By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can PS NOW become a billion dollar annual service?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/superdata-playstation-now-pulled-in-more-than-ea-access-and-xbox-game-pass-combined-last-quarter.79988/

I was reading a thread on era about PS NOW revenue last quarter and how it brought in almost $150m. Multiply that by 4 and you have $600m. Considering PS NOW is yet to appear in a lot of countries and there are so many PS4 games they can potentially add could this become a billion dollar revenue stream?

I feel like it's in beta mode this gen and Sony will push it hard when ps5 launches. With a huge marketing campaign. It could honestly become the Netflix of gaming and I'd say Sony will never let EA access anywhere near their platform. 

Around the Network

Of course it could... if they expanded the library, particularly games that you can download.

It'll take quite a few years yet for streaming games to take off.

This seems like the sort of service which will make good money in the short term and kill them off in the long term.

Who are they competing with in a service like this? Gamestop. But Gamestop is, in theory, their business partner. All of those Gamestop stores out there provide so much free and effective marketing for Sony products. And yet PS NOW threatens to kill off Gamestop. Not smart business.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
This seems like the sort of service which will make good money in the short term and kill them off in the long term.

Who are they competing with in a service like this? Gamestop. But Gamestop is, in theory, their business partner. All of those Gamestop stores out there provide so much free and effective marketing for Sony products. And yet PS NOW threatens to kill off Gamestop. Not smart business.

Surely digital games are more of a threat to GameStop than psnow? With the digital ratio climbing continually these past years.

Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Surely digital games are more of a threat to GameStop than psnow? With the digital ratio climbing continually these past years.

Yes, those are a big threat too.  To me it's all competing with GameStop and therefore a bad idea.

I mean, I am sure it is making them good money now.  But one day GameStop will be very small or totally out of business.  And then Sony is going to be asking where their customers went.  (All of this applies to Microsoft too.)

Around the Network

Superdata always spews out bullshit.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

PS NOW doesn't seem to be a priority for Sony, or maybe they are having serious issues with the service. I don't know if they can make it something worthwhile right now

I think it could hit 2 billion, as could GamePass. Of course, they have to continue to make the services more appealing. If they do that, and as people get used to the idea of not owning their games, I see those numbers as no problem.

Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Digitial in general, both purchase and rental, and killing GameStop.  

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Barkley said:

Yes, those are a big threat too.  To me it's all competing with GameStop and therefore a bad idea.

I mean, I am sure it is making them good money now.  But one day GameStop will be very small or totally out of business.  And then Sony is going to be asking where their customers went.  (All of this applies to Microsoft too.)

Blockbuster was killed by digital distribution of movies.  Almost all record stores were killed by digital distribution of music.  Those industry all adapted, and the major players in  movie and music production and distribution are still the major players.

flashfire926 said:
Superdata always spews out bullshit.

I doubt that Nielsen Company, the biggest market research firm in the world, would buy SuperData if they "always spew out bullshit".

PlayStation Now being bigger than Xbox Game Pass isn't that surprising considering that PS Now is available on PC and twice as many consoles as Game Pass. Additionally, this is based on revenue and PS Now cost more than Game Pass because it includes more games. PS Now has over 650 games and costs $20/€15 a month while Game Pass has over 200 games and costs $10/€10 a month.

I'm more impressed with EA having a 33% market share across EA Access, Origin Access, and Origin Access Premier.

Last edited by Replicant - on 29 January 2019