By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe in God? Why/Why not?

Do you believe in any god?

Yes 63 36.21%

No 111 63.79%

Total:174
JWeinCom said:
Peh said:

But that's not my definition. I didn't make it. It's the definition for atheists /atheism. 

Your academic paper is a complete different issue. Here is the thing. Atheists is usually applied to humans with a more complex thought process and awareness of its environment. Animals, plants and human babies don't belong in them, because they don't understand the question nor the concept. So, you won't get an answer out of them, ever. And thus, actually no one really cares.

But as the definition of atheism /atheist currently is, it can be also applied to them. Simply, because they all lack the believe in any god. That's it. They fit the definition.

If you really want to write an academic paper then of course you start with the history of the word, the change of meaning / definitions, genetic fallacies, requirements and so on. And if I logically follow it, you will reach the moment where you test the definition on babies and pigs. But if the conclusion is: " Babies and pigs don't actively believe in any god. This also applies to a lot of adults. But one are called atheists and the others nothing while both apply to the same definition", then this results in special pleading. 

A baby can't be a monotheists as much as they can't be a president (Despite Trump proves it otherwise). But they can be (not a theist) and (not a president.) Whereas for this first we got the word atheist which equals to (not a theist).

Also, the atheistic default position is a counter argument to apologist who claim that babies are theists.  

I understand that based on the definition you are using, babies fit.  But, I'd say that makes it a bad definition.

There is not an official definition for atheist.  The definition is whatever we (we meaning the people who are using the term) agree on.  That's why the definition changes over the year as you mentioned.  We notice "hey this definition doesn't quite capture what we mean" and then they propose a different one.  That's what I'm doing.  

That being said, it's not like I'm making up a new definition.  From Merriam Webster:  "one who subscribes to or advocates atheism". I don't think this one is perfect either, but I'd say it's much better at getting to what we really mean.

You said that when we are talking about atheists, what we are actually interested in is humans with complex thought processes that can evaluate the question, and no one cares about babies.  So then, wouldn't it be better to have a definition that includes only humans with complex thought processes, and excludes babies?  Isn't a definition that applies to what we actually care about better than one that includes things we don't actually care about?

As for it being a counter to theists, it's not really a good one.  I think that claiming babies for either group is just leaning into their method of thought.  You could say they're not theists, which is different from saying they're atheists.  I prefer Dawkin's counter-argument.  To paraphrase it's something like "There is no such thing as a Muslim child or a Christian child.  There are only children born to Muslim or Christian families."  I think this is a much better response.  I think "child born to a Christian family" is a much more apt label than atheist, and it also subtly conveys the idea of indoctrination.

Peh said:

Did you just messed up the quote? Are you answering for Zoombael? 

No, he messed up the quote.

"I think that claiming babies for either group is just leaning into their method of thought.  You could say they're not theists, which is different from saying they're atheists." 

I have the feeling that you have rather an issue with the label atheist itself. Calling babies atheists or not doesn't change for the fact that they don't believe in any deity. You trying to exclude babies for the simple fact that you don't like to call them atheist, because they have no option of choosing one over the other. But that's just how it is. Same as not believing in anything else out there. Because we don't have a label for everything doesn't mean it won't apply on them because they are babies. Hence, we call them babies and not not adults. What does adult mean anyway? Not everyone who reaches the age of an adult behaves like one. As if there is a standard on how an adult has to behave. 

This is pure semantics, and I don't wanna go deeper. I can also call them HIV negative unless they are HIV positiv. Or if you want to, not HIV positive. 

Just get over it. I'm done here. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Peh said:
JWeinCom said:

I understand that based on the definition you are using, babies fit.  But, I'd say that makes it a bad definition.

There is not an official definition for atheist.  The definition is whatever we (we meaning the people who are using the term) agree on.  That's why the definition changes over the year as you mentioned.  We notice "hey this definition doesn't quite capture what we mean" and then they propose a different one.  That's what I'm doing.  

