By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Persona 5 R - Teaser trailer and site. Next announcement coming March 2019.

I'll enjoy the lack of Switch version while I can.

The despair of others is my enjoyment

Around the Network
betacon said:
Interesting it says new projects so sounds like more than one announcement a fighting game and maybe a direct sequel to P5? Highly doubt it's Person Red with that playstation logo at the start.

I was thinking it may be the fighting game, but if what we see in the trailer are in-game assets then I'm guessing it's probably not, because Arcsys fighting games have this cartoony style to them. 

Well, not that Persona 5 isn't cartoony, but they have a distinct style, and I don't expect Shibuya to look the way it did in this trailer, in a potential P5 Arena.

That said, it would make little sense if Atlus weren't planning a P5A. And in a recent interview about Blaz Blue Cross Tag, Arcsys said they didn't want to add too many Persona characters because they wanted to "save some for a future fighting game". Probably meant 'potential' future fighting game, but it could be an indication that it's at least in the planning stages.

But the Playstation logo is a bit confusing. Even if this was P5 Arena, it should be on Xbox as well. Maybe we'll have more platforms announced for P5R later.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
I wish they move on with P5.
It should have been P6 now.
Hoping P5R is a continuation of the story. Not just P4G. Like FFX-2.

That would be very interesting. Few rpgs get direct sequels like that. I wish it was more common, because after you finish a story, you some times feel like checking in on the characters again a few years later.

mZuzek said:
Just give it to me on the Switch for fuck's sake

Yeah, I expected this to go down the other way around. Switch announced first, and then we'd speculate if it would also come to PS4.
Not sure why there is a Playstation logo at the beginning.

Hiku said:
mZuzek said:
Just give it to me on the Switch for fuck's sake

Yeah, I expected this to go down the other way around. Switch announced first, and then we'd speculate if it would also come to PS4.

Well I'm not too concerned over whether it's coming or not because the Smash announcement very much assured me it is, but ugh I just want to play this game so bad, everytime something's announced related to it without any Switch release date or even confirmation just brings out that anxiety.

mZuzek said:
Hiku said:

Well I'm not too concerned over whether it's coming or not because the Smash announcement very much assured me it is, but ugh I just want to play this game so bad, everytime something's announced related to it without any Switch release date or even confirmation just brings out that anxiety.

I'm fairly sure we'll see a P5 on Switch as well. But it is possible that P5R is something different than what we expect, and isn't planned for anything but PS4. And that P5M is the enhanced version, etc.
I guess that's why these teasers can be interesting to speculate about some times. I'm gonna look around the internet later to see if anyone recognizes that purple/green flash at the end.

Last edited by Hiku - on 30 December 2018

Announced for ps4 at the very least.

Around the Network

Let’s remember that this was a commercial on tv, so they had to have some type of starter to it(the ps4 logo). I would be so shocked to not see a switch release

MasonADC said:
Let’s remember that this was a commercial on tv, so they had to have some type of starter to it(the ps4 logo). I would be so shocked to not see a switch release

Wait, really? A teaser this vague was a TV commercial? o_O

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
MasonADC said:

Wait, really? A teaser this vague was a TV commercial? o_O

Yep, although it was paired with the debut of the Persona 5 animation special. IMO the ps4 logo was to reassure viewers that P5R is separate from the show

MasonADC said: 
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Wait, really? A teaser this vague was a TV commercial? o_O @AngryLittleAlchemist

Yep, although it was paired with the debut of the Persona 5 animation special. IMO the ps4 logo was to reassure viewers that P5R is separate from the show

The video I linked to was on AtlusJp's official Youtube channel though. And it's not like they would only make one version designed only for TV. That's why this is odd.
A game trailer appearing on Xbox's official channel can start off with an Xbox logo, while on Playstation's channel, it will be different even if the rest of the video is identical.

Here's an example:

Xbox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwYU1Nh3I0

Playstation:

It's the exact same trailer, but it differs in that the one on Xbox's channel starts and ends with the Xbox logo animation. The Playstation version has no logos in the actual video, but rather they have the Playstation logo on the thumbnail.

Promotional Videos like this can, and often are, altered depending on where they're shown.
And Atlus' Youtube site definitely has custom made videos, as you can see by the specific thumbnails they have, that are not just random uploads.

Typically, a multiplat game would not have any console logo at the start of the trailer on Atlus own channel.

Just like that same DMC V trailer I posted above is devoid of any console branding animation when you check on the Devil May Cry's own official Youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFSxzRLK1fo

The fact that this video has the Playstation logo animation on Atlus' official Youtube site, which clearly customizes videos for their channel, is pretty unusual if this is a multiplat game.
Maybe this was a rare slipup, although I doubt it, because it's standard practice to make sure those promotional console logos/animations are not there, as you don't want people to think your product is available on fewer systems than it really is. You leave that to the console makers themselves. Things like that is literally why their Youtube editors are paid. So if someone left that in by mistake, they didn't do their job.
Or maybe Atlus are intentionally only specifying one console when they know they'll announce it for more systems later. But that's a very strange strategy.

It's also possible that Persona 5R is not the enhanced version we've been expecting, but something else. There are after all several Persona 5 related projects incoming.

Last edited by Hiku - on 30 December 2018

Hiku said: 
NoCtiS_NoX said:
I wish they move on with P5.
It should have been P6 now.
Hoping P5R is a continuation of the story. Not just P4G. Like FFX-2.

That would be very interesting. Few rpgs get direct sequels like that. I wish it was more common, because after you finish a story, you some times feel like checking in on the characters again a few years later.

Most of the P4 spin-offs (except PQ) happened a few years later and showed how the characters evolved in the story mode though, no?