By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

i hate it that these days there is so much political correctness

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
Alara317 said:

You really don't know what Roseanne said and did? 

she said someone looked like a monkey... so?

am i truly supposed to believe you have not insulted someone in a similar fashion at any point?

I have never, ever called a black woman a monkey. Hasn't even occurred to me. In fact, the one time I caught my father calling a black man and his daughter a monkey, I walked out of Tim Hortons and we've not spoken since. That was 2010. 

So no. I am not racist (At least not that way, for sure).

LordLichtenstein said:
Reading through this thread I'm really disappointed.

Please tell me, why should he not be allowed to joke about rape and paedophilia? I hear people joking about 9/11, Jews and all sorts of controversial stuff all the time. You trying to dictate what people can/can't joke about, is you being against freedom of speech. Comedy, regardless of how bad the humour, is an art form like music, painting, film etc.
James did not have to apologize in my opinion, but I'm glad he did. He realized that his words had hurt some people, and being the compassionate guy that he is he apologized. It is also my understanding that he wished to distance himself from his past conduct and show that he had changed.

Man, I am so sick of people claiming 'freedom of speech' vs 'censorship'.

Freedom of speech is NOT omission from public scrutiny for the things you say. it is not a blanket to protect you from being publically rejected for your words, it's just a way to say you can't go to jail or be legally forced to not say things. Freedom of Speech guarantees your legal right to speak, it does NOT guarantee freedom of consequences from those things you say, only from the government and from jail. 

Do some damn research.

lightningfunk said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with political correctness. The issue is that the world is evolving, we as a culture are moving forward to be more sensitive, and things that were once considered publically acceptable are now rightfully seen as inappropriate. 

I used to call stupid people retarded all the time, but I've not done that for the better part of a decade because it's a terrible thing to say and horribly offensive without any redeeming factors. There will always be off-color jokes and offensive humour (Look at Bo Burnham as one random example I've seen recently), but the humour has to be done with tact and depth. Anyone can just scream racial profanities from a building, it isn't funny on its own, there has to be context or a subversion of expectation. 

This is the same sort of logic that has people complaining that WWE is pussified now because you can't hit someone on the head with a chair. sure, the product isn't as fun to the people who like extreme violence, but the number of concussions and serious long-term effects has been greatly reduced, making the product safer. Get what I'm getting at, here? 

Alara317 said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with political correctness.

there is something wrong when it stops free speech

The issue is that the world is evolving, we as a culture are moving forward to be more sensitive, and things that were once considered publically acceptable are now rightfully seen as inappropriate. 

yes but this happens again and again in history

cultures become soft and then they break

I used to call stupid people retarded all the time,

that isn't that politically incorrect

Around the Network
lightningfunk said:
Alara317 said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with political correctness.

there is something wrong when it stops free speech

The issue is that the world is evolving, we as a culture are moving forward to be more sensitive, and things that were once considered publically acceptable are now rightfully seen as inappropriate. 

yes but this happens again and again in history

cultures become soft and then they break

I used to call stupid people retarded all the time,

that isn't that politically incorrect

Political correctness does not stop free speech. I literally just posted an explanation as to why like three posts ago in this very thread. Since reading and civics seem to be your weak point: 

"Freedom of speech is NOT omission from public scrutiny for the things you say. it is not a blanket to protect you from being publically rejected for your words, it's just a way to say you can't go to jail or be legally forced to not say things. Freedom of Speech guarantees your legal right to speak, it does NOT guarantee freedom of consequences from those things you say, only from the government and from jail. "

THAT is freedom of speech. THAT is the first amendment. All it does is protect you from going to jail for the things you say unless it's a viable threat. No wonder Americans voted trump in, they don't even understand their own laws at their most basic form. 

Alara317 said:
LordLichtenstein said:
Reading through this thread I'm really disappointed.

Please tell me, why should he not be allowed to joke about rape and paedophilia? I hear people joking about 9/11, Jews and all sorts of controversial stuff all the time. You trying to dictate what people can/can't joke about, is you being against freedom of speech. Comedy, regardless of how bad the humour, is an art form like music, painting, film etc.
James did not have to apologize in my opinion, but I'm glad he did. He realized that his words had hurt some people, and being the compassionate guy that he is he apologized. It is also my understanding that he wished to distance himself from his past conduct and show that he had changed.

Freedom of speech is NOT omission from public scrutiny for the things you say. it is not a blanket to protect you from being publically rejected for your words, it's just a way to say you can't go to jail or be legally forced to not say things. Freedom of Speech guarantees your legal right to speak, it does NOT guarantee freedom of consequences from those things you say, only from the government and from jail. 

Do some damn research.

So .. we agree? 

"You trying to dicate what people can/can't joke about, is you being against freedom of speech."
I was referring to everyone in this thread who is of the opinion, that rape and paedophilia is somehow off-limits when it comes to comedy/satire. 

Alara317 said:
lightningfunk said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with political correctness. The issue is that the world is evolving, we as a culture are moving forward to be more sensitive, and things that were once considered publically acceptable are now (1) rightfully seen as inappropriate. 

(2) I used to call stupid people retarded all the time, but I've not done that for the better part of a decade because it's a terrible thing to say and horribly offensive without any redeeming factors. There will always be off-color jokes and offensive humour (Look at Bo Burnham as one random example I've seen recently), (3) but the humour has to be done with tact and depth. Anyone can just scream racial profanities from a building, it isn't funny on its own, there has to be context or a subversion of expectation. 

This is the same sort of logic that has people complaining that WWE is pussified now because you can't hit someone on the head with a chair. sure, the product isn't as fun to the people who like extreme violence, but the number of concussions and serious long-term effects has been greatly reduced, making the product safer. Get what I'm getting at, here? 

1) I get what you are saying. But who decides what is "rightfully seen as inappropriate"?

2) Let me get this straight; You used to be insensitive and thoughtless when referring to other people, but you matured and changed your ways. Right? Should you still be held accountable. You lose your job?

3) You don't get to decide that. We all communicate differently. Some might have laughed their ass off when reading James' tweets while others obviously didn't. Humour, comedy, satire etc. is subjective. 

LordLichtenstein said:
Alara317 said:

Do some damn research.

So .. we agree? 

"You trying to dicate what people can/can't joke about, is you being against freedom of speech."
I was referring to everyone in this thread who is of the opinion, that rape and paedophilia is somehow off-limits when it comes to comedy/satire. 

No. This is the public scrutiny he was talking about. 

LordLichtenstein said:

1) I get what you are saying. But who decides what is "rightfully seen as inappropriate"?

2) Let me get this straight; You used to be insensitive and thoughtless when referring to other people, but you matured and changed your ways. Right? Should you still be held accountable. You lose your job?

3) You don't get to decide that. We all communicate differently. Some might have laughed their ass off when reading James' tweets while others obviously didn't. Humour, comedy, satire etc. is subjective. 

You DO realize I'm on Gunn's side, right? Just because I'm stating inalienable truths doesn't mean I'm against him or think his firing was justified. 

And yes, cultural norms and what is deemed appropriate or acceptable is determined by basic public perception. This is not infallible, of course, but that's the reality of how the world works. There was a time when using racial slurs towards black folks was completely normal and commonplace, but now people have collectively agreed that it's not okay and the few holdouts are crying REAL loud about their 'rights' to call people n****** or to persecute muslims. Again, public perception is NOT infallible and I do think there are better ways to dictate morality, but that's how it goes. If people think Pedophilia jokes are crossing the line and an overwhelming majority of people feel that way, then pedophilia jokes are over the line. It would take a VERY clever or well-worded joke to overcome that line and make it funny. Again, the tact and quality of a joke have to be equal to or of greater value than the offensiveness of it. 

George Carlin's jokes were quite frequently over the line but he was so good at telling them, so good at the three act structure of a joke and so pervasive that we collectively agreed that his jokes were great. He made jokes about harvesting vaginas from dead women because 'why waste a good pussy'...and nobody actually thought he valued women as little more than sex objects because the joke was so obscene and yet so well crafted that it overcame its offensiveness to become funny. 

The world has a place for offensive jokes and it always will, but in the end, it has to be as funny or as clever as it is offensive. It's just that simple; Pedophlila or rape jokes need to be immeasurably funny to overcome how offensive they are. No idea why this is up for debate.