By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 15 December 2018

Oh boy...where to start...

To those saying the Switch is not in competition with PS4 and X1, you are out of your minds.  In many instances they run the same games from 3rd parties.  If someone wants higher performance, they get for PS4 or X1.  If the ability to seamlessly swap between portable and home console play without losing any progression, only the Switch can do that.  People will decide on getting one version over the other based on their needs, meaning that those versions are competing with eachother on a consumer to consumer basis.

Stating that the Switch and PS4 cannot both have gangbuster numbers and remain competitive with eachother just makes no sense at all.  I have a PS4 and an X1...so by that logic they are not competitors either?  Two competitors can both be hugely successful.  The fact that the PS4 is still successful while also competing with the hugely successful Switch just means that both consoles are desired for one reason or another.  Just because many buy both does not mean they are not competitive with eachother.

Now for those saying Nintendo is done with consoles...

Just stop.  You are either drinking the cool aid that clickbait articles have twisted or you are trying to twist things yourself.  You are making yourself look bad!

Nintendo president made a comment about being flexible in the market when consoles are no longer viable...you know...the same thing Sony and MS have been talking about.  They may go third party, they may have their own PC gaming service like steam, they may get into streaming like Sony and MS are trying to push, or they may do something entirely different to deliver their games.  Just because he made one mention of mobile games does not mean that Nintendo is shifting to mobile.  It means that they are looking to explore that avenue alongside their other ventures...just like other big devs these days...

Mention of theme parks and the like shows that theu are expanding their brand to something of a Disney level.  They will be using their established IPs to do so and will be growing as a whole.  When Disney Land became a thing, Disney stop making movies?

So please, you are only making yourself lool bad with this tired twisting of words.  You are reaching and you know it...

OT

Great numbers for Switch and even PS4.  The holiday as a whole has been good to all 3.  Glad to see it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:

He obviously is reaching.

The NS is built from the ground up as a handheld. The NS will be the NS without a dock and nothing mre than a cable t connect it t a tv if you so choose. However if you bought only a dock it will be absolutely nothing but a paperweight without the NS. Yet he calls it a home console. Even his view as to why its a hybrid is centred around nintendo pooling its software divisions as opposed to actually looking at the hardware.

Its strange t me how anyone can not understand the concept f sub markets in the same industry. I dont even get why saying the NS is primarily a handheld and in a different market is a bad thing.

Same people that will deny PSP/PSVita was a hybrid because it only needed a cable to hook to TV or that it could play console games on the go with streaming... but Switch is a console because you need a piece of plastic with I/O to connect it to TV.

The Switch is a hybrid console because it is both portable and home console, not because a piece of plastic, but because it has two separate functions and changes the resolution and performance based on being docked or undocked.  It is not just sending a signal to the TV, but also stepping up or down the processing power to perform differently based on if it is being used as a weaker home console, or a very powerful handheld.  This makes it both and therefore it competes in the console space as well as portable.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

OTBWY said:
DonFerrari said:

Same people that will deny PSP/PSVita was a hybrid because it only needed a cable to hook to TV or that it could play console games on the go with streaming... but Switch is a console because you need a piece of plastic with I/O to connect it to TV.

You are just not understanding a very simple notion. Please study 5 forces of Porter to at least have an idea of what we are talking about.

It isn't downplaying Switch as competitor because PS4 isn't doing well. It is just that even though a shoe maker in Brazil and one in China may not be direct competitors because they don't sell in each other market. Mc Donalds isn't direct competitor for a Bistrô, because they won't attract same people or even have they trading one for the other, but they are indirect and replaceable.

Wii was a desktop console as PS3 and X360, but also wasn't direct competitor. They were on a blue ocean strategy, alone in their market while PS360 fought for what was the traditional console market. You denying this just paint you as someone without knowledge on the subject as I refuse to adjetive you due to your OPINION.

You don't scare me with your 5 forces of Porter boast, Don. I know exactly the market they are competing in, and in fact I think some points can be clarified here. 

- New hardware is introduced in reaction to each other. Same with how the WiiU competed with the PS4 and Xbox One, and got replaced by the Switch as a new proposition against those platforms. Same reason why the Pro and One X were released.
- The similarity in games. The Switch doesn't get all new releases, but it does get a fair amount of multiplats and indies also released on other platforms.
- Marketing. There is not a big difference in audience and age groups anymore. The marketing of the Switch has shown teens way more than what they prevously would focus on. This is the exact group the Playstation and Xbox are geared towards.
- They are in the same regions. Unlike your Brazilian shoemaker analogy, they are available in game stores everywhere globally.
- They are pretty much in the same price range. The games are as well.

I can go on but I think the point is largely made.

