By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Wyrdness said:
Bandorr said:
Trying to follow the Thomas Cook thing.

The country will have to pay over 600 million to get people back to where they came from. But apparently it would have taken only 200 million to bail out the airport?
So why was 200 million + saving a ton of peoples jobs a worse option than spending 600+?

To give some insight on the financial situation TC's approach is a combination of higher ups still taking bonuses when the business plan has fallen through, what TC started doing was that the higher ups began receiving huge bonuses that began to eat into profits they tried to offset this by using the earnings of holidays from following years. The problem is things began to get inconsistent year by year as far as holiday makers go with newer companies bringing fierce competition as well as other factors so as the years went on the lower profits in a following year weren't making up for the prior year all the while the higher ups were still taking these banker like bonuses until as seen it all reached a dead end.

Bailing them out would have just had TC continue doing the same leading to the problem resurfacing again as their business plan was out of date and needed rethinking, ironically what has given a light at the end of the tunnel here is a EU ruling that will see people refunded or returned home but it's still a massive task had Brexit already happened especially with no deal the situation would be far more chaotic and would cost even more to bail them out.

The interesting part is that Spain, Germany and Turkey were willing to bail the regional parts (like Condor in Germany) out, which would have left the UK only with a fraction of the costs and risks, but Johnson was against bailing TC out.

Around the Network

Ka-pi96 said:
Biggerboat1 said:
I think 99% of politicians would resign under these circumstances. Unfortunately we seem to have gone the same route as the US and have the most shameless man in politics in our highest position...

I have no idea what he'll do but I'd be surprised if he does the decent thing...

eh, the opposition isn't much better...

Incompetent fools everywhere you look these days.

We can argue incompetence (I'm not a fan of JC), but neither he, nor any of the other leaders would have sunk to the level of a sham proroguing, that literally nobody believed was necessitated to lay out a new domestic agenda.

BJ has zero integrity and is merely a mercenary fuelled by ambition. Evidence has shown he didn't really have a view one way or another on Brexit until it became personally advantageous to pick a side. He's an unabashed populist - the worst type of politician in my view.

Whatever you say about the other leaders (Farage included), they at least have actual opinions that seemed to have originated from actual views as opposed to opinion polls & projections.

Sturgeon is head and shoulders above the rest imo - and I think it would be difficult to argue she's incompetent... I've never voted SNP, but may well do if Brexit does indeed go ahead - though I'm already exhausted at the thought of another ref :(

Bandorr said:
Trying to follow the Thomas Cook thing.

The country will have to pay over 600 million to get people back to where they came from.

Where did you get that value from?

The Monarch repatriation fiasco cost the British taxpayer around 40M pounds. The TC repatriation fiasco is estimated to cost around the same, or a little more. So how did you get to 600M?

As for not stuffing 200M into the company. Their last 1/2 report shows a 1.5B loss. This shows that TC is not repairable and a cold brutal "let it go" is the only viable solution, not throwing good money after bad money.

This was supposed to be one of the worst days in history for a PM and he just smashed the opposition.

Geoffrey Cox and Dom Cummings were supposed to be getting the chop before the day finished and yet both are on top of the world. The media and political commentators have no idea what world they're in.

This disgraceful, cowardly parliament isn't fit to sit. They have no honour.

They can try all the tricks they want. These Turkeys can't stop time and unfortunately for them, Christmas is Coming.

Once Boris wins the election, all the remainer bullshit will be repealed and Tony Blair's silly little court will be smashed so we can go back to real English Law instead of the meme judges and their brooches.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Boris will put forward a motion of no confidence in himself on the day he has to ask for an extension.

We'll leave with or without a deal because there will be no PM to ask for an extension.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
This was supposed to be one of the worst days in history for a PM and he just smashed the opposition.

Geoffrey Cox and Dom Cummings were supposed to be getting the chop before the day finished and yet both are on top of the world. The media and political commentators have no idea what world they're in.

This disgraceful, cowardly parliament isn't fit to sit. They have no honour.

