By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Switch still not getting big games from 3rd parties? October edition

What's a "big game"?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
What's a "big game"?

How about Grand Theft Auto V? It's the biggest anything ever. Still creeping on the top 10 physical. ha.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I'm sure it'd be good to have COD, Madden, GTA & Red Dead but I think they should continue to focus on games that are primarily played on PC. Then release switch in China where PC gaming is very big. They just need titles like CS:GO, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2, League Of Legends, Hearthstone, RTS games and certain multiplats like Overwatch & PUBG. Otherwise Switch is doing great.

I thought I'd update this with the yearly AAA franchises missing from Switch, Madden, A Tom Clancy Game, Assasins Creed (except next year), UFC, COD, Battlefield/front, WWE (skipped this year), Formula 1, Farming Simulator (only one released so far), PES, Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball.

Not yearly releases but a few big/important ones nonetheless; Red Dead 2, Soulcalibur, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry, Tekken 7, Shadow Of War, Injustice 2.0

Last edited by Soren0079 - on 17 October 2018

Even if the third party situation is way better on Switch, it's still not going to be able to get every third party game, including some of the big ones. It's a mobile device the size of a puff-pastry, how exactly can you cram PS4 specs into it? Just be happy with what you have now because it's more than enough to satisfy people at the moment.

Drakrami said:
Have you seen how heavily downgraded diablo 3 needs to make it work on Switch? May be you have your answer..?

Heavily downgraded, I didnt saw that, pls link? Diablo 3 on Switch hould work at 960p/60fps in docked mode and at 720p/60fps in portable mode, 960p compared to 1080p is not huge difference, but actualy its quite difference compared to 584p resolution on PS3/360.

Around the Network
melbye said:
It got Starlink, and i've been enjoying that very much today

Starlink is very interesting because it “should” be the first time that a new third-party game on Switch outsells the other platforms. I don't see any enthusiasm at all for this game on PS4 or XBox One, but the Starfox makeover has created at least some interest on Switch. I think if its sales are “okay” overall people in the industry will take account of the success on Switch but I think if the game stiffs (as I personally suspect that it will) then it will be another considerable setback to large companies treating Switch as a viable third platform for AAA.

To justify the development costs the publisher has to expect that there's a big marketplace to reach on Switch that can only be reached there, and it's not obvious who that would be: people who only own a Switch aren't both wealthy and serious about games enough to buy many AAA games; people who also own a PC or home console can play AAA games already. Speaking personally, there's no game that I didn't buy on PS4 this year that I would definitely have bought on Switch had it come there.

PotentHerbs said:
Switch can't handle it.

Tell that to DS which have 5 Cod games

Conina said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

What handheld use x86 chip?

HoangNhatAnh said:

So there is none at the moment, got it. All things that you said are very correct and logical for ... your theory only. 

GPD Win 1 and GPD Win 2 are x86 handhelds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_Win

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_Win_2

And how much it cost? Because majority people won't spend over $300 for a handheld.

potato_hamster said:
RolStoppable said:

You sound pretty aggravated. You talk about me narrowing the goalposts in a thread about Western AAA third party games when I am the one who broadens the topic to all third party games. You talk about me narrowing goalposts and proceed to name Japanese AAA games when I talk about how Switch has the fastest growing library in history which can't mean anything other than Nintendo is doing things right. You are the one who tries to keep the focus on the few things Switch doesn't have. That can be easily flipped around: Octopath Traveler is exclusive to Switch, so is Yokai Watch 4 and Shin Megami Tensei 5. Why aren't those games coming to the PS4?

I remember when before the Switch's launch we had a discussion where I said that it's laughable that Nintendo would go third party anytime soon and you jumped at my throat, claiming that Nintendo following Sega is not such a farfetched idea. When I pointed out that Nintendo's IPs are much more valuable than Sega's, you called it wishful thinking. It's difficult to have a reasonable discussion with you and nothing about that has changed.

You broadened the topic to All third party games? Then why did you give me shit about bringing up EA or Activision earlier? Ohh right, because you tried to narrow the scope of the conversation to Japanese devs to paint a better picture of the Switch's third party situation. The thread is about "big games from third parties". I just listed the biggest games from Japanese third parties that skipped or will skip the Switch. I can start listing ones from North American or European third parties if you like, but I mean, it diesn't get better.

And about that "fastest growing library in history".. does that change when we talk about games with a $60 price point? (That's a rhetorical question, we already know the answer) Just pretend it's one of those "quality over quantity" arguments you like to make when talking about great which platforms have the best games. Why aren't those games coming to the PS4? For a variety of reasons, but one reason you can definitely rule out is "the PS4 can't handle a standard Switch game, and it's just not worth the time and effort to have to rework such a significant part of the game, especially when games like this have traditionally sold overwhelmingly in the past. It's hard to justify the investment".

I love how you sugar coat arguments we had years ago. Come on, Rol, we all know you referenced your notes. We don't need your interpretation, just post the links you have readily available! I know, why don't you just go on baselessly asserting that I hate Nintendo once again, or questioning whether or not I could have possibly played Breath of the Wild because I don't think its the greatest game ever. I know you're just dying to.

You are correct, it is a mediocre game, only league ahead some games like Gravity Rush and Horizon

User was banned for this post ~ Angelus 

Last edited by Angelus - on 18 October 2018

potato_hamster said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I was actually talking about the OG Xbox port ... I think it was of San Andreas. It would take a long time to find the source, I'll look. I could very well be wrong though. Never know how much is just shitty rumors to make a company look bad  

And yeah, I agree that PS3 had a lot of effort put into it to help it catch up. I should have specified about the first couple of years. About Playstation not necessarily being a bigger brand than Nintendo ... whilst I agree, we are talking about home consoles here. 

It could be totally true. If so, shame on Sony for a terrible practice and I'm glad they turned that ship around pronto.

As for home consoles, I don't think the Playstation brand is why Sony sold around three times as many Playstations as Nintendo sold N64s. Sony had to put in a monstrous effort right out of the gates to steer prospective buyers away from a Nintendo console. I remember at the time it was extremely common for parents to refer to all video game consoles, no matter tha manufacturer as "Nintendos". Not exactly a small feat.

But vita to 3DS is exactly a small feat