By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD Prediction: Will Smash Ultimate become the fastest selling Nintendo Title?

Will Smash Ultimate surpass Brawl's first month sales?

Yes 23 69.70%

No 10 30.30%

It won't be close 0 0%

Total:33

Simple question, can Smash Ultimate become the fastest selling Nintendo Title on the NPD? Based off of what I found, in a period of one month, the record is 2.7 million with Super Smash Bros Brawl. Does Ultimate have the hype to surpass this astonishing record?  

Last edited by MasonADC - on 04 November 2018

Around the Network

I voted no. Also, according to VGC, Pokemon X+Y sold 4.2m in one month. I don't think Smash can beat that.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I voted no. Also, according to VGC, Pokemon X+Y sold 4.2m in one month. I don't think Smash can beat that.

This was meant to be only for the NPD first month, not worldwide first week 

Last edited by MasonADC - on 04 November 2018

Mario Odyssey sold 2.1M on it's launch with the Switch still having half of the units as of now,I can't see why Smash Ultimate wouldn't easily beat that, so I will say yes.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

I thought Pokemon Sun and Moon was the fastes selling Nintendo title on NPD, and then Mario Odyssey beat it?

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I thought Pokemon Sun and Moon was the fastes selling Nintendo title on NPD, and then Mario Odyssey beat it?

Sun/Moon had the most pre-orders globally but I'm pretty sure Smash still has the debut NPD record for Nintendo.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

MasonADC said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

My fault too.  I didn't realize that Brawl sold 2.7m NPD in just one month.  That is pretty impressive! 

Although the first four weeks on VGC come to like 2.3m.  If you are counting 5 weeks, then I think it was outsold by New Super Mario Wii.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Odyssey came out near the end of the NPD, so it didn't break the fastest selling record. However it is the fastest selling Super Mario Title 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
MasonADC said:

My fault too.  I didn't realize that Brawl sold 2.7m NPD in just one month.  That is pretty impressive! 

Although the first four weeks on VGC come to like 2.3m.  If you are counting 5 weeks, then I think it was outsold by New Super Mario Wii.

That's a weird case, as it actually sold more in its second month compared to its first (1.3 million compared to 2.8 million). 

MasonADC said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That's a weird case, as it actually sold more in its second month compared to its first (1.3 million compared to 2.8 million). 

Ok, I see what you mean now.  Brawl sold a ton, US only, in it's first month.  New Super Mario Wii sold more, but over a different time frame.  

"Within 45 days, the game had sold 4.2 million copies in the US, surpassing Super Mario Galaxy's 4.1 million sales.  By the beginning of 2010, New Super Mario Bros. Wii had sold nearly 10.5 million units, making it the fastest selling single-system game in history, with 4.5 million units sold in the U.S., 3 million in Japan, and nearly 3 million in Europe."

"
According to the NPD Group, [Brawl] was the best-selling game of March 2008 in Canada and the United States, selling 200,000 and 2.7 million units, respectively..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Super_Mario_Bros._Wii
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl