By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do most games have more longevity in sales (legs) in Europe than in the US?

Longer attention spans

Around the Network

Financial reasons. I'd bet they buy less digital games in thr countries where games have longer legs also.

That might be due to how broad "Europe" is. The legs might correspond to the sales in poorer european countries after price drop ?
Or maybe US moves on faster to newer games, with more incentives for hyperconsumerism (like how Japan releases flagship phones more often due to phones growing out of trend faster).

I used to buy a lot of new new games, but now I mostly buy games that are a year or two old and that are discounted. Can't keep up with the amount of releases and this has saved me a lot of money. Don't know if other Europeans think the same.

There are plenty of countries that have a better standard of living, more disposable income etc than the US, ignorance from people as always.

Around the Network

Because we don’t want to wait in line for something that you can just as easily buy tomorrow. It’s also why there’s no Black-Friday-like phenomenon here.

Can we get some examples?

Miyamotoo said:
Can we get some examples?

Just take any game of the current top ten and you‘ll see what I mean.

S.Peelman said:
Because we don’t want to wait in line for something that you can just as easily buy tomorrow. It’s also why there’s no Black-Friday-like phenomenon here.

True. I remember when Switch launched in US it was sold out pretty much everywhere meanwhile in the Netherlands it was still available and sold out after a few weeks or so now the Switch ain't a game but it applies.

The only game that sells instantly in Europe is Fifa.

More probable is that USA have more pre-order and day one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."