By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - World of Final Fantasy is very Bipolar but awesome nethertheless!

According to the Director, World of Final Fantasy was intended to draw in a younger audience. They specifically mentioned players of Yokai Watch which targets elementary kids. At first glance it sure feels that way. It has a very light hearted (though well written and voiced story) story, cutesy (but high quality) presentation, full of mascot monsters, Animated cutscenes and quite honestly, its reason why it's taken me so long to finally get it.

Well I finally, bought the game after getting my Type 0 Plat :) .... and I lost more fights than both my Final Fantasy XV and Type 0 playthroughs combined!. This game is quite challenging so challenging that I'm like, " Are they sure they were targeting kids?". The first real boss of the game was so tough that I thought it was scripted battle that I was suppose to lose, you should seen me at the Game Over screen, "I was suppose to win that?". Game has an experience system that always ensures that you are in range with monsters in the area so, it's more about strategy then stats. As frustrating as that is... I love it. The stack mechanic is awesome. I initially did not care for it but its integrated so well into game that I could not help but have a change of mind. So of that stacks can pretty damn cool and I like how they use the series staples creatures to create logical evolution lines.

Bonus: If you played Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, you will be right at home with World of Final Fantasy. I am positive that Square Enix used that game as a template. 

Basically, if you are hungry for another high quality turn based RPG that offers a welcomed challenge, look no further. If you are like I originally was and passed because of the kiddy aim, dont do it. There is something here for you too.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
An amazing game. I did everything but a couple of the mini games at the end. Although I didn't find it hard at all. Then again I cheaped out and went turn based.

You get the choice between turn and action. Turn based makes the game really easy. You don't have to rush to do anything. You just take your time, inspect them, use the right elements etc.

Collected them all, did all the quests etc. Easily my game of the year for the year it released. The references to the Final Fantasy series were great. Poor gilgamesh.

That would explain it. I'm playing on active, so the enemies get a few free shots in while I'm scurrying through the menu. Ball is always in their court on active. I am having sooooo much more fun with this than I thought I was going to.

I actually got World of Final Fantasy when it first came out, but I've yet to begin playing the game myself.

My four year old daughter, probably 2 or 3 at the time, did play the game. I sort of helped her along, so in a sense I did start my file. I'm looking forward to the day that I start my own playthrough, as I think the art style is amazing, and I really like the characters. The "helper" character, which I can't remember (was it Mog?), has this cute language nuance where she keeps saying the word "the" at inappropriate times (or maybe it's a different word, I can't recall), and while many probably found this bothersome, I really liked it.

I also like the familiar enemies, locales, and variety.

Fun fact: My daughter calls it the "plushie game".

Edit: How was Type-0?

RaptorChrist said:

I actually got World of Final Fantasy when it first came out, but I've yet to begin playing the game myself.

My four year old daughter, probably 2 or 3 at the time, did play the game. I sort of helped her along, so in a sense I did start my file. I'm looking forward to the day that I start my own playthrough, as I think the art style is amazing, and I really like the characters. The "helper" character, which I can't remember (was it Mog?), has this cute language nuance where she keeps saying the word "the" at inappropriate times (or maybe it's a different word, I can't recall), and while many probably found this bothersome, I really liked it.

I also like the familiar enemies, locales, and variety.

Fun fact: My daughter calls it the "plushie game".

Edit: How was Type-0?

Your daughter is absolutely right. I was just thinking about how Cactuar looks like plushie doll during my last session. 

Type 0 was amazing. Loved it to death. I consider it to be the best thing to come out of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series. It takes all the classic Final Fantasy elements and does interesting things with them. It also has a bleak tone that is different from past FF. I highly recommend it.

I played this with my daughter a couple of years ago. (I think she was 8 at the time.) It was fun for both of us. She loved the Chibi art style and collecting all the monsters. She also really loved Tama. I loved the nostalgia factor of revisiting a lot of my favorite Final Fantasy characters and I really liked planning out how to make my stacks and advance my monsters. It's a super fun game for both young and old if you like Final Fantasy games.

Around the Network

Well I said in your type 0 thread that I loved World of final fantasy =p.

It isn't that challenging you just have to learn the game and at the beginning and I guess everyone don't like to change their 'monsters' at the beginning.

I platinumed that game aswell, it can be very hard at the end of the game to platinum it but god it is so much fun, and really sad their is no console sequel.

konnichiwa said:

It isn't that challenging you just have to learn the game and at the beginning and I guess everyone don't like to change their 'monsters' at the beginning.

I platinumed that game aswell, it can be very hard at the end of the game to platinum it but god it is so much fun, and really sad their is no console sequel.

I think a big part of the challenge is not always being prepared to fight the boss (regular enemies too). I have this curse where I will have always have a stack that does not perform well against the boss. Your right, sometimes it a nuisance to switch in other monsters when you are specifically training certain monsters for whatever reason. I can be stubborn. I also play on active, you may beat the A.I. In the turn gauge but they will always choose their actions before you unless you know your just going to use Attack then mashing X will but you before them in order que.

Xxain said:
konnichiwa said:

I think a big part of the challenge is not always being prepared to fight the boss (regular enemies too). I have this curse where I will have always have a stack that does not perform well against the boss. Your right, sometimes it a nuisance to switch in other monsters when you are specifically training certain monsters for whatever reason. I can be stubborn. I also play on active, you may beat the A.I. In the turn gauge but they will always choose their actions before you unless you know your just going to use Attack then mashing X will but you before them in order que.

Well no worries, I had some annoying moments in the game but I recommend you to try to go for everything, try to go for the challenges they all make you stronger. I had great time catching everyone and you get so much extra stuff to see in the game especially  stuff a FF fan will appreciate.  One of the few games that really opens up if you go for platinum.

World of Final Fantasy was fantastic. If anybody wants a good recent turn based JRPG this is the fix.

The game can be a bit challenging if you dont have the right team set up but it can be a bad habit to not wanting to switch your team when you spent a lot time levelling up certain monsters in my case hehe

I really like World of Final Fantasy, I'm about to finish it and I'm really surprised by the amount of polish and content that the game has. I love the side quests that involve the FF characters, all them have their own cutscenes, which really surprised me. I enjoy the battle system a lot and the stack mechanic (though there are no reasons to battle unstacked). Regarding the difficulty, it isn't that easy but I didn't find it particulary hard. Overall, it's my second the-favorite FF spin-off after FF Tactics and I have this feeling that whenever I play FFXV I won't like it as much as WoFF.

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 27 July 2018