By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Machinima shuts down their Youtube channel, leaving all videos permanently privated

OTBWY said:
The end of another classic channel. Meh, as long as AVGN content is fine, i'm fine.

At least his content is ( or at least was, not sure if it still is ), available on dvd and blu-ray if the worst were to happen. I think his stuff is safe though.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
OTBWY said:
The end of another classic channel. Meh, as long as AVGN content is fine, i'm fine.

At least his content is ( or at least was, not sure if it still is ), available on dvd and blu-ray if the worst were to happen. I think his stuff is safe though.

I already downloaded the full seasons ;) just for safekeeping.

Warner recently killed Dramafever. I don't blame people for selling to these big media corporations, they earned their payday, but it's often the beginning of the end for the fans and supporters.

OTBWY said:
COKTOE said:

Good move. His videos are definitely something I should get around to backing up. So many vids though! I've watched them all at least 2-3 times, and some of the older ones much more than that. Like I do with sitcoms, it's something I'll sometimes put on even if I'm not paying full attention to it, like when doing housework or exercising.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
OTBWY said:

Good move. His videos are definitely something I should get around to backing up. So many vids though! I've watched them all at least 2-3 times, and some of the older ones much more than that. Like I do with sitcoms, it's something I'll sometimes put on even if I'm not paying full attention to it, like when doing housework or exercising.

Sometimes, I watch one just so I can sleep.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
CaptainExplosion said:
Thanks for nothing, YouTube copyright system.

Yeah, it's utter garbage. It's gotten to the point where half the Youtubers now just disable ads on their videos and set up patreons for their fans to support them because there is just too much risk of your videos being flagged if there are ads on them. Then there was the case earlier this week where Warner-Chappel, another subsidiary of the same company that now owns Machinima and was responsible for this shutdown, went against a deal between a Star Wars fan film creator and LucasFilm to not have any ads on the Vader fan film, only for Warner-Chappel to copyright flag the Vader Fan Film and enable ads with the money being funneled to them, something they didn't work on and had no involvement with (though thankfully LucasFilm stepped in after the internet backlash and forced Warner-Chappel to disable ads again). 

This also seems to be giving the companies more leverage to just have free reign when it comes to slapping their ads and making money from all the users out there. Youtubers use patreon, while companies make money from them unchecked, it's quite the shitty system, because the companies want to have their cake, eat it too, while denying you any kind of slice. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Flilix said:
Huh. The first time I've heard of them was yesterday, because I watched a video about them that Youtube recommended to me.

It must have been a sign...

Well i herd of them just now if it makes you feel any better lol.

Damn, that's actually quite sad to hear. I used to watch them religiously back in the day. Arby and the chief is an excellent series for a cheap laugh

How the mighty have fallen.

And that is why every creator should have a physical backup of all of their work, because shit like this can happen all the time. I hope they can recover their videos, though, it's sad to see so many years of internet history just gone like that.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Holy shit! That's quite a blow to gaming culture, actually. I hope someone somewhere archived it. It would be tragic to lose it all forever, but since it was on Youtube, there's a good chance someone downloaded it all. I've seen lots of smaller channels go down and a dedicated fan create a memorial channel, could something like that happen this time?