That being said, it's not like I'm making up a new definition.  From Merriam Webster:  "one who subscribes to or advocates atheism". I don't think this one is perfect either, but I'd say it's much better at getting to what we really mean.

You said that when we are talking about atheists, what we are actually interested in is humans with complex thought processes that can evaluate the question, and no one cares about babies.  So then, wouldn't it be better to have a definition that includes only humans with complex thought processes, and excludes babies?  Isn't a definition that applies to what we actually care about better than one that includes things we don't actually care about?

As for it being a counter to theists, it's not really a good one.  I think that claiming babies for either group is just leaning into their method of thought.  You could say they're not theists, which is different from saying they're atheists.  I prefer Dawkin's counter-argument.  To paraphrase it's something like "There is no such thing as a Muslim child or a Christian child.  There are only children born to Muslim or Christian families."  I think this is a much better response.  I think "child born to a Christian family" is a much more apt label than atheist, and it also subtly conveys the idea of indoctrination.

No, he messed up the quote.

"I think that claiming babies for either group is just leaning into their method of thought.  You could say they're not theists, which is different from saying they're atheists." 

I have the feeling that you have rather an issue with the label atheist itself. Calling babies atheists or not doesn't change for the fact that they don't believe in any deity. You trying to exclude babies for the simple fact that you don't like to call them atheist, because they have no option of choosing one over the other. But that's just how it is. Same as not believing in anything else out there. Because we don't have a label for everything doesn't mean it won't apply on them because they are babies. Hence, we call them babies and not not adults. What does adult mean anyway? Not everyone who reaches the age of an adult behaves like one. As if there is a standard on how an adult has to behave. 

This is pure semantics, and I don't wanna go deeper. I can also call them HIV negative unless they are HIV positiv. Or if you want to, not HIV positive. 

You're actually really close to getting my point with the last thing you said.  Although, you're a little off.

HIV Negative and HIV positive are direct negations of one another. (Also, those terms are adjectives and not nouns and so they skirt the issue altogether since we always have to attach them to something specific).  However, atheist is not a direct negation of theist.  Everything that exists either has to be a theist or not a theist. This is a law of logic called the law of the excluded middle.

However, there are things that belong to that category not a theist (a sandwich for instance) that don't fall into the category of atheist. So "not a theist" and "atheist" are not the same thing.   Your definition of atheist seems to be the same as not a theist, and that's what I object to.   

Is it nitpicky?  Well yeah. But I kind of like being nitpicky. I'm interested in semantics and the intricacies of language.  I'm an English major with a heavy interest in logic.  I also quite like debate.  I find conversations on topics like this interesting. If you're not and don't, then by all means don't participate in a conversation about semantics.  But I don't appreciate you saying things like "get over it" or implying I have a problem with the label atheist.  It implies I'm being unreasonable or wrong, and I don't believe I am. Saying your not interested in semantics just means you're not interested in semantics.  It doesn't mean my argument about semantics (which is pretty well supported imho) is wrong.

You have presented a definition of atheist.  So have I.  Both can be found in legitimate sources.  We can choose to use either one.  I believe mine is a better definition.  I have explained why that is.  You have simply insisted that your definition is *the* definition, without explaining why it is more useful.  Despite acknowledging that it can apply to things you don't care about when you're talking about atheists.

So it's a simple question.  We have two choices of definitions.  Why is yours better?  This is the question I've been trying to get an answer to. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 15 September 2018

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

(...)

HIV Negative and HIV positive are direct negations of one another. (Also, those terms are adjectives and not nouns and so they skirt the issue altogether since we always have to attach them to something specific).  However, atheist is not a direct negation of theist.  Everything that exists either has to be a theist or not a theist. This is a law of logic called the law of the excluded middle.

(...)

As a silent observer who couldn't even be bothered to skim most of the posts, I want to say that the above quote sums it up. You are smarter than a cat.

