By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo hardware sales surpass 700 million total sold.

Will the Switch get it over the 800 million milestone?

Yes 11 50.00%

No 6 27.27%

Maybe so 5 22.73%

Total:22

Well it seems that Nintendo is another step closer to that magic billion number. Still a long ways off though. Over the course of 40 years, they have exactly sold 727,65 million units in total, of which the majority is made up out of their handheld devices (427,11 million). Who knows, maybe the Switch will get it over 800 million.

Breakdown:

Nintendo Home Console Sales (all numbers in millions)
NES – 61.91
SNES – 49.10
N64 – 32.93
GameCube – 21.74
Wii – 101.63
Wii U – 13.56
Switch – 19.67
Total: 300.54 million

Nintendo Handheld Sales (all numbers in millions)
Game Boy – 118.69 (includes Color)
Game Boy Advance – 81.51
DS – 154.02
3DS – 72.89
Total: 427.11 million

Oh, and no limited edition Switch sadly.

Source

Around the Network

Huh, PlayStation is closer than I thought. Colossal numbers.

Can Switch push it over 800m, A.K.A can the switch reach 91.3m?

It's possible.

Handheld is super strong, although I had an original gameboy, didn't know they sold that many.

Random_Matt said:
Handheld is super strong, although I had an original gameboy, didn't know they sold that many.

It includes Gameboy Colour as well.

It’s easy to forget just how huge the wii/ds gen was for Nintendo.

Switch is really a wild card, as it is a Nintendo home console/hybrid. I think it will surpass the 3ds quite easily but by how much I have no idea. With smash + Pokemon (lets go) and Pokemon (mainline) releasing in consecutive holiday seasons I guess even the wii’s Numbers could be surpassed?

Last edited by Cucumberry - on 13 August 2018

Around the Network

Wait, based on these numbers, is it accurate to say that Sony has sold more home consoles than Nintendo? I have a roughly 130 million difference in favor of Sony. I've been under the impression its roughly equal, or Nintendo is a bit ahead.

RolStoppable said:
Old news. That milestone was surpassed last year.

Which is why I included the actual total.

I dont think the switch can sell 80 million by 2020 which is around when the next gen PS5 is coming out. Once the PS5 is out I dont see why anyone would buy a 4 year old switch unless Nintendo plans on making the switch their only console going forward which I doubt. I believe they will milk the switch a little while longer then release the next Handheld "4DS" around 2020. Then around 2023 they will release the new Switch 2. Basically they will always be avoiding the Playstation rather than colliding with it. I think the switch will stop at around 60 million. But I could be wrong, it will all depend on how much of a leap forward the next gen Switch Pokemon will be. If Pokemon Lets GO is anything to go by then I feel it will be a huge disappointment. I am actually hoping that is not the case so that I can have a decent excuse to waste 300 on a switch. If "Pokemon Stars" is huge, and I dont mean pokemon sun and moon level, I am talking about 200+ amazing looking pokemon, Zelda level graphics, amazing new combat animations, no more grass but actual pokemon roaming around, and taking the online batle aspect to the next level, then I think they could easily make 80 million. Unfortunately looking back at all the previous Pokemon releases and how lazy they have been it is hard for me to see them breaking themselves out of the mold they have put themselves in. Nintendo needs to put in some work instead of some more cash grabs. A brand new successful Nintendo IP would also help.

also why did you ad switch to console instead of handheld?

contestgamer said:
also why did you ad switch to console instead of handheld?

Because Nintendo considers it a console.