By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 sales figures?

Well, if it's sold to retailers, then thats worse...especially with all the reports of them trying to flood the market using Vista as bait.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
reverie said:
davygee, 12 million was their financial forecast for "sold to retail", not "sold to consumers" (as is proper for a financial statement), though Microsoft representatives tried to obfuscate the difference and use phrases like "in consumers' hands" when they are citing their forecast. MS sold 10.4 million units by December and 10.9 million by March. To reach 12 million they would have to sell 1.1 million units this quarter. That could work. eques judicii, If we assume that: - Microsoft is on track with their forecast and have sold 11.5 million units to retail - vgchartz is right about their estimate and 9.7 million units were sold to consumers That would mean that: - 1.8 million units are still on retail shelves. I think that would be healthy stock and very reasonable, so ioi's estimate does not sound too low at all.

true true... sorry i got a little upset because mostly everyone on this site seems to hate microsoft... I think if they have 2 million units on shelf then they need to do a price drop.  This would certainly clear out the inventory.  I still think that microsoft has probably exceeded 10 million but at these numbers the error in estimation is quite large (an error of 3 percent is about 300k consoles and based on the differences between ioi and NPD the error could reach 15% which would be 1.5 million consoles... although i doubt the error is that high... most likely around 2-5% which could put the 360 anywhere from 9.3 to 10.2 million...)

Considering how statistical this site is becoming I propose that ioi puts error bars on his estimations... it would give the data more credibility (there is no way of estimating precisely to the ones place like he does)  Scientific studies always explain their error (any legitimate survey must provide error rates) otherwise they face considerable scrutiny and criticism from colleagues.... why shouldn't this site be held to the same standard?

koffieboon said:
eques judicii said:
wow... you need to adjust your facts... they had said 13-15 million by june... adjusting to 12 million was only a 1 million drop... the elite is constantly selling out (the availability on itrackr has been less than the wii).... This site always downgrades the 360 sales... if you trust it and have followed what they have posted on the front of the site you will see that the 360 has always taken 2 steps forward and then been nerfed its reached 9.7 million on several occasions and then dropped back to 9.6 or even 9.4... finally it seems like ioi is going to let it stay at 9.7 the wii on the other hand has consistently exceeded nintendo's own shipment figures on this site... I'm baffled by the estimates on this website and why it seems to try and keep the 360 from hitting 10 million... when I think it really has (even NPD has had the 360 sell almost 400k in 2 months in the US but the WW figures on this site has only gone up 200k) the 12 million they projected was shipped... and with the sales/shipments of the elite they should easily make that.

Please tell me when NPD had XBox 360 was selling around 400k units in 2007? Cause it didn't, it didn't even get close. If I recall correctly the numbers were something like 290k for January (5 week month), 240k for February, 200k in March (another 5 week month) and around 175k in April. Since it is hardly selling in Japan (around 100k for the whole of 2007 so far?) the adjustments ioi had to make for the other region more or less offset much of the consoles sold in the US so far this year. But don't worry to much, I think most adjustments there have been made by now, so another month of sales should be enough to get it to the 10M mark. 

you bolded my quote and didn't even read it... 400k in 2 months... or 200k each month... my god..

eques judicii said:
reverie said:
davygee, 12 million was their financial forecast for "sold to retail", not "sold to consumers" (as is proper for a financial statement), though Microsoft representatives tried to obfuscate the difference and use phrases like "in consumers' hands" when they are citing their forecast. MS sold 10.4 million units by December and 10.9 million by March. To reach 12 million they would have to sell 1.1 million units this quarter. That could work. eques judicii, If we assume that: - Microsoft is on track with their forecast and have sold 11.5 million units to retail - vgchartz is right about their estimate and 9.7 million units were sold to consumers That would mean that: - 1.8 million units are still on retail shelves. I think that would be healthy stock and very reasonable, so ioi's estimate does not sound too low at all.

true true... sorry i got a little upset because mostly everyone on this site seems to hate microsoft... I think if they have 2 million units on shelf then they need to do a price drop. This would certainly clear out the inventory. I still think that microsoft has probably exceeded 10 million but at these numbers the error in estimation is quite large (an error of 3 percent is about 300k consoles and based on the differences between ioi and NPD the error could reach 15% which would be 1.5 million consoles... although i doubt the error is that high... most likely around 2-5% which could put the 360 anywhere from 9.3 to 10.2 million...)

Considering how statistical this site is becoming I propose that ioi puts error bars on his estimations... it would give the data more credibility (there is no way of estimating precisely to the ones place like he does) Scientific studies always explain their error (any legitimate survey must provide error rates) otherwise they face considerable scrutiny and criticism from colleagues.... why shouldn't this site be held to the same standard?

very, VERY simple to answer, scroll up, there is a beta logo, that means pretty much the same eh =)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Neos said:
eques judicii said:
reverie said:

true true... sorry i got a little upset because mostly everyone on this site seems to hate microsoft... I think if they have 2 million units on shelf then they need to do a price drop. This would certainly clear out the inventory. I still think that microsoft has probably exceeded 10 million but at these numbers the error in estimation is quite large (an error of 3 percent is about 300k consoles and based on the differences between ioi and NPD the error could reach 15% which would be 1.5 million consoles... although i doubt the error is that high... most likely around 2-5% which could put the 360 anywhere from 9.3 to 10.2 million...)

Considering how statistical this site is becoming I propose that ioi puts error bars on his estimations... it would give the data more credibility (there is no way of estimating precisely to the ones place like he does) Scientific studies always explain their error (any legitimate survey must provide error rates) otherwise they face considerable scrutiny and criticism from colleagues.... why shouldn't this site be held to the same standard?

very, VERY simple to answer, scroll up, there is a beta logo, that means pretty much the same eh =)

so... because its a beta you don't hold it to the same standard?

edit: if you ask me a beta should be held to a higher standard because it should be updated, tweaked, fixed and perfectly... much harder to do that to a final product eh?

Around the Network

yes, when something is a beta, common knowledge would tell you that not everything is perfect. Although imo it is still stupid to think that the site is biased, the 360 just doesn't sell that well, and you gotta live with it untill someone proofs the opposite

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

It's the european numbers.. NA and Japan numbers have NPD and Media Create or whatever Japanese company. It's true that the 360 numbers keep getting "nerfed" but that's cause of Europe. Maybe now with VGchartz new european sources we can have more accurate numbers. Also Microsoft announced that they stopped producing 360's in the spring because of all the inventory. I remember then announcing that they would only produce 500k in Spring, probably just the Elites (500k Elites sounds about right). I hope that Microsoft misses it's target and realize that they need a price drop. They shouldn't be reactive to the competition (Waiting for a PS3 drop) but proactive.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

well... looks like ioi "fixed" the data and the 200k missing units from "others" got returned..