By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Super Mario Odyssey Outdo Donkey Kong 64 With Collectibles?

Yeah,I also wouldn't count coins as collectible and more as an in-game currency. Unlike the coins on Odyssey,the regular bananas on DK64 have a limited amount and are on a fixed place on the stages.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network

Not even close. DK64 had Blueprints, Golden Bananas, Character-Specific Bananas (for five kinds), Banana Fairies, Banana Balloons, Banana Coins, Musical Instruments pads for each character... I could go on and on. That game was a slog because you had to constantly go back to the barrel to change Kongs. In Mario, you're just Mario and can grab stuff.

I would say that Mario Odyssey feels like it has more pointless stuff to collect than DK64, at least to me. DK64 may have more individual unique items to collect (don't really know if it ever had the most) but Mario Odyssey feels like more of a slog with much more of it's main collectable, the need to grind immense numbers of coins and speaking of that prime collectable, Odyssey seems to beef up it's numbers by stuffing them everywhere. I'm almost surprised that every goomba doesn't drop a power moon. I get that DK64 did it with bananas which is where it gets the vast majority of it's 3000+ number but they were supposed to be the lowest form of thing you pick up (in previous games they were infinite).

CaptainExplosion said:
Landale_Star said:
I would say that Mario Odyssey feels like it has more pointless stuff to collect than DK64, at least to me. DK64 may have more individual unique items to collect (don't really know if it ever had the most) but Mario Odyssey feels like more of a slog with much more of it's main collectable, the need to grind immense numbers of coins and speaking of that prime collectable, Odyssey seems to beef up it's numbers by stuffing them everywhere. I'm almost surprised that every goomba doesn't drop a power moon. I get that DK64 did it with bananas which is where it gets the vast majority of it's 3000+ number but they were supposed to be the lowest form of thing you pick up (in previous games they were infinite).

I never thought of it that way.

When in Odyssey is it required to grind for coins, though?

Such a shame that so many people thinks DK64 has way too many collectables. We`ll probably never see a game like that again. I loved it.

Around the Network
Medisti said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I never thought of it that way.

When in Odyssey is it required to grind for coins, though?

Not for beating the game, but to buy things and even just adding the base prices won't give a realistic number since you lose coins upon death.

KLXVER said:
Such a shame that so many people thinks DK64 has way too many collectables. We`ll probably never see a game like that again. I loved it.

I never came close to beating that game, but I'll be honest: It's the only Donkey Kong game I've enjoyed (The original is rather fun too). I've tried both DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze and couldn't play them for more than 2 levels without getting bored. It's about time DK went 3D again.

Most controversial gaming opinion? Maybe.
Nah. I like Wii Music, Super Paper Mario is seriously underrated and also Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game.