By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 40% of Americans have negative net income

JRPGfan said:
massimus said:
They are imitating our federal government. Get a Chinese loan, problem solved. Or don’t spend more then you earn.... crazy concept in 2018, I know.

You do understand that alot of people are makeing less than they need to survive right?

"or dont spend more than you earn"

Sounds easy right? but what if you cant find any place cheaper to live? or spend less on food?
Should they become homeless? and just stop eating?

Like thats what its like for the poorest, they have no choice but to live off loans, as these studies suggest.
But rather than help the poor, lets give tax breaks to the top 1% richest in the country right? or spend $700 bn on military?

Everyone lives off of loans lol. I didn’t have cash to pay for my house or car. My financing is manageable. I don’t buy shit I can’t afford. 

Around the Network
massimus said:
JRPGfan said:

You do understand that alot of people are makeing less than they need to survive right?

"or dont spend more than you earn"

Sounds easy right? but what if you cant find any place cheaper to live? or spend less on food?
Should they become homeless? and just stop eating?

Like thats what its like for the poorest, they have no choice but to live off loans, as these studies suggest.
But rather than help the poor, lets give tax breaks to the top 1% richest in the country right? or spend $700 bn on military?

Everyone lives off of loans lol. I didn’t have cash to pay for my house or car. My financing is manageable. I don’t buy shit I can’t afford. 

It's curious to see american talking about the minimum someone needs to live.

Like the person needs to live in a expensive city, have big TV and relatively new car, etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
massimus said:

Like the person needs to live in a expensive city, have big TV and relatively new car, etc.

The people who complain are ignorant to how truly awful it can get out there. They only know or care about their own situation. Why can’t I get ahead in New York City?! I can’t make a livable wage in NYC! I need more assistance, have you no compassion?! Must be the 1%.

massimus said:
DonFerrari said:

The people who complain are ignorant to how truly awful it can get out there. They only know or care about their own situation. Why can’t I get ahead in New York City?! I can’t make a livable wage in NYC! I need more assistance, have you no compassion?! Must be the 1%.

Yep... there are trully miserable people even in USA, but a very big bunch of the ones on this 40% negative income wouldn't be in that if not by own choice.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
massimus said:

Yep... there are trully miserable people even in USA, but a very big bunch of the ones on this 40% negative income wouldn't be in that if not by own choice.

A lot of them were taught to think this way, that the world owes them something. It’s not entirely their own fault, it’s a failure of public and higher education in the states. I’m in that 40%, I have debt and bills but it’s not a big deal. I just work and pay my bills lol. 

Around the Network
massimus said:
DonFerrari said:

A lot of them were taught to think this way, that the world owes them something. It’s not entirely their own fault, it’s a failure of public and higher education in the states. I’m in that 40%, I have debt and bills but it’s not a big deal. I just work and pay my bills lol. 

Another bad thing of today is the demand for university degree on a lot of companies for functions and roles that can be done with Jr. High knowledge.

pokoko said:
Jaicee said:

Why not offer an opinion of your own on this subject then instead of just criticizing the opinions of others?

I wasn't criticizing opinions, I was criticizing the overabundance of rhetoric.  The difference seems pretty damn obvious.

Regardless, I did have the intention of discussing this but then I realized it would probably be futile mixed in with the "it's your side's fault" comments.  The person who says "it's both side's fault" might as well be shouting into a hurricane.  Even more futile is the idea that the situation is going to be addressed seriously.  Big money interests run the government and until it benefits them to change the way the economy operates--or it crashes and burns with them inside--researchers can talk about this until they are blue in the face.   The banks are the overlords Genghis Khan dreamed of being.

The drive for short-term profit over long-term stability in the financial sector is overwhelming the average citizen.  The highest sources of debt are growing much faster than median income.  Student loans and medical bills are out of control.  Rising interest rates on top of heavy debt have turned it into a crushing burden that people can't claw their way out of.  

Of course, it's also true that the average person is absolutely terrible at managing their finances.  They're being offered loans and credit cards that they shouldn't be offered and taking them without realizing the consequences.  At my last job, I had a few entry-position people ($8.75 an hour) teasing me for driving an old car (2005) because they had new Camaros and full-size pickup trucks.  Unnecessary purchases are the biggest source of credit card debt and the average household pays an obscene amount each year just in interest.  

So, a lot needs to change, from the lending infrastructure to the way people use their income.  The systems that are causing the most ridiculous debt, like college loans and medical billing, obviously need to be overhauled.  Everyone in the world can see that what we have now is killing us in more ways than one.  There shouldn't be a politician in Washington who isn't working on finding a real and meaningful solution.  The affordability of housing is also becoming a serious problem.  At the very least, the cost of living should not consistently gain on pay rate increases. 

This is a multifaceted problem.  The last thing we need are people pointing fingers and making excuses.

I mean, both sides are bad at this, but I think one side has spent a lot more time punching the other side in the face whenever it does actually sit down and try to solve serious problems.  I totally agree on a lot of your analysis, though, especially the bolded. 

One other thing:  It's not even just Right vs Left.  Half of the initial responses to the OP were from anti-money guys using it as an excuse to climb on their hobby horse. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Greatest country on Earth, people.

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Is that really what you think the poor are demanding?  Expensive city living, bit TVs and a new car?

It's usually what they are putting their money on. They are living on expensive cities instead of some areas on the countryside, a lot have big TVs and iphones and also relatively new cars.

It also my come as surprise to you, but most of the poor people are also more worried about unemployment than gender/identity policies, which is where most of the left is focusing on.

DonFerrari said:
SpokenTruth said:

Is that really what you think the poor are demanding?  Expensive city living, bit TVs and a new car?

It's usually what they are putting their money on. They are living on expensive cities instead of some areas on the countryside, a lot have big TVs and iphones and also relatively new cars.

It also my come as surprise to you, but most of the poor people are also more worried about unemployment than gender/identity policies, which is where most of the left is focusing on.

It's important to define what exactly "poor" means in this context. I have always considered myself to have grown up in a poor family. My parents divorced when I was young, so I lived with my mom, my brother, and my sister until I went away for University. We had housing assistance, medical assistance, cheaper utility bills, etcetera. I even remember having to pretend that our front porch was a bedroom so that we could consider our two bedroom house to have three bedrooms (I guess this allowed us to receive more money from housing).

Despite all this, we always had an internet connection in the house, and we always had a vehicle to get around. Cell phones didn't really become a thing until I was in high school, but I did indeed have my own cell phone. Single mom raising three kids on a $12 per hour wage; I don't know how she did it.

However, by definition, poor means lacking sufficient money to live at a standard considered comfortable or normal in a society. By this definition, maybe we weren't poor. It's hard to say, really, as we always had a roof over our head, always had food, water, electricity, everything else you'd come to expect. It seems like even the poorest people will still be able to scrape by (albeit barely) with the assistance provided to them by the government.