By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shooters and RPG's are amongst the most popular genres of games on consoles

Played_Out, you make some good points but there is somethingto what Montana said. I don't thing RPGs are the most popular. However, Pokemon and WOW are 2 of the biggest franchises around and their are other popular RPGs (4 of the top 15 PSP games are RPGs). Let's not forget the Mario Paper games and Mass Effect as recent western RPG hits. RPGs are the most popular DS and PSP games and the most popular games in Japan. They are easily in the top 5 worldwide.

By Simulation, he could have also been talking about the Simcity games, flight simulator games, railroad simulator games, and all of the animal simulation games (Nintendogs, Catz, Horsez, Petz 2). I wouldn't consider Training games to be Simulation, but if someone did, I could see how they put Simulation in the top 3.

Nintendo has other platformers besides Mario. Both Luigi and Wario had GC platformers. We also have the main R&C, Crash, and massive amount of VC, DS, and all around shovelware. Even games like Assassins Creed DS are platformers.

As a dark horse, I'd select puzzle because of the hundreds of millions of people that play the occasional mindsweep, flash, or popcaps game on their PC or Tetris on their cell phone.

I think Sports are the most popular (if you include games like Wii Sports) followed by Shooters and Racing. RPGs and puzzles round out the top 5.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network

I think some people are getting off the track here. The original post was about consoles not PC. If we were talking about PC then yes RPG would be up there. Since it is consoles then shooters are up there. I can see what people are saying with simulation because of Nintendogs, but that is only one franchise. The Sims never sold very well on a console. If you want to make the argument that Pokemon is an RPG then yes I believe that RPG's are very popular.

I really don't want to say the same thing that Sulla said because I agree with what he was saying about Sports, Racing and now more than every Music. Overall I think that Shooters and Sports games are the most popular.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Worldwide or just USA?
Nothing can beat shooters in the states.

In Japan RPG > everything else.

For Europe is one of the top genre.