By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 6 October 2018

DonFerrari said:
PS4 got another healthy leading week, Switch already have 2M difference to close on Holidays (it probably will) to finish the year ahead.

How? You do realize that for the switch to pull that off it needs to sell at least 1M more consoles than the PS4 in november and december right?

What? Sony will stop selling PS4s for those months? 

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I'd beg to differ on that. If Nintendo plays their cards right, then Switch will be the next "real" competitor to the Wii. 

Then again, the Wii also could have surpassed PS1 had Nintendo played their cards right there, too. Sooo .... it may be a long shot  

So many different factors to consider but my gut tells me that the limit may be 65 million.  I know that seems ridiculous to some but I think Nintendo will throw us a curveball.   

I believe the rumors that Nintendo is in fact making an upgraded unit AND I believe that Sony is working on one too from the public design specs. 

I believe that Nintendo is deadset on making an new version that will not be forwards compatible with the Switch.  This is how they compete.  No more articles about games like RDR2 not coming to Switch.  The new version will be as powerful as the base PS4.

All of this, plus Nintendo's frontloaded history leads me to believe that it wont reach the heights of  Wii.

The only issue with that is that it won't matter. They make a switch 2 as powerful as the PS4 (just like the current switch is arguably on par with the PS3/360) then its the same shit all over aain cause it will come at a time when everyone is on the PS5/XB2. And their games will still not be able to run on the switch 2.

Nintendo shouldn,t even try or bother competing with the HD twins.... they should focus on carving out a niche for themselves. Be the second console everyone gets. If they play that card right then they could sell better than either the PS5/XB2.   

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:
PS4 got another healthy leading week, Switch already have 2M difference to close on Holidays (it probably will) to finish the year ahead.

How? You do realize that for the switch to pull that off it needs to sell at least 1M more consoles than the PS4 in november and december right?

Switch may have a much more sizable increase in Holidays than PS4, so it is doable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

Pretty sure I went over this with you a week or two ago. Based on this sites numbers, PS4 is trending downward YoY this year while NSW YoY gains have remained pretty stable.

PS4

End of Q1-down 4%

End of Q2-down 11%

End of Q3-down 16%

NSW

End of Q1-up 24%

End of Q2-up 23%

End of Q3-up 22%

Based on this trend than it looks like PS4 will end the year down 20+% and NSW up 20+% which would put both right around ~16 million.

I'm not saying this is a sure thing to happen or that PS4 cant win but it's not so ridiculous to think NSW could edge it out this year. Regardless it should be pretty close.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:

Nintendo shouldn,t even try or bother competing with the HD twins.... they should focus on carving out a niche for themselves. 

Ummmmm, this is what they've been doing since Wii/DS. It's gamers who expect them to compete with PS/XB, not Nintendo. 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
CGI-Quality said:

Adjustments

PlatformN. AmericaEuropeJapanGlobal
91,946 124,980 13,902 286,691
67,634 60,777 45,703 201,818
40,435 35,294 956 87,236
18,619 19,256 7,190 48,982
23 152 2,654 2,926

New PS4 sales at 84,049,324 units. That would put a little over 2 million PS4 consoles on store shelves and in transit heading into the holidays. 

Wont be long until it catches the PS3 (~87m) & XB360 (~86m).

PS4 is beast.