By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you want in Octopath Traveler's artstyle

Chrono Break...always Chrono Break...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Final Fantasy IV-VI and Chrono Trigger remade like this would be absolutely amazing lol... doubt it'll happen though, but a guy can dream, right? :P

This. A thousand times this.

All the early final fantasy games?

I love the art style in Octopath Traveler. I loved the art style in Bravely Default as well. S-E seems to specialize these days in portable RPGs.

KLXVER said:
Kalkano said:

Moving from mid-tier 3D games, back to low-budget 2D games.

I highly doubt this game was much cheaper to make than many 3D JRPGs. 

And I can't fathom that.  Of course it was much cheaper.  That shouldn't even be in question.  Graphics make up the vast majority of a game's budget.  The fact that it's much cheaper is pretty much the only reason to do it...

Edit: For arguments sake, let's say it wasn't much cheaper (it was).  I'd still see it as a massive step backwards for the genre, simply moving from 3D to 2D (assuming lots of others followed suit).  People who love the game are going to take this as a massive insult (and frankly, they should), but I would actually rather play a Compile Heart game than a game like Octopath.  That's how much it turns me off.

Last edited by Kalkano - on 01 August 2018

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos

Around the Network

Kalkano said:
KLXVER said:

I highly doubt this game was much cheaper to make than many 3D JRPGs. 

And I can't fathom that.  Of course it was much cheaper.  That shouldn't even be in question.  Graphics make up the vast majority of a game's budget.  The fact that it's much cheaper is pretty much the only reason to do it...

Edit: For arguments sake, let's say it wasn't much cheaper (it was).  I'd still see it as a massive step backwards for the genre, simply moving from 3D to 2D (assuming lots of others followed suit).  People who love the game are going to take this as a massive insult (and frankly, they should), but I would actually rather play a Compile Heart game than a game like Octopath.  That's how much it turns me off.

So to you this :

Looks better than this ?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

Kalkano said:

So to you this :

Looks better than this ?

Well, to be fair, I think the second picture you posted is simply a bad, blurry image, and not representative.  But, even so, yes, very much so.

Though, I'm still turned off by the top-down camera angle in SoM Remake, and wish it was over-the-shoulder.

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos

I'd love a Link to the Past remake inspired by this!

1doesnotsimply

Kalkano said:
TruckOSaurus said:

So to you this :

Looks better than this ?

Well, to be fair, I think the second picture you posted is simply a bad, blurry image, and not representative.  But, even so, yes, very much so.

Though, I'm still turned off by the top-down camera angle in SoM Remake, and wish it was over-the-shoulder.

To each his own then because to me Octopath is a thousand times better than the Secret of Mana remake. SoM:R is incredibly bland while Octopath is so beautiful, they managed to mix 3D and 2D in a seamless way, the lighting effects, realistic fire and water blend so well with the 16 bit world, it's quite impressive.

Signature goes here!