By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shooters and RPG's are amongst the most popular genres of games on consoles

I made this statement so do people agree or disagree with this? Well those two genres tend to sell a lot of software and plenty of people play these games online including Call of Duty 4, Counter Strike, Half-Life, Halo 3, World of WarCraft, etc.

Sure we have Racing games like: Gran Turismo, Platform games with many, many adventures of Mario, Action games like GTA series, etc.

Edit: Sorry about the vague thread title. Well you can also discuss PC as well as console. Both play games.

Around the Network

I'd prefer RPGs rather than shooters. It's all about how long I can play it and still enjoy it.

"Amongst?"

You need to be a bit more specific than that.

Frankly, the 2 most popular genres are RPGs and Platformers, followed closely by Simulation. 

^Sorry I did not want to create a flaming thread by just stating those two genres are the most popular on consoles. That would be like trying to force an opinion upon people.

RPG's all the way, therefore I can't stand it why its taking so long before we get to see more RPG's on the PS3, while shooters are presented like cup-cakes

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

RPG's for me. I love GT5 and the Tekken series but my library is mostly RPG's. When i buy games i want 40+ hours of fun from them.......Shooters don't give me that unless i play online which for me gets old quick on a console........on PC though shooters all the way.

Mil. Sellers:

Wii:      25 titles       101.4 mil total    avg 4 mil per title

PS3:     14 titles      28.6 mil total    avg ~2 mil per title

360:     41 titles      89.8 mil total   avg  >2 mil per title

Are you kidding?! Shooters are indeed very popular, but RPGs aren't even close to being amongst the most popular genres. RPGs have always been fairly niche, aside from a handful that break into the mainstream (e.g. Final Fantasy). The highest-selling RPG this generation is Oblivion at 2.43m, which isn't much. People THINK that RPGs are popular because Internet message boards are overflowing with the niche audience that loves them. They are actually a much smaller portion of the market than most think.

So instead of RPGs, you should be mentioning what actually draws in huge audiences: sports, racing, and (now) music games. Even in a down year, Madden sold about 6m copies, and FIFA saw 5m sales. Forza reached 3.7m copies, and even the Prologue for Gran Turismo looks like it will breeze past 2m sales. Guitar Hero 3 has sold over EIGHT MILLION copies across all platforms, and still sits in the top 20 every week. All of these genres are wildly more popular than RPGs - they just don't have nearly as much of a presence among the Internet fanboy community. As such, they're always underestimated in terms of sales. (Look at how much discussion a relatively minor title like Devil May Cry generates, compared to 5m sellers like Madden or Guitar Hero...)

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Shooters for me are games like: Raiden, Don pachi, Ikaruga, Gradius, R-Type, 1945 ... etc , the ones you mention as shooters are First Person shooters,
at least for me :P

but as you said .... those two genres might be the most popular ones... 

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

MontanaHatchet said:

"Amongst?"

You need to be a bit more specific than that.

Frankly, the 2 most popular genres are RPGs and Platformers, followed closely by Simulation.

That statement is wildly inaccurate. I assume by 'simulation' you are referring to games like The Sims, in which case I would I have some difficulty in naming a single one that has been popular outside of the aforementioned franchise.

Platformers peaked in popularity during the early '80s and have been in decline ever since. They have certainly not been the most popular in the last 2 generations. Aside from the Mario cash-cow, there aren't really any platform games that have been a big success over the last 10 years; certainly nothing at the level of Half Life, Halo, CoD or Gears of War, despite the fact that there is considerably less competition in the platform genre.

+ what Sullla said.

@ Played out

Nintendogs is a pretty good selling simulation. It's actually in the top 10 best selling games ever.

New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Galaxy are both platformers and among the best-sellingin the generation. Although, I agree that shooters are now bigger than Platformers.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS