By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate the Biggest Crossover in Gaming History?

That game is Nintendo 3DS.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Kai_Mao said:

I asked :P

That is a game I was thinking about as well. Even though very few of the franchises in Project X Zone (1 and 2) have the popularity of even Zelda's caliber, a lot of these franchises have their respective fanbases such as Soul Calibur, Tekken, Ace Attorney, Xenosaga, .hack, and Tales of.

Not sure what you mean by "even Zelda" when Zelda is one of the most popular franchises on these lists.
But I did the math now for Project X Zone 2.
Looking only at playable characters you can have on your team:

Franchises: 33
Total characters: 58

If we include bosses you can fight against, it's a total of 98 characters.

By the way, in your post above you said 67 (not including Echo fighters) but the list of 67 you provided does include Echo fighters. (As it should, imo.)

I guess by "even Zelda" he means nothing in Project X Zone reaches Zelda's level of popularity, whereas Smash has a number of franchises that are more popular and well-known than Zelda, those being Mario, Pokémon, possibly Sonic, and arguably even Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing and Final Fantasy (well, before BotW happened, maybe).

In any case, Smash has more characters and about the same number of franchises if we don't count all the franchises that are represented without a character, such as Monster Hunter or Tomodachi Life or whatever else. And including assist trophies, alternate skins and bosses, the total number of characters probably skyrockets way past 100.

Ain't nothing compared to Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

mZuzek said:
Hiku said:

Not sure what you mean by "even Zelda" when Zelda is one of the most popular franchises on these lists.
But I did the math now for Project X Zone 2.

Franchises: 33
Total characters: 58

By the way, in your post above you said 67 (not including Echo fighters) but the list of 67 you provided does include Echo fighters. (As it should, imo.)

I guess by "even Zelda" he means nothing in Project X Zone reaches Zelda's level of popularity, whereas Smash has a number of franchises that are more popular and well-known than Zelda, those being Mario, Pokémon, possibly Sonic, and arguably even Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing and Final Fantasy (well, before BotW happened, maybe).

In any case, Smash has more characters and about the same number of franchises if we don't count all the franchises that are represented without a character, such as Monster Hunter or Tomodachi Life or whatever else. And including assist trophies, alternate skins and bosses, the total number of characters probably skyrockets way past 100.

When Zelda is near the top of the echelon of maybe 50+ franchises (combining both lists) I wouldn't say "even Zelda", but alright.

Though after looking into bosses, I learned that several of them are actually recruitable and playable.
https://projectxzone.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Playable

So the total number of playable characters is higher than 58. But I can't be bothered to count them right now.

Playable characters:

Project X Zone 2: 58 +??
Smash Ultimate: 69 (Including Echo Fighters.)

Franchises:

Project X Zone 2: 33
Smash Ultimate: 32

So Project X Zone 2 may or may not have more playable characters, and one more franchise among those represented.
But they're pretty different games, so Smash has Pokemon and Assist trophies as well.

Last edited by Hiku - on 10 August 2018

Whats more interesting is that we will have more 3rd party characters announcements.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Ain't nothing compared to Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

All we need is Fat Princess :P

1doesnotsimply

RolStoppable said:
Only until the release of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2.

Pls were talking about good fighters here

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Hiku said:

If we're talking number different franchises involved, Project X Zone may take the cake.

I haven't done the math, but might be interesting to do that and compare.

~Edit~

Playable characters:

Project X Zone: 58 + ?? (You can recruit and play as some bosses, but I haven't counted how many.)
Smash Ultimate: 69 (Including Echo Fighters.)

Franchises:

Project X Zone: 33
Smash Ultimate: 32

I agree with this. not to say project x zone is better than smash, but it mashes together alot more from different franchises than just a fighter and their stage. 

side note: i REALLY hope switch gets a pxz 3