By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marty Sliva leaving IGN

One could argue they are sinking because of... too much water.

I'll see myself out.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
IGN used to be good, but they just keep hiring too many random freelance writers. I like Easy Allies, and Destructoid because they have one guy doing the bulk of the reviews. It makes it easier to get to know and understand the reviewer. So if they say something bad about a game, I might get it anyway, due to knowing their tastes and writing style for so long, that I know their criticisms won't be mine.

I agree that if you're going to run a big site, it's better to have at most ... like ... 4-5 people running it. I've watched a couple of those old Gamespot reviews and it's impressive how well they describe a game in like 5 minutes, seriously. I think their best reviews were .... Greg and .. Jeff? I think that's their first names. They were great. I think the fat one is one Destructoid or something, he's on all the VR memes now. 

Yeah Jeff Gerstman, Brad Shoemaker, and Greg Kasavin were the perfect trio of reviewers back in the day. From 1996 to 2006 Gamespot was my first source of reviews. I still remember when Jeff dropped his 10/10 review of Ocarina of Time back in 98. I didn't think any game deserved that at the time. I was so wrong. Jeff and Brad run Giant Bomb, which is a good site, so long as you keep in mind that on their 5 star scale a score of 3 stars is average. Greg works with Supergiant games making Transistor and Bastion. Giant Bomb doesn't publish enough reviews though. They might do 10 to 15 reviews a year. I sure wish they were more active.