As for gen 7, please explain to me why Sony made the PS Move, or why MS made the Kinect. Hell, explain to me why Nintendo made the classic controller. And how exactly didn't these consoles compete directly when the same principle of time and attention. It's like, you are saying that they were competing but then again somehow not. Did they or did they not? Why are purposefully downplaying here Don? Is it the same as that time you got mad over someone saying the Switch was killing it?

PS360 making Move and Kinect shows exactly that they weren't direct competitors before. They made the Move and Eye to tap into the blue ocean market of Nintendo. Or you'll say that you have blue ocean with direct competitors instead of differentiation and being sole provider?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Smash Brothers

OTBWY said:

A gamer has 24 hours a day, some of which he or she spends a certain set of hours on playing games. They have two hands, made to hold one controller to play one game. When a gamer chooses to buy a PS4 game over a Switch game in the store, that is choosing one over the other. Factors can be for example a certain preference in genre. You see. That way they are competing for that persons attention. Do I need to explain consumer markets further?

Those are really broad strokes you are taking.

By your logic every gamer that owns a phone (which can play fortnite or pubg) shouldn't also need to buy a console. Unless choice of controller input is genre for you. But how will you explain the PS4 going onto have its best year on the market in the same year the NS launched and outselling the NS the following year too all the while the sales of the XB1 has remain unchanged if all three are in direct competition? Do you feel if the NS didnt exist last year or this year sales of both the PS4/XB1 will be up by around like say 7M each in each of those years?

You want to narrow it down t as long as its playing games its the same....... but no matter how you spin it its just not. And reasoning like that makes it impossible to debate with you. Which is aso why you dismissed the car analogy. If I were talking like you I could just say that all cars serve to get you from point A to point B.

OTBWY said: 

Secondly, and this is important. If consoles didn't compete, there would be very little reason to release a new console every year or so. The SNES for example was never intended in the first place, since Nintendo thought the NES would go on way longer. However, due to the Megadrive being released (which was made to compete directly with the NES, not the SNES - at first) they had to make a new console in order to compete. This hasn't changed, although, Nintendo has chosen style of play over raw graphical power.

No one said consoles didn't compete. We are saying there is something called direct competitors and indirect competitors. And this is the concept that seems hard for you to grasp. 

PS4/XB1? Direct competitors. PS4/NS? Indirect competitors.

In the first case if you have one you almost nearly will never need the other. This is because their form factor is identical, their function and services are identical and the bulk of their library is identical. In the second case, one offers things that are just impossible on the other. So both can coexist and one ding well wouldn't mean the other will suffer.

OTBWY said: 

Don't bring in cars please, it's nonsense. Most choices made by consumers buying specific cars are because of price. The differences in prices aren't anywhere near in the console market. If lambos were all as cheap a volkwagens, everyone would buy one.

You are showing how limited your understanding of these things are.

Price, while important isn't the drivin force when it comes to cars. Its practicality. And by practicality we mean how well does the car do what you want it to do? And when you see it for what it is you then realize that that same driving force (practicality) applies to everything. Because practicality is subjective. Eg, a mother of 3 kids will NOT buy a lamborghini even if its costs $500 because its a two seater and she needs something that can sit all her children.

A gamer will NOT buy a PS4 if he doesnt have a TV and does most of his gaming on the go. And if he does have a TV and  PS4 he will still buy a NS because it lets him play games on the go. But that gamer will not buy an XB1 if he has a PS4 because its practically the same thin and doesn't  offer anything he isn already getting

See how that works?

OTBWY said: 

"It doesn matter what nintendo calls it or says it is "

And there you have it. How can anyone argue with this fake news. lol. Also, the PS3 was used for setting up multiple supercomputers and the Xbox was always a media hub. Where is the lie in this exactly?

On the last part, thank you for explaining what you think a home console should be. You of course have that authority to decide what a home console is over the manufacturers themselves. It's almost like the manufacturers don't move the concept of what a home console forward because some guy has an arbitrary idea of what a home console should be. So silly.

Hmmmmmmm.......

We aren't sheep here. And we can at the very least apply some common sense.

Sony called the PS3 a PC. And while it could be used as a PC, it was not a PC. It was a game console. And don't take my word for it, just look at the agencies that denied sony registering it as a PC cause they saw through that sony were just attempting to qualify for a lower tax bracket.

And MS championed media hub and 1B in sales because the XB1 had a vide input and the XB1 could run windows apps. But yet the XB1 lived and died on its viability as a game console regardless of how or what MS described it.

Nintendo can call the NS a home console. But I am not stupid. I know what a home console is and what makes something a home console. I have almost 30yrs of console history to look at if I need to be reminded. I also know what a handheld is and what makes it a handheld, again.... I have 30+ yrs worth of hardware to know what that is. So i am sorry, but when nintendo takes what by design, form and function is a handheld and ships it with a dock that lets you connect it to your tv....... that doesn't suddenly make it a home console for me. Regardless of whatever kinda PR BS nintendo spews. But now if we called it a hybrid... then no argument there.