They can try all the tricks they want. These Turkeys can't stop time and unfortunately for them, Christmas is Coming.

Once Boris wins the election, all the remainer bullshit will be repealed and Tony Blair's silly little court will be smashed so we can go back to real English Law instead of the meme judges and their brooches.

Now that's a big "if". And an even bigger if is to get any kind of majority with about 30% of the votes and some additional 10-15% from the Brexit party and DUP. The Tories rose to high 30's after Johnson got elected but are coming crashing down since he humiliated himself in Luxembourg, his failed Prorogation, not being able to win any votes in Parliament...

I do agree that the UK will leave without a Deal - but that's all due to being totally headless right now and no direction has a majority. Not No Deal (Tories and Brexit Party, maybe DUP), not Corbyn and his own version of a deal, not remain (LibDems, SNP, Sinn Fein, Green, Plaid Cymru). And a new election will just make it worse and solve nothing, as both the big parties loose a lot while the smaller ones win quite a bit, making the balance of powers even more even than they were before. So, still headless, still unable to do anything, let alone bring the country forward. It just brings the UK out of the EU since nobody is there to make a deal or get it through parliament since it's so fractured on the theme of Brexit.

Pyro as Bill said:
Boris will put forward a motion of no confidence in himself on the day he has to ask for an extension.

We'll leave with or without a deal because there will be no PM to ask for an extension.

Hahahahah... hes shameless enough to pull a stunt like that.

phinch1 said:
JRPGfan said:
UK trade with other nations =

EU makes up 60% of import trade, 55%+ export trade for the UK (indirect ties, and its higher than 55%).
US makes up 8% of import trade, 13% of export trade for the UK.

The EU is a huge part of trade for the UK.
I dont get why you would want to leave without a deal in place, this can cause huge impacts on the economy.

I would like a good deal, but theresa mays deal splits up the United Kingdom and leaves the UK Tied into the EU With not being able to trade with anyone else, this is not leaving the EU, It's a leader who wants to remain desperate attempt at leaving in name only 

Without a deal in place, there will be a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
So thats happending either way now.

Also being part of the EU tradeing block, doesnt mean you cant trade with others either.

Anyways... Apparently talks broke down, and non have been scheduled since.

"Brexit talks have come to an abrupt halt in Brussels days after the British government demanded intensive negotiations on Boris Johnson’s proposals. Sources on both sides confirmed that no meetings between the negotiating teams were scheduled. There are 22 days to go before the UK is due to leave the EU." - The Guardian

I'm actually hopeing the UK doesnt beg for another extention, and the EU doesnt just give after.... 3 years of this, has to be the end of it.
UK wont accept reality, and keeps chaseing unicorns... its long over due for a hard brexit.

JRPGfan said:

I'm actually hopeing the UK doesnt beg for another extention, and the EU doesnt just give after.... 3 years of this, has to be the end of it.
UK wont accept reality, and keeps chaseing unicorns... its long over due for a hard brexit.

I'm of two minds about this, on the one hand a no deal brexit would serve as an example how irresponsible and damaging notions of leaving the EU are and have a big influence on far right parties all over europe (while UK remaining after all might strengthen the "EU is a prison" narative). The EU might also have an easier time advancing and improving without the UK blocking that at every turn. And ofcourse there are dozens of ppl that deserve the hard brexit they desire, some of them participants of this thread (probably much less than 17~m though) - also I'll admit I'm someone who "likes to watch the world burn" (preferably from afar).

On the other hand there are tons of good/respectable/adorable ppl who don't deserve the utter tragedy that is a hard brexit. Quite a few ppl will die as a direct result of it. And ofcourse Scotland and both parts of Ireland will suffer a lot from this farce while voting against it or not having a say in it, a ridiculous injustice. The instable worldwide economic situation might also mean brexit being the starting point for the next worldwide financial crisis and who knows what consequences we'll all have to face in that case.

I guess the "optimal outcome" from my perspective would be the UK "taking the Norway option", which has a likelihood of happening of pretty much 0 .