By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you expect first "PRICE CUT" for Switch?

John2290 said:
They really should have done it this holiday, even a small cut would have done wonders and perhaps got them closer to the million mark on BF. I'll way it again though and I'll keep saying it, the system needs externals saves and Nintendo need to advertise the living shit out of that feature after adding it. That, 2017 levels of store curation before it snowballs out of control, no delays on the 2019 line up and a price cut among a few other things and they might beat the million mark next BF week.

Small cut or no cut they'll meet their goals :kappa: 

Around the Network
John2290 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Small cut or no cut they'll meet their goals :kappa: 

If their goals aren't to get as many units out the door for the Holiday family gatherings then they are doing it wrong. 

I don't disagree that a price cut would be nice, but I believe it to be a bit misguided to have this line of thinking, especially because it applies to all console manufacturers ... 

John2290 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I don't disagree that a price cut would be nice, but I believe it to be a bit misguided to have this line of thinking, especially because it applies to all console manufacturers ... 

It does not though, it's the safest thing to do for Nintendo and after the wiiU they can't afford to bank on a run away train do soon and make assumptions that it will keep selling, they have let their guard down in so many other places and this, in my opinion, is one area they should be extra vigilant, getting that hardware into hyped hands for the holidays ensures more hype through the year and more hungry mouths next year, more software sales, more money, just more in general. That extra 20 or 30 quid per console they are getting can't possibly be worth the weight of having more consumers buying software, Network subscriptions, feeding hype and so on. Short term thinking and it is not yet the time to try and retain the premium brand image, not so soon after the thing thqt shall not be named because it does not and has not ever existed. 

That's literally the exact same thing Playstation did. Which is why PS4 didn't get a good price cut for a while. They had to make what profit they could out of $400. They even said they were surprised by how well it was selling (probably because it didn't require a lot of studio investment early on to sell consoles). And even now it's not getting another good price cut. 

I can't help but find the irony in saying Nintendo has short term thinking while you're acting like a price cut will make or break the Switch. Let me give you a hint: It won't. It's still selling amazing this holiday. That's not going to change. And I have to wonder if the amount Nintendo would gain from the price cut would really off set the price cut. I mean, they're probably going to ship 8 million this quarter. How much more would they ship with that price cut? Probably not enough to offset it. Nintendo isn't stupid, they do what makes them the most money. And right now with both Pokemon and Smash, it's not looking like Nintendo is in need of  a good public image due to a price cut. They already have the image required to make someone plop down $300.