Forums - Gaming Discussion - HTC VR announcements CES 2019 - Vive Pro Eye, Vive Cosmos

WolfpackN64 said:
Peh said:

I don't think a helmet sounds appealing. This would have additional weight, additional costs for materials and also increase the temperature inside the helmet. 

The design as it is now is already good.

You would have better weight distribution though, and there are ways to ventilate such a device.

I actually never understood the issue with the weight, though. I got the Vive and Vive Pro at home. None of them feels like the HMD is placing weight on the front of the head or dragging you down. The mount on the Pro is far superior of course, but I never understood that complain. I actually don't  really feel any additional weight on my head.

I can only say to not use the Vive without the deluxe strap, because the HMD doesn't sit as good on your head than with it.

So far, a helmet would be more bulky imo.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB VRAM | Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:
Kerotan said:

If it's not ready for psvr 2 by 2020 ps5 launch then they should hold off a year until 2021. The psvr needs tangible upgrades not token gestures. 

If I were Sony I wouldn't release two big ticket items in the same year anyway. PS5 in 2020, VR2 in '21 or 2, possibly a 5 Pro in '23 or 4.

Bingo! Imo I think it would be a mistake. Hype it up and launch it holiday 2020. 

Good news for future on VR, but those are some ugly kupos.

On the wireless. I guess we can have something like a breakout box and processor that you plug to the power outlet so you don't need to hook to the computer or console. So you don't need a cable crossing the room. But full Wireless I'm not really looking at the moment. Even my surround system is cable based for cheaper, more reliable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

TallSilhouette said:

I wonder if setups like Gear and Daydream will be able employ eye tracking and/or FovR in the near future. They already have front facing cameras that might work for it.

The front facing cameras aren't for tracking the eyes.  They are for getting a 3D image of the room.

But there are various projects to try adding on a camera for other headsets, I don't see why Gear can't have one.

Kerotan said:

The psvr needs tangible upgrades not token gestures. 

I think people are going to be very impressed with the jump.

Higher resolution, larger field of view are definitely going to happen.

Foveated rendering, wireless would be awesome, but I'd expect only the former.

WolfpackN64 said:
I wonder at this point if VR wouldn't work better in a helmet. You'd have more space to put components and you could space them out more. It would probably be more comfortable due to better weight distribution as well.

I don't really think it'd be worth it.  The headsets aren't terribly heavy.  

The halo design on the PSVR is actually very comfortable.  

the-pi-guy said:
TallSilhouette said:

I wonder if setups like Gear and Daydream will be able employ eye tracking and/or FovR in the near future. They already have front facing cameras that might work for it.

The front facing cameras aren't for tracking the eyes.  They are for getting a 3D image of the room.

But there are various projects to try adding on a camera for other headsets, I don't see why Gear can't have one.

Kerotan said:

The psvr needs tangible upgrades not token gestures. 

I think people are going to be very impressed with the jump.

Higher resolution, larger field of view are definitely going to happen.

Foveated rendering, wireless would be awesome, but I'd expect only the former.

WolfpackN64 said:
I wonder at this point if VR wouldn't work better in a helmet. You'd have more space to put components and you could space them out more. It would probably be more comfortable due to better weight distribution as well.

I don't really think it'd be worth it.  The headsets aren't terribly heavy.  

The halo design on the PSVR is actually very comfortable.  

Impressed because the PSVR is very basic and the tech has come on a lot since? So a PSVR2 in 2021 should be a lot better then the first? I hope they release a $299 VR beast and bring it's price down over the course of the gen. 

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
TallSilhouette said:

I was referring to the front facing cameras on the smartphones these headsets use.

Kerotan said:

Impressed because the PSVR is very basic and the tech has come on a lot since? So a PSVR2 in 2021 should be a lot better then the first? I hope they release a $299 VR beast and bring it's price down over the course of the gen. 

Not just since, but a lot of great stuff is just a few years away.  VR is going to move pretty quickly.  

I think there's a reasonable chance next gen that the best looking games will actually be on VR.  

TallSilhouette said:

I was referring to the front facing cameras on the smartphones these headsets use.

Oh my bad!  That makes more sense.  

TallSilhouette said:
the-pi-guy said:

Eyetracking cams usually work with an array of infra-red lights around the eyes and infra-red cams tracking the pupil movements (~250Hz seems to be the magic number to enable FovR). Smartphone (visible light) cams probably won't get enough light to reliably track the pupil, especially at 240+ images per sec. Btw I've yet to see a phone with cams at both ends of the display.

Lafiel said:
TallSilhouette said:

Eyetracking cams usually work with an array of infra-red lights around the eyes and infra-red cams tracking the pupil movements (~250Hz seems to be the magic number to enable FovR). Smartphone (visible light) cams probably won't get enough light to reliably track the pupil, especially at 240+ images per sec. Btw I've yet to see a phone with cams at both ends of the display.

Is that not bad for your eyes having infra-red lights shining into them? 

Kerotan said:
Lafiel said:

Is that not bad for your eyes having infra-red lights shining into them? 

It's only bad when it's extremely high power.