In this case, I actually was kind of hoping someone would chime in.  I thought I was being fairly clear but since two people misunderstood me in the exact same way, I had to wonder.  You're allowed one more crack about the future Super Bowl champion New York Jets and future Hall of Famer Sam Darnold. 

JWeinCom said:
Peh said:

You're actually really close to getting my point with the last thing you said.  Although, you're a little off.

However, there are things that belong to that category not a theist (a sandwich for instance) that don't fall into the category of atheist. So "not a theist" and "atheist" are not the same thing.   Your definition of atheist seems to be the same as not a theist, and that's what I object to.   

Is it nitpicky?  Well yeah. But I kind of like being nitpicky. I'm interested in semantics and the intricacies of language.  I'm an English major with a heavy interest in logic.  I also quite like debate.  I find conversations on topics like this interesting. If you're not and don't, then by all means don't participate in a conversation about semantics.  But I don't appreciate you saying things like "get over it" or implying I have a problem with the label atheist.  It implies I'm being unreasonable or wrong, and I don't believe I am. Saying your not interested in semantics just means you're not interested in semantics.  It doesn't mean my argument about semantics (which is pretty well supported imho) is wrong.

You have presented a definition of atheist.  So have I.  Both can be found in legitimate sources.  We can choose to use either one.  I believe mine is a better definition.  I have explained why that is.  You have simply insisted that your definition is *the* definition, without explaining why it is more useful.  Despite acknowledging that it can apply to things you don't care about when you're talking about atheists.

So it's a simple question.  We have two choices of definitions.  Why is yours better?  This is the question I've been trying to get an answer to.

What's the definition of "not a theist"?

What's the definition of "atheist"?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

In this case, I actually was kind of hoping someone would chime in.  I thought I was being fairly clear but since two people misunderstood me in the exact same way, I had to wonder.  You're allowed one more crack about the future Super Bowl champion New York Jets and future Hall of Famer Sam Darnold. 

All the considerations of babies, sandwiches and cactuses can be shelved once it's understood how words work.

If one thought that "not a theist" is equal to "atheist", then that same person should also believe that "not good" is equal to "bad" for consistency's sake. But in reality, "not good" can mean a whole lot of things that are not equal to "bad", such as mediocre, meh, so-so, average or New York Jets.

The Jets have the second highest point differential in the NFL, which clearly proves they are the second best team.  Checkmate.

But, on topic, the considerations of babies and stuff can't necessarily be shelved.  Once we agree that atheist does not mean "not a theist", we have to decide how we should define atheist.  We can define it in such a way that would include such things.  I'm arguing that we shouldn't, because that's not really what we mean when we're talking about atheists.

Around the Network
Peh said:
JWeinCom said:

The definition of not a theist is not a theist.  I don't know how to define it more clearly than that unless I'm given a definition of theist.

If we define theist as a person who believes in the existence of a god or gods, then "not a theist" is literally everything that does not fit that definition.  A bean bag chair, a light bulb, a pig, a baby, a guitar, a star, a taco, a fabric swatch, a worm, my left foot, the instruction manual for Wario Ware, etc.  

Atheist is not a direct logical negation, so it doesn't have such a clear cut definition.  Atheist is a label that we are using to define a group.  It's up to us to create the label in such a way that it describes the group we want it to describe.

I would say a good definition for atheist would be "one who holds the position of atheism".  I would define atheism as "The position that the proposition "a god or gods exist" has not been demonstrated to be true."  This definition would I believe include everyone we mean to talk about when we talk about atheism, and would exclude everyone we don't.  For example, you acknowledged that we do not really care about babies when we're discussing atheism.  So, this definition would exclude them. 

I think this is a pretty good definition that accurately conveys what we mean to talk about when talking about when we use the term atheist.  Do you have a definition that you feel better conveys what we mean?  If so, what is that definition and why?

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

The Jets have the second highest point differential in the NFL, which clearly proves they are the second best team.  Checkmate.

