By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unlocking Characters In Smash Is Like Repeatedly Getting Kicked In The Grapes

I don't get the fuzz about unlocking in SSBU...

Sure it can be challenging at times but it's not "hard". This comes from a player that in general sucks at smash.

This is way better than most games modern games that are way to easy.

To OP and everyone making threads like this on internet: You should stay away from NES games in their original form (without save states).

In other words: GIT GUD!

Around the Network

Certainly not easy.

I had Ike beat me in 2 hits, he charged at me, slash, slash, knocked me out the arena. Game lasted 5 seconds.
Lucina was literally reading every move and bubbling all attacks.

The rematch vs Ike was completely brain dead, he literally just stood there and took it.
Then Rob was the same, just jumped around doing nothing.

The difficulty is all over the place, some act like lvl 9 pros and others lvl 1.

Surprised people are having this much trouble lol.

Ultrashroomz said:

Well, you have people saying "eazy, git gud" and pro players saying that it's hard even for them. 

So some people are lying, or the difficulty and AI are completely random.

But since the online is a hot mess, I would love to know more about the single player difficulty before buying the game... 

Around the Network

If it's really as hard as I've been hearing, then Nintendo ought to patch in some difficulty modes.

Faelco said:
Ultrashroomz said:

Well, you have people saying "eazy, git gud" and pro players saying that it's hard even for them. 

So some people are lying, or the difficulty and AI are completely random.

But since the online is a hot mess, I would love to know more about the single player difficulty before buying the game... 

Single player is pretty hard if you set it to... hard.

As for CPUs in general, they're pretty inconsistent. Sometimes they're punching bags and sometimes they're crazy machines of death and destruction, but they're never mindless frame-perfect reaction computers (which they always were in previous Smash games). Beating them takes some getting used to, but it's not like in previous games where you had to completely change your playstyle when fighting a CPU (and would win pretty much everytime once you did) - the CPUs here are more human-like than ever, including all the inconsistency and stuff. It's actually kinda cool, even when you get used to fighting them it still doesn't feel that far from fighting an actual person.

Also, online is getting a little too much hate imo. It's nowhere near being good but Quickplay is a slight improvement over the For Fun/For Glory modes in Smash 4. Battle Arenas though, that's a huge improvement compared to what was there before. They could still be better, but if you want a decent online experience, that's where it's at.

Proxy-Pie said:
If it's really as hard as I've been hearing, then Nintendo ought to patch in some difficulty modes.

There are difficulty modes. You can play Adventure Mode in easy, normal or hard, and play against 9 different levels of CPUs. Since you can unlock everyone through World of Light even in easy mode, the regular "challenging approaching" method is just a faster way to do it for those who can beat the CPUs - which, honestly, are mostly pretty easy. There are some specific characters that can be troublesome, and I feel this inconsistency is there on purpose so that the average player can at least unlock most characters rather quickly. There's actually nothing wrong with it, really.

Cloud and Little Mac were a challenge to beat, the next fell rather easily.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I laughed at a video where someone got his ass kicked by Jigglypuff.

I also got my ass kicked by him.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.