By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 15 December 2018

Damn.. That Smash Bros. effect though..

With regards to a couple of the ongoing squabbles - can I play the Switch as a home console? Then it's a home console. It's also a handheld console. It's literally as simple as this folks. There's such a thing as grey area, it doesn't have to be black and white.

Additionally, yes the Switch is a competitor to the PS4. The Switch is a video game console. The PS4/Xbox One are also video game consoles. Again, simple stuff, people. They even have many of the exact same games.

Sure you could say they are vastly different in certain areas, and that there are segments of the market that Nintendo will reach that Sony simply will not, and vice versa, but I don't know how you can do these mental gymnastics trying to justify how two video game consoles (no matter how different), aren't inevitably going to have at least some overlap in terms of competing for the same market. They compete for the same dollars of largely the same market of people who play video games.

Put it this way - When I decide to invest in Smash Bros Ultimate, that's money out of my pocket that I likely would have been more inclined to spend on, say Assassin's Creed Odyssey for my Xbox One, which I otherwise am going to be waiting a bit for a price drop on that one. When I decide to pick up another Xbox One controller, that causes me to hold off on snagging that extra pair of expensive joycons. And so on.. It also is a competition for my gaming time, as I can only play one console at a time.

I do find it interesting that you only tend to hear these justifications as to how Nintendo is doing a "different thing" when they are outselling the competition. When they are not though, people sure are quick to harp on the fact the non-competing PS4 is outperforming the Switch..

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 08 January 2019

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

wow!!!! Great things happen with switch!

Just to be clear..... my only stake in this debate was saying that nintendo is not in the "home console" business and how the NS is not a "Home console".

I didnt say its only selling or selling well because its a handheld or that its not performing well.

I also did say that its an indirect competitor with the PS4/XB1 not t downplay its sales but to point out that it can coexist with either platform and it doing well will not affect the others adversely and vice versa because it offers something totally different from what the others offer.

Felt I needed to say this because all of a sudden the debate I was in is being called all manner of strange things.

Replicant said:
zorg1000 said:

You have to think, why was it brought up in the first place? Why would someone bring up Switch being a handheld that hooks up to a TV and that it's not a direct competitor to PS4/XBO in this thread? It has nothing to do with weekly sales so the only logical conclusion is that they did it to downplay the fact that it had an amazing week.

I don't get why it's important to either side. It's not like Switch will take more/less market share from PS4 depending on whether we define it as a hybrid/handheld/home console.

What do either side gain?

So let me ask again, why was it brought up for any reason other to downplay?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

But guys it doesnt matter anyway since the switch isnt even the same generation

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Just to be clear..... my only stake in this debate was saying that nintendo is not in the "home console" business and how the NS is not a "Home console".

I didnt say its only selling or selling well because its a handheld or that its not performing well.

I also did say that its an indirect competitor with the PS4/XB1 not t downplay its sales but to point out that it can coexist with either platform and it doing well will not affect the others adversely and vice versa because it offers something totally different from what the others offer.

Felt I needed to say this because all of a sudden the debate I was in is being called all manner of strange things.

I dont think anybody was talking about you specifically, more like the person who brought it up to begin with.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Replicant said:

I don't get why it's important to either side. It's not like Switch will take more/less market share from PS4 depending on whether we define it as a hybrid/handheld/home console.

What do either side gain?

So let me ask again, why was it brought up for any reason other to downplay?

You could very well be right. I just don't get what's on stake.

Whether we define Switch as hybrid/handheld/home console won't change its huge sales.

kirby007 said:

This as well. I don't get what either side has to gain by Switch being 8th or 9th gen.

Why does it matter if it wins over/loses to PS4+XB1 or PS5+XB Next?

kirby007 said:

That's right! Online alone is probably....I'd peg it at around......gen 5.5. Not quite at the level of the XBL rollout in 2002, but comfortably ahead of the Sega Saturn.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

TheBlackNaruto said:
Mar1217 said:

The clux of the argumentation I've seen from one side came as a desperate effort in not recognizing the Switch as a device that should compete in direct opposition with other home consoles because of it's broad offering despite having feature akin of what you find in any home console devices. Does it come from hate ? Absolutely not. That's way too strong of a word to even say such a thing, annoyance may be what you're searching for instead.

Annoyance yeah that can be said. But that can be said for just about any and everything to be honest but I can actually respect that more than someone saying downplaying or hating. Heck during the Wii era it was said that it was not direct comp with the PS4/XB1 and it seemed to be a general consensus. The PS3/XB360 directly competed and the Wii indirectly. Not sure why it is all of a sudden such a big deal with saying it about the Switch.

drinkandswim said:

#1 Global Hardware sales until 2022. At least maybe longer. We will see if that starts in 2018 or 2019 soon!

So then if that is the case why in your previous post did you put the PS4 as the #2 console and XB1 as the #3? Wouldn't the PS4 be number 1 since it is the #1 console in global hardware sales for 2018? Or are you saying you think the Switch will be #1 for 2018? Lastly so you are saying the Switch will be the number one global console until 2022 at the LEAST. So what are you Switch sales predictions for those years then?

I think Global will be close but i expect Sony to win 2018 about 18M to 17M. But I do think they will win US.

2019 22 million

2020 24 million

2021 22 million

2022 20 million

Last edited by drinkandswim - on 08 January 2019