But, on topic, the considerations of babies and stuff can't necessarily be shelved.  Once we agree that atheist does not mean "not a theist", we have to decide how we should define atheist.  We can define it in such a way that would include such things.  I'm arguing that we shouldn't, because that's not really what we mean when we're talking about atheists.

An atheist has a grasp of the concept of god(s) and does not believe in the existence of god(s).

I would basically agree with that.

The only quibble I would have is whether we should say "has a grasp of the concept of god(s), or "has the capability to grasp the concept of gods".  

Like, if there was a person in some remote culture that truly has no concept of god, I don't know if I would classify them as an atheist or not.  Although, I'm not sure a culture like that exists, so it may be a pointless distinction.  But yeah, otherwise, I'd agree with that.

JWeinCom said:
Peh said:

The definition of not a theist is not a theist.  I don't know how to define it more clearly than that unless I'm given a definition of theist.

If we define theist as a person who believes in the existence of a god or gods, then "not a theist" is literally everything that does not fit that definition.  A bean bag chair, a light bulb, a pig, a baby, a guitar, a star, a taco, a fabric swatch, a worm, my left foot, the instruction manual for Wario Ware, etc.  

Atheist is not a direct logical negation, so it doesn't have such a clear cut definition.  Atheist is a label that we are using to define a group.  It's up to us to create the label in such a way that it describes the group we want it to describe.

I would say a good definition for atheist would be "one who holds the position of atheism".  I would define atheism as "The position that the proposition "a god or gods exist" has not been demonstrated to be true."  This definition would I believe include everyone we mean to talk about when we talk about atheism, and would exclude everyone we don't.  For example, you acknowledged that we do not really care about babies when we're discussing atheism.  So, this definition would exclude them. 

I think this is a pretty good definition that accurately conveys what we mean to talk about when talking about when we use the term atheist.  Do you have a definition that you feel better conveys what we mean?  If so, what is that definition and why?

By your definition I am not allowed to say that I am "not a theist" even if I am not considering myself a theist. Is that correct?

Also, if you define "not a theist" as something as literally everything that doesn't fit the definition of a theist, then this would include an atheist. Am I correct?

Your definition of atheism would exclude people who  are  even being presented with evidence still wouldn't believe in one due to other reasons. For example, god being a mass murderer. Is that correct?

I don't want to sound pendantic, but let's get to the bottom of it.

Peh said:
JWeinCom said:

By your definition I am not allowed to say that I am "not a theist" even if I am not considering myself a theist. Is that correct?

Also, if you define "not a theist" as something as literally everything that doesn't fit the definition of a theist, then this would include an atheist. Am I correct?

Your definition of atheism would exclude people who  are  even being presented with evidence still wouldn't believe in one due to other reasons. For example, god being a mass murderer. Is that correct?

I don't want to sound pendantic, but let's get to the bottom of it.

By my definition, atheist is a subset of the group "not a theist".  Not only would you be allowed to say you are not a theist, but every atheist would by definition also be not a theist.  You could accurately use either term if you wanted.  

Think of it like rectangles and squares.  All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.  All atheists are "not a theist" but not all "not a theists" are atheists.

I didn't use the term believe in, because that can have two different meanings.  That's why I specified believes in the existence of.  A person who accepts that some god exists, but would choose not to follow him or worship him would still be a theist.  

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 15 September 2018

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

I would basically agree with that.

The only quibble I would have is whether we should say "has a grasp of the concept of god(s), or "has the capability to grasp the concept of gods".  

Like, if there was a person in some remote culture that truly has no concept of god, I don't know if I would classify them as an atheist or not.  Although, I'm not sure a culture like that exists, so it may be a pointless distinction.  But yeah, otherwise, I'd agree with that.

I like mine better because it describes an active stance and not merely the possibility to have an active stance or opinion on something. You could say that my definition is practical while your proposed second option is theoretical. When you look back on the definition for atheism that you gave Peh, you are talking about a position that a person has already thought about, so an active stance/actual opinion on the concept of god(s).

Yeah.  I guess you're right.  I definitely think of it as an active stance.