By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct delayed due to earthquake

It was most likely due to being respectful. A Nintendo Direct is a celebration of sorts. With Switch and 3DS taking over Japan, it would make sense for them not to "celebrate" in light of a Japan tragedy.

I just hope we don't have to wait a whole week for it.  I'm thinking maybe Monday or Tuesday.

Around the Network

Japan is also suffering the biggest typhoon in 25 years. Along with this and the earthquake, it’s been a rough week in Japan. Several people are dead, over a hundred are injured, and several more people are missing from the earthquake. And many around the Sapporo area have lost electricity and had their homes trapped from the landslide. Reportedly, Nd Cude is near the quake zone around that area as well. Some say things happen and earthquakes happen on occasion in Japan. Regardless, this is no joke and Nintendo did as they felt appropriate. Video game news can wait, there more to life than that.

This is intresting

Japan has 127 million people in their little country. That's well over a third the population of the U.S, all packed in a group of islands where much of the land is too rocky and mountainous to live. So when an earthquake strikes in the wrong spot it can be disastrous. Just imagine if Cali had 127 million people.

Miyamotoo said:
This is intresting

That is probable but at best the delay maybe for a week or so. Shoot anyone that purposefully leaks stuff given the situation would also wind up looking insensitive given the situation and likely could damage their own company brand with Nintendo or others.

Around the Network

I think the earthquake is just half the reason. The other half is probably Typhoon Jebi which hit Japan just a couple days ago and was the strongest one in 25 years to make landfall in Japan.

So with the south devastated by a Typhoon and the north by an earthquake, I'd rather delay something as trivial as a Direct, too

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 06 September 2018

More than anything else, the delay was likely due to Japan's sense of nationalism. they will want to make sure that their friends and families are safe before streaming a Direct. i remember a similar case several years ago where another earthquake in Japan resulted in GameFreak delaying online services for Pokemon Black and White by several months. Since this Direct will likely cover details regarding the Switch Online Services which are due later this month, I doubt we will see a delay that long again. My personal guess is sometime next weekend.