By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Microsoft's measure of success has changed, why hasn't ours?

AngryLittleAlchemist said: 

So, the question is, if Microsoft's measure of success has changed, why hasn't ours? 

Microsoft hasn't proven that their measure of success is realistic. They keep saying that XBL, Gamepass, and software sales are more important than Console Unit sales. But they haven't produced the PnL sheets to prove it financially. 

Sorry, but for real, somebody needs to dig up their Profit and Loss sheets, and then go over it with a fine tooth comb. If their gaming division is making as much money per dollar spent or more, as Sony's gaming division then they are successful. If not, then their measure of success is just marketing B.S. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

So, the question is, if Microsoft's measure of success has changed, why hasn't ours? 

Microsoft hasn't proven that their measure of success is realistic. They keep saying that XBL, Gamepass, and software sales are more important than Console Unit sales. But they haven't produced the PnL sheets to prove it financially. 

Aren't consoles usually sold at a loss? If so, would that not mean Microsoft's words that "XBL, Gamepass, and software sales are more important than console unit sales" are correct?

Cerebralbore101 said:

Sorry, but for real, somebody needs to dig up their Profit and Loss sheets, and then go over it with a fine tooth comb. If their gaming division is making as much money per dollar spent or more, as Sony's gaming division then they are successful. If not, then their measure of success is just marketing B.S. 

Why is Sony the measure of success? Why can't the measure of success be profitability?

KLAMarine said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Aren't consoles usually sold at a loss? If so, would that not mean Microsoft's words that "XBL, Gamepass, and software sales are more important than console unit sales" are correct?

Cerebralbore101 said:

Why is Sony the measure of success? Why can't the measure of success be profitability?

Console sales drive software sales, and publishing fees from 3rd parties. Consoles are sold at a loss initially, but they recoup that loss by charging a $10 publishing fee for every game sold on their platform. 

Because if you're not making as much money as the competition, then why not put the money elsewhere, where it can make more profit? And why should investors be happy if the gaming division is making money, but not as much money as if they put investors' money towards something else?  

Cerebralbore101 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Nope. 45-55 million is still a viable audience.

The Vita wasn't a failure because it sold significantly less than PSP. Vita would have been a great success with half of PSP's userbase. Wii U could have been successful with half of the Wii's userbase. The movie Solo wasn't a failure because it made less money than other Star Wars movie, it was just a flop. Understand?

Sega bought Atlus well after they went 3rd party (around 2013). Meanwhile the Saturn and Dreamcast only sold like 10 million units, which is why they went 3rd party (around 2000).

I predict the next Xbox technically will have Windows, but it won't function like a Windows PC. Which would be a great idea, the Xbox should be capable of running Windows software easily for developers.

Ah ok. So flop as in selling so little that the business is literally unsustainable at that point. In that case how low would Xbox 1 sales have to be for MS' whole gaming division to lose money, and be unsustainable without huge injections of cash from their other divisions? 

Don't know, but console manufacturing has become much more low risk post 360 and PS3. Because MS and Sony are seemingly no longer interested in taking huge losses to push power and grow their userbase. PS3 in particular was sold at a massive loss. 8th gen console were sold at a small loss in comparison, they were kind of like mid range PCs and priced accordingly. MS said they lose money on X1X sales, but its likely small and to boast its value.

Essentially, Xbox isn't a separate thing that MS just happens to own. That's perspective many seem to have. Xbox is also a vehicle for pushing MS software, subscription services, movies, etc. Over the last few years, Xbox has essentially been used to bolster the Microsoft/Windows Store. In general, I don't get the impression they're injecting as much into gaming as they once did because its not necessary. 1st parties have been lowering their risks and relying heavily on 3rd parties to push hardware.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Cerebralbore101 said:

I'm confused by the part I bolded. I don't think how MS is doing compared to Sony is important. Certainly not the sole barometer of success.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
KLAMarine said:

Console sales drive software sales, and publishing fees from 3rd parties. Consoles are sold at a loss initially, but they recoup that loss by charging a $10 publishing fee for every game sold on their platform. 

Because if you're not making as much money as the competition, then why not put the money elsewhere, where it can make more profit? And why should investors be happy if the gaming division is making money, but not as much money as if they put investors' money towards something else?  

People seem to have the impression MS's gaming division is draining MS of all its resources.