If I am wrong? fine... if this somehow makes me silly in your book? thats fine too. But as i said.... I have seen a lot f handhelds, and the NS is looks and acts more like a handheld than anything else... so idk......

More interestingly though,  try something. Type "all handheld consoles" on google and see what pops up. Then type "all home consoles"..........

Last I will say on this matter Thread has been derailed enough.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 08 January 2019

Around the Network
Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

The Switch is a hybrid console because it is both portable and home console, not because a piece of plastic, but because it has two separate functions and changes the resolution and performance based on being docked or undocked.  It is not just sending a signal to the TV, but also stepping up or down the processing power to perform differently based on if it is being used as a weaker home console, or a very powerful handheld.  This makes it both and therefore it competes in the console space as well as portable.

The dock provides energy and cooling. It doesn't grant any special feature to Switch. If someone hacked his switch to run full performance without the dock would then it become the desktop console even holding in the hand? Also Nintendo is selling it without dock in Japan.

And you fall in the same trap of OTBWY of confusing direct and indirect competitors.

If PS4 wasn't in the market X1 would sell much more and vice-versa (you having both is irrelevant). If Switch didn't launch neither PS4 nor X1 would have sold much more.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

You can think as much as you want. I didn't say they aren't competitors, I denied that they are DIRECT competitors as you claimed. Smartphones and tablets play games but they also aren't direct competitors to consoles. Even Wii wasn't direct competitor to PS360. Because the presence or absence of this competitor didn't effectively affect the others in the market. Switch is an indirect competitor or a replaceable for these machines. As in they compete for playtime or shelf-space on the store, and if neither Sony or MS keeps a viable plan on the market then consumers will go to Switch.

But on regular day basis almost no one changes their intention to buy PS4 or X1 because of Switch. Evidence is PS4 breaking record when Switch launched instead of sales drop.

Thank to say I'm malicious and probably evil with PS4 selling more than Switch in 2017 and 2018, so I have no idea where your point comes from. Stating facts that doesn't align with your beliefs isn't being malicious.

The NS is built from the ground up as a handheld. The NS will be the NS without a dock and nothing mre than a cable t connect it t a tv if you so choose. However if you bought only a dock it will be absolutely nothing but a paperweight without the NS. Yet he calls it a home console. Even his view as to why its a hybrid is centred around nintendo pooling its software divisions as opposed to actually looking at the hardware.

Its strange t me how anyone can not understand the concept f sub markets in the same industry. I dont even get why saying the NS is primarily a handheld and in a different market is a bad thing.

Some people consider it a bad thing because then they would have to admit that Nintendo is kinda done with home consoles. Personally I think thats a good thing, why not stick to something you know you're good at and won't see much pushback?

oniyide said:
Intrinsic said:

Some people consider it a bad thing because then they would have to admit that Nintendo is kinda done with home consoles. Personally I think thats a good thing, why not stick to something you know you're good at and won't see much pushback?

And looking at how well Switch is doing and the good and increasing support it is getting for 3rd parties I have no idea why so defensive to the point to think that Sony fans are butthurt with the success of Switch, even if PS4 will end ahead.

Intrinsic said:

. But I am not stupid. I know what a home console is and what makes something a home console. I have almost 30yrs of consoles to look it if I need to be reminded. I also know what a handheld is and what makes it a handheld, again.... I have 30+ yrs worth f hardware to know what that is. So i am sorry, but when nintendo takes what by design, form and function is a handheld and ships it with a dock that lets you connect it to your tv....... that doesn't suddenly make it a home console for me. Regardless of whatever kinda PR BS nintendo spews.

If I am wrong? fine... if this somehow makes me silly in your book? thats fine too. But as i said.... I have seen a lot f handhelds, and the NS is looks and acts more like a handheld than anything else... so idk......

More interestingly though,  try something. Type "all handheld consoles" on google and see what pops up. Then type "all home consoles"..........

Well, if you go by "it's not what a console is used to look like, it's more like a handheld because I've seen both in 30 years and that's dictates me how I see what is a console and what is a handheld", I can make non-sense arguments to answer that.

What cell-phones looked like for almost 20 years:

What they do now:

And what they're will in the future:

Does it look like a phone to you ? But it is.

DonFerrari said:
oniyide said:

And looking at how well Switch is doing and the good and increasing support it is getting for 3rd parties I have no idea why so defensive to the point to think that Sony fans are butthurt with the success of Switch, even if PS4 will end ahead.

Exactly, Switch is something IMHO that should've happened a LONG time ago. Wii was there best selling home console but when you look at all their home consoles as a whole the sales are ok, the portables have always done better.