By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Scariest Games By Year?

Dino Crisis (1999)
Silent Hill 3 (2003)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (2010)

Haven't played many horror games, but the above were both gripping and terrifying to me. Well, Dino Crisis also was fun, so it didn't offer the same level of terror that the two others did, but I remember playing very carefully and in suspense, so I will count it.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
ResilientFighter said:
not sure when outlast came out but i would include it

- Outlast released in 2013, but that's also when Slender: The Arrival came out, which was far scarier.

- 2017 - While Resident Evil 7 was scary, it didn't hold a candle to the scares in Home Sweet Home for 2017 (currently PC exclusive). I advise console horror fans to check it out when it releases next week for those devices. Outlast II was also scarier than RE7, but again, nothing on Home Sweet.

2016 - Stay Close

2018 - While I hear the case for Visage, Infliction will probably be scarier (another PC exclusive).

I see people mention Silent Hill 2 for 2001. Brilliant game, but not the scariest release that year. Best horror game that year, no doubt, but Fatal Frame was scarier in my eyes.

Oh, and in case we forget 2008 - Siren: Blood Curse.

slender man is not scary tho so outlast beats it plus the whole gore thing makes it even more traumatizing to some than a blankface skinny entity that hides behind things lol it only messes with a person if they were headphones loudly in the complete dark
RE7 is return to form scary so it keeps the best horror title of 2017

2015 - SOMA

That slow building atmosphere, sound design, and existential dread. This game was tops for me. Maybe not as frightening as Amnesia (which was god damn frightening), but the atmosphere, setting, and ideas were so oppressive. I felt crushed under a weight of pure dread and misery.

Great thread though! Gives me an opportunity to get a handful of scary games to queue up this halloween.

Haven't been playing nearly enough horror games recently. Feels like I need to be in a specific mood to want to play them. Still, there's one game I would like to mention that I haven't yet seen on this thread:

-Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion (A really cool little horror game that does a great job of building up suspense, starting out very innocent and almost kiddy with its cartoony art-style and silly attempts at scaring the player. However, that early silliness is completely intentional, and the further you get in the game the more unsettling it becomes, to the point that those same early weak attempts can now suddenly get to you because you're so tense. Best of all, its completely free on Steam, so there's no reason not to try it out.)