Even while throwing billions into gaming and purchasing of IPs like Minecraft and Gears. They still scrape up enough money to make major acquisitions like LinkedIn and GitHub.

Gaming is just one of the many things they have a presence in. Its not even their primary focus, its kinda just something they do.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said: I'm confused by the part I bolded. I don't think how MS is doing compared to Sony is important. Certainly not the sole barometer of success.

So comparing profitability of the most similar competitor isn't important? And comparing console sales figures of the most similar competitor isn't important either. How about just comparing their Games Division's profitability to the profitability of other gaming companies? Is MS' Gaming Division as profitable as Activision? How about Take2? Or Sega? 

My guess is that no, they are not as profitable as these other companies. Profitable means how much money you make per dollar spent. So if you spend a dollar, and make a dollar and ten cents, then you have 10% profitability, which is golden. Any company that makes that much money per dollar spent will have investors flocking to them. That's because those investors will get a huge return on their investment every year. It's like putting a thousand dollars into a stock, and getting paid $100 at the end of the year, just for letting a company borrow your money. This may sound like small potatoes, but if you whip out a calculator it really adds up over the years. Over just five years your $1000 will have grown to well over $1600. After ten years your $1000 is now worth $2500. All for just letting a really good company borrow your money. 

Why allow the loser to redefine success, just because you support them? Also, hear of a thing called Steam? Even if every Xbox, Nintendo, PS gamers bought a gaming PC doesn't mean MS is going to see a ton of cash from that. Sure, they're happy to get that Windows revenue from the PC maker, but unless those gamers are actually buying MS published games or shopping on the Windows store, that's where it ends.

There's a real reason they got rid of Xbox exclusives. It's not because of some grand scheme that they originally had to tie everyone into Xbox/Windows Store. It happened because of low HW sales. They are preparing for if their next HW sells even less than the XBO. No point in having exclusives for a dying machine, when you can get a lot more money from the millions of PC gamers, as well as from PS4/PC and Nintendo/PC gamers.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Previously, I said that we can't look at MS' Gaming Division's Profit and Loss sheets. But maybe we can? Can anybody post MS' latest financial statements, as well as Sony's? If MS' Gaming Division is making more profit per dollar spent than Sony's Gaming Division, then that can be considered successful.

But my money is on MS' Gaming Division's PnL sheets being either impossible to find, or too deeply connected to their other business to be able to tell if they are really making money from Xbox as a brand.

I believe they are tied to more devices than just Xbox, so you can't really look at just the Xbox side of it.  An interesting note, Xbox Live MAU's actually went down by 2M since last quarter.  I wonder if this will continue or if it is is just a slight dip for now.

thismeintiel said:
Why allow the loser to redefine success, just because you support them? Also, hear of a thing called Steam? Even if every Xbox, Nintendo, PS gamers bought a gaming PC doesn't mean MS is going to see a ton of cash from that. Sure, they're happy to get that Windows revenue from the PC maker, but unless those gamers are actually buying MS published games or shopping on the Windows store, that's where it ends.

There's a real reason they got rid of Xbox exclusives. It's not because of some grand scheme that they originally had to tie everyone into Xbox/Windows Store. It happened because of low HW sales. They are preparing for if their next HW sells even less than the XBO. No point in having exclusives for a dying machine, when you can get a lot more money from the millions of PC gamers, as well as from PS4/PC and Nintendo/PC gamers.

What? I said a lot of these things in this very thread (specifically the one about it being a way to compensate for low HW sales). I don't see how we disagree but then your first two sentences somehow try to create an argument against what i'm saying.

My point isn't that Windows 10 makes Xbox successful. I literally edited this into the OP so people would stop acting like that's what I said. I'm saying that the goal Microsoft is achieving isn't even linearly hardware sales anymore, so judging their success on slippery arguments like "Oh but I can get this on PC!" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. That's literally not the ball game Microsoft is playing. Why allow the loser to redefine success? Uh .. they aren't ... they're redefining what route they are taking to success because they realized it's more profitable to try and reach a greater audience and couldn't rebound their console completely.  

My point also isn't that every PC gamer buys Microsoft products consistently? Although Windows is by far the most popular operating system especially for PC Gaming machines and considering how overpriced Windows is for how little it costs to provide it to consumers ... yeah .. (conveniently there is a sale of Windows 10 for $40-60$ right now!)