By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Charts Yearly Total - December 8th

drinkandswim said:
kenjab said:

The confusing part is that, in the hardware chart in the OP, the Yearly numbers are as of the 15th, but the LTD numbers are as of the 8th.  As of the 15th, the Switch has sold 14.4M in 2018 with 27.5M sold LTD, but the chart shows 26.2M sold LTD.

Yup that is what is throwing me off.

Yeah, that's  because that part of the chart is not updated like the rest, but believe me, the lastest hardware numbers are until 15th Dec.

From that 26'2M from 8th Dec you have to add 1'3M for the week and then you have the updated number of 27'5M for the year until 15th Dec.

Around the Network
colafitte said:

drinkandswim said:

Yeah, that's  because that part of the chart is not updated like the rest, but believe me, the lastest hardware numbers are until 15th Dec.

From that 26'2M from 8th Dec you have to add 1'3M for the week and then you have the updated number of 27'5M for the year until 15th Dec.

I believe you!

colafitte said:

drinkandswim said:

Just messes up my estimates because I didnt know until now lol.

Are the US Yearly totals as of the 15th too?

Best Selling Exclusives of 2018 (So Far)

01. Spider-Man - 7,372,012
02. God of War - 5,778,234
03. Pokemon Let's Go - 5,413,631
04. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 5,067,945
05. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 4,424,805
06. Super Mario Odyssey - 3,279,962
07. Super Mario Party - 3,168,076
08. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 2,860,115
09. Splatoon 2 - 2,611,824
10. Kirby Star Allies - 1,843,802

3 weeks left and the battle for #1 is between Spidey and Smash. The mobile inspired Pokemon Let's Go will easily surpass GOW and will end up at #3, while the Wii U port MK8D will battle Kratos for the 4th spot.

Around the Network
drinkandswim said:

Are the US Yearly totals as of the 15th too?

In those graphics, if i'm correct what are you meaning. YTD are updated, lifetime  are NOT (don't know why), the same as the worldwide chart of the OP (i think but i'm not sure right now).

colafitte said:
Clank said:

Expected a bit more for smash since 1st week in france was 220k but well I guess its not very big here... Nintendo should cut the price in spain soon where sony has been dominating for so long but I guess they need to keep the same for all EU, still 300 e compared to 300 d (260e) and 30k yen (240e) is too much

More surprising to me is Spyro nowhere to be seen in this top 20. I guess we don't care at all about Spyro in Spain....

As for Switch numbers..., i guess they're absolutely fine, is just that this is Spain after all, SONYLAND, and PS4 has a huge advantage in hardware. I have to add too, from a spanish perspective, Nintendo was never huge as in USA or Japan, or even relevant until Pokemon came in 1998. Most people here associated Nintendo consoles with Pokemon. Mario, Zelda, etc became more popular much later. So that's why PS has always dominated so much here.

Yea I think most people (including me) bought 3ds when pokemon X/Y came out, same for gba with rsapphire ruby... And I already had gbc gba and ds. As for home consoles I guess mario kart for wii was huge everywhere but wii u wasnt rly a thing. However, PKLG had many bad reviews in Spain and haters so I dont think that many ppl bought the console for it, im expeexpecting a big increase if pkmn 2019 is good

Clank said:
colafitte said:

More surprising to me is Spyro nowhere to be seen in this top 20. I guess we don't care at all about Spyro in Spain....

As for Switch numbers..., i guess they're absolutely fine, is just that this is Spain after all, SONYLAND, and PS4 has a huge advantage in hardware. I have to add too, from a spanish perspective, Nintendo was never huge as in USA or Japan, or even relevant until Pokemon came in 1998. Most people here associated Nintendo consoles with Pokemon. Mario, Zelda, etc became more popular much later. So that's why PS has always dominated so much here.

Yea I think most people (including me) bought 3ds when pokemon X/Y came out, same for gba with rsapphire ruby... And I already had gbc gba and ds. As for home consoles I guess mario kart for wii was huge everywhere but wii u wasnt rly a thing. However, PKLG had many bad reviews in Spain and haters so I dont think that many ppl bought the console for it, im expeexpecting a big increase if pkmn 2019 is good

Nintendo home consoles did not very good across all Europe in the 90's...for whatever reason, but the original GameBoy did, so when Pokemon launched here, it was as successful as everywhere else. It was a true phonemon that brought a lot of people to Nintendo consoles and Nintendo games. Those who liked Pokemon on GB, then bought a GBA and then a DS playing a lot of other Nintendo classic franchises. By the time Wii came, it was ready to be the first successful home console in Spain (and i guess the rest of Europe too) and thanks to hype, price, games, etc it worked as great as US for a home console for the first time ever, and that's why Wii became the most successful home console for Nintendo ever, because this time it had Europe support too.

So, If anybody wonders why Pokemon Let's go did better in Spain than games like Super Mario Odyssey or Smash Bros Ultimate this is why. Pokemon is still the number 1 Nintendo franchise here.

colafitte said:
Clank said:

Nintendo home consoles did not very good across all Europe in the 90's...for whatever reason, but the original GameBoy did, so when Pokemon launched here, it was as successful as everywhere else. It was a true phonemon that brought a lot of people to Nintendo consoles and Nintendo games. Those who liked Pokemon on GB, then bought a GBA and then a DS playing a lot of other Nintendo classic franchises. By the time Wii came, it was ready to be the first successful home console in Spain (and i guess the rest of Europe too) and thanks to hype, price, games, etc it worked as great as US for a home console for the first time ever, and that's why Wii became the most successful home console for Nintendo ever, because this time it had Europe support too.

So, If anybody wonders why Pokemon Let's go did better in Spain than games like Super Mario Odyssey or Smash Bros Ultimate this is why. Pokemon is still the number 1 Nintendo franchise here.

Yea all the streamers and youtubers gave too much importance to pklg launch bc of the nostalgia it brought, lets see how new generation does and its good that we are getting actual numbers about sales here! :)

Europe was a late market. Nintendo was pretty silent here, while Sega had adds on TV. Also, gaming is still seen as "not healthy" for many people over 40 years old.

When the war was between Sega and Nintendo, both were pretty equal in Europe. So when Sega fell, Sony took the spot easily. Now, if you add the type of games, european gamers like a lot adventure-type games like GOW, RDR2, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, GTA or Uncharted, racing with Mario Kart or Grand Turismo, soccer with FIFA, and the teenargers like FPS like COD, Far Cry or Battlefield.

You add Mario and Pokemon in the picture (that's why the Switch still sells. And games like Splatoon) but you get the picture why Sony dominates so much, why Microsoft can sell some consoles here and why Switch is selling a less than in the US/Japan. Then there is also secondary market, like JRPG's and fighting games to complete the picture.

But a new Pokemon game + a price cut will create a huge boost in Europe. Also, Nintendo is trying to compete here by getting games like Fortnite and Fighter Z. They will lack games like FIFA or FPS's (but who knows for the latter), but the exclusives will still be a huge factor. And gamers will get both consoles (XOne is virtually dead here. They were outsold 4:1 by the PS4 and 2.5:1 by the NS. NS will pass them in 2019), since they bought a PS4 long ago and the PS5 isn't announced yet.