By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Taylor Swift encouraged her 112 million Instagram followers to register to vote

deskpro2k3 said:
irstupid said:

And what is your proof that Barkley was responsible for his win? Was he down like 10 points before the endorsement and then immediately after won? 

Correlation does not imply causation.

Who says that guy would not have won without Charles saying a word?

PwerlvlAmy said:

Sorry. That wasn't because of Barkley. Celebrities have zero impact. Never have and never will.  Doug Jones was a shoe in to win no matter what. 

This is hilarious.. When a celebrity endorses a candidate or encourage people to register to vote. Your answer: "Nothing never happens"

When people do register to vote, and said candidate wins. Your answer: "They were going to win anyways"

I'm kinda busy right now so I'll come back later with more sophisticated proof. (even though it may not change anything)

Oprah Winfrey's endorsement of Obama in 2008 was found to increase overall voter participation and number of contributions received by Obama, and an estimated overall 1 million additional votes.

Another example is Hillary who had many celeb endorsement won the popular vote by over 3mil.

Oprah better not be your proof. Oprah is like a 1 in a billion person.

You can't seriously be trying to compare Oprah saying something and Charles Barkley saying something. Barkley is only loved on TV as a sports caster because he says such stupid shit and people laugh at him. Do you ever watch TNT and him talk about basketball. It's always a good laugh. But regardless if you like Barkley or not, he is NOT Oprah.

And by your own words, Oprah only increased votes by an estimated 1 million votes, and that was over the entire united states. We are talking Charles Barkley and one state. 

Around the Network
irstupid said:
deskpro2k3 said:

This is hilarious.. When a celebrity endorses a candidate or encourage people to register to vote. Your answer: "Nothing never happens"

When people do register to vote, and said candidate wins. Your answer: "They were going to win anyways"

I'm kinda busy right now so I'll come back later with more sophisticated proof. (even though it may not change anything)

Oprah Winfrey's endorsement of Obama in 2008 was found to increase overall voter participation and number of contributions received by Obama, and an estimated overall 1 million additional votes.

Another example is Hillary who had many celeb endorsement won the popular vote by over 3mil.

You can't seriously be trying to compare Oprah saying something and Charles Barkley saying something. Barkley is only loved on TV as a sports caster because he says such stupid shit and people laugh at him. Do you ever watch TNT and him talk about basketball. It's always a good laugh. But regardless if you like Barkley or not, he is NOT Oprah.

And by your own words, Oprah only increased votes by an estimated 1 million votes, and that was over the entire united states. We are talking Charles Barkley and one state. 

You didn't read a single thing in the link provided, so I was right when I said this won't change anything. Facts don't matter with you, so no point in this back and forth BS. I'm done.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 15 October 2018

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
irstupid said:

You didn't read a single thing in the link provided, so I was right when I said this won't change anything. Facts don't matter with you, so no point in this back and forth BS. I'm done.

Is the title to your link misleading? 

The link says her support increased votes by an estimated 1,000,000

Is the title a lie? Why do I need to read more than that?

either way, point still remains. Barkley is no Oprah, and correlation does not imply causation.

irstupid said:
deskpro2k3 said:

either way, point still remains. Barkley is no Oprah, and correlation does not imply causation.

Exactly ^

But also didnt she endorse Phil over Blackburn and now this is happening: https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/10/15/tennessee-senate-race-marsha-blackburn-widens-lead-over-phil-bredesen-new-york-times-poll/1646568002/

then huge name celebrities rallied against Brexit and that passed

then nearly every celebrity backed D's in 2016 and that didnt turn out well either.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

irstupid said:
deskpro2k3 said:

You think I put that link there just for show? You don't have a damn point then.

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
irstupid said:

You think I put that link there just for show? You don't have a damn point then.

Ok now settle down. Don't go into that territory please. 

PwerlvlAmy said:
irstupid said:

Exactly ^

But also didnt she endorse Phil over Blackburn and now this is happening: https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/10/15/tennessee-senate-race-marsha-blackburn-widens-lead-over-phil-bredesen-new-york-times-poll/1646568002/

then nearly every celebrity backed D's in 2016 and that didnt turn out well either.

Not exactly^

You're missing the point. Trump was also a celebrity prior to becoming a candidate. Hillary also had many celeb endorsements and won the popular vote by over 3 million. Of course it didn't turn out well for her because of the electoral college.. With the right celebrity endorsements, political campaigns can do quite well. To say it never does, is not true.

deskpro2k3 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Exactly ^

Not exactly^

You're missing the point. Trump was also a celebrity prior to becoming a candidate. Hillary also had many celeb endorsements and won the popular vote by over 3 million. Of course it didn't turn out well for her because of the electoral college.. With the right celebrity endorsements, political campaigns can do quite well. To say it never does, is not true.

No. Everything I said is indeed true above. Events I listed above show it to be. You gave an example of Oprah, I gave you 3 recent accounts for my side as proof.  Also winning popular vote in america is like winning a participation trophy, doesnt mean anything, at all.  That much is indeed true. 

PwerlvlAmy said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Ok now settle down. Don't go into that territory please. 

irstupid, my apologies.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 16 October 2018

PwerlvlAmy said:
They've tried this before and it never works. Celebrities asking people to vote D or R never works.

PwerlvlAmy said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Not exactly^

No. Everything I said is indeed true above. Events I listed above show it to be. You gave an example of Oprah, I gave you 3 recent accounts for my side as proof.  Also winning popular vote in america is like winning a participation trophy, doesnt mean anything, at all.  That much is indeed true. 

It wasn't to long ago that you said celebrity endorsement never works. I gave you proof that it does work. (not all the time)

I think we're done here.