By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest 11 is the BOTW Sequel You Wanted

I'm about 8 hours in to DQ11, but I'm amazed at how similar the game is to BOTW already - it's basically bloodborne to zeldas dark souls. I doesn't feel like a ripoff, thanks to new and varied environments and story, but more like a spiritual sequel. It improves a lot on some of the things BOTW got wrong (better and bigger towns, better music and enemy variety) but falls short in a few others (world doesnt feel quite as large, pace is slower) Overall though, it's a great game so far. It's too early for me to say whether its better or worse than BOTW, but theyre such similar experiences that if you liked one you'll certainly enjoy the other.

How are you enjoying DQ11 so far?

Around the Network

Isn't it a story driven JRPG? That seems like a pretty big difference from BotW's focus on emergent gameplay

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

I'm sorry but no, the freedom of movement, the quirky physics, the puzzles, given I've only tried DQXI for a couple of minutes, but I'm pretty sure JRPG is not what BotW is.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

"X = The BotW of" = X = "The Dark Souls of"

Hiku said:

Someone said that God of War was a Breath of the Wild clone the other day here on these forums.
And now I hear that DQ11 is a spiritual sequel to BOTW.

Is this an elaborate gag/meme to compare everything to BOTW?
This is a turn based rpg that loads up a battle sequence when you encounter enemies, and you fight by selecting commands. I don't see the resemblance.

Yep it's simply DQ being DQ every game doesn't need to be seen through a BOTW lense , can't remember seeing  comparisons between Zelda and older DQ games why start now .

If a developer came out and stated they were taking inspiration from BOTW in regard to their game, or the similarities were obvious then yes, but this isn't either one of those scenarios.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
GameOverture said:
Isn't it a story driven JRPG? That seems like a pretty big difference from BotW's focus on emergent gameplay

Well I didnt say it was the exact same game. The main difference between the two is the greater story focus in DQ and different battle system. Other than that though they're extremely similar.

Hiku said:

Someone said that Monster Hunter was a Breath of the Wild clone the other day here on these forums.

This is a turn based rpg that loads up a battle sequence when you encounter enemies, and you fight by selecting commands. I don't see the resemblance.

Again, you point out the one difference, being the turn based battle system. But that's about where the differences end, everything else adds up to give an incredibly similar vibe to BOTW. 

mjk45 said:
Hiku said:

Someone said that God of War was a Breath of the Wild clone the other day here on these forums.

Yep it's simply DQ being DQ every game doesn't need to be seen through a BOTW lense , can't remember seeing  comparisons between Zelda and older DQ games why start now .

If a developer came out and stated they were taking inspiration from BOTW in regard to their game, or the similarities were obvious then yes, but this isn't either one of those scenarios.

Well past DQ games and Zelda werent really similar, I've been playing DQ since DQ3 and Zelda since ALLTP. However DQ11 clearly takes a ton of inspiration from BOTW, because they're super alike. That's not a bad thing, it's not like it's a cheap knockoff. It's a great game so far that feels like a sequel to BOTW.

contestgamer said:

I'm about 8 hours in to DQ11, but I'm amazed at how similar the game is to BOTW already - it's basically bloodborne to zeldas dark souls. I doesn't feel like a ripoff, thanks to new and varied environments and story, but more like a spiritual sequel. It improves a lot on some of the things BOTW got wrong (better and bigger towns, better music and enemy variety) but falls short in a few others (world doesnt feel quite as large, pace is slower) Overall though, it's a great game so far. It's too early for me to say whether its better or worse than BOTW, but theyre such similar experiences that if you liked one you'll certainly enjoy the other.

How are you enjoying DQ11 so far?

Your points are vague you really have given us very little in the way of what game mechanics it uses that move it away from other DQ games toward BOTW.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

DQ11 is a "sequel" to BOTW in the same way Super Mario Bros is a sequel to Pong.

Last Dragon Quest I played was DQVIII for the PS2. It was a traditional JRPG if I remember correctly. Unless XI has made the switch (no pun intended) to action RPG I seriously doubt it can be considered the "BotW sequel you wanted". 

uhhh...what? Isn't dragon quest a turn based jrpg?

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.