By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is the United States really a developed country?

mekail2001 said:
The USA is definitely a developed country (coming from a Canadian). In a lot of ways such as crime rate, healthcare and education it is lagging behind other developed countries but that doesn't mean that its comparable to a developing country.
I love the US, i feel like if i had to move anywhere it would be to the US because of how similar it is to Canada. But that doesnt mean that it doesnt have its issues. I think the current government is absolutely retarded with how they are dealing with international trade and in all honestly Donald Trump pisses me off and i dont understand how over 40% of americans can support a clown like him.

I'm Canadian and feel pretty much the exact same way you do. Canada and the USA are cultural brothers there and I feel at home there.

Last edited by HomokHarcos - on 14 July 2018

Around the Network

Canada and the US are very similar. Similar problems (excluding gun related issues), similar infrastructure, quality of services etc.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Ka-pi96 said:
Jon-Erich said:

As for the crime rate, a lot of that comes with population. The US has a population of 325 million people. Japan has a population of 126 million. Canada has a population of 37 million. Then you get to the European countries, their population figures are also in the tens of millions. So it would make more sense for the US to have more crime. However, crime in the US is currently the lowest it has been in decades. There are pockets of areas with high crime rates, but that can be blamed mostly on incompetent politicians in local governments.

Crime rates are usually done in crimes per 100k people or something like that, so the population has already been accounted for and is therefore irrelevant. The US just has a lot more crime per person than other developed countries.

We've talked about this in years past, what is the big difference between the US and the countries you're comparing them to?

I know this site is based out of the UK originally, but it's always fun to see the ignorance on display from our European friends. Comparing Mississippi to the UK or France.

While densely populated, people truly forget how large the US is. California has just as many people in it as Poland and the experience there is so incredibly different from those living in other parts of the country. If you want to make an honest comparison, you have to compare the US to EU proper. There is so much difference in what states want the role of government to be that it's kinda insane to compare them. People listing gun control as an issue the US needs to tackle, whereas parts of the country are in total favor and in other states, you have people who think there are more than enough laws already on it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

It’s funny how people forget what my country has brought to the world because OUR NUMBER ONE BELIEF IS FREEDOM OF CHOICE and the right to pursuit happiness. Remember before the United States most of he people were enslaved or considered peasants under KINGS. Then my fore fathers wrote the greatest piece of paper and human advances took off.

Your ignorant thoughts on we aren’t a developed country is just wrong. And can’t belive this kind of crap is allowed here

DolPhanTendo said:
It’s funny how people forget what my country has brought to the world because OUR NUMBER ONE BELIEF IS FREEDOM OF CHOICE and the right to pursuit happiness. Remember before the United States most of he people were enslaved or considered peasants under KINGS. Then my fore fathers wrote the greatest piece of paper and human advances took off.

Your ignorant thoughts on we aren’t a developed country is just wrong. And can’t belive this kind of crap is allowed here

This post is humorous gold. Btw, when did you become French?

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Helloplite said:
Okay, since many use GDP here: GDP is also just as unreliable a marker as GINI. The latter only looks at inequality at the two extreme ends, therefore missed several important qualitative characteristics. The first (GDP) either as an aggregate or per capita, does the opposite mistake of obscuring inequality. A high GDP per capita country with a low GINI is a far fairer society than a high GDP per capita with high GINI (because in the second case, GDP per capita is a fictional number that does not represent the experience of the average citizen).

Example 1: A state with low GDP, low GINI: Consistently poor population on average, but also no major presence of elites / oligarchs. Not many states fall into this category.

Example 2: low GDP / high GINI: Many Africa states have this where GDP is low as inequality dominates. Indicates a very poor population with a number of ultra rich individuals.

Example 3: High GDP / low GINI: Most Scandinavian countries are here: Wealth abound and distributed fairly. Also probably indicates a state where there is very high taxation on the rich (also Scandinavian countries).

Example 4: High GDP / high GINI: China is the most typical example. The high GDP here is not actually indicative of the average citizen who is likely to be very poor. Most money is concentrated into few hands, and while the country as a whole is seemingly prosperous, the average citizen earns less than the stated GDP per capita.

Wait, you just said how both of those aren't very good markers, but then use them to try to make a point?

It ought to make sense to you since I didn't say what you imply here. In separate they are unreliable markers. In combination they become more helpful, although still do not provide adequate insight into qualitative characteristics. Combining metrics is always a better way for aporoximating complexity so that makes what I said sensible. They describe different things, and separately are unreliable, but combined offered I improved insights. But generally speaking, using quantitative methods to analyze society or the economy can lead to many incorrect assumptions.

Yes it is. You probably suffers a lot from first world problems and don't see it.
Also USA have 51 states and some of them aren't that well as others, and the ones that are in better position have no obligation to bleed for the others.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nem said:
DolPhanTendo said:

This post is humorous gold. Btw, when did you become French

Humorous gold??? With no explanation and then follows it up with insult, god the people on this site are pretentious 

DolPhanTendo said:
Nem said:

This post is humorous gold. Btw, when did you become French

Humorous gold??? With no explanation and then follows it up with insult, god the people on this site are pretentious 

Well... what am i to say when you make historically false statements? The hint was in the french. It was the french that revolted against kings first with the ideals of fraternity, equality and liberty. It wasn't the US and the "forefathers" and their dated document that started the ideals of liberty. It was imported.

Nem said:
DolPhanTendo said:

Well... what am i to say when you make historically false statements? The hint was in the french. It was the french that revolted against kings first with the ideals of fraternity, equality and liberty. It wasn't the US and the "forefathers" and their dated document that started the ideals of liberty. It was imported.

🤣🤣🤣 Do you even read history? The French Revolution was in 1789-1798 our independence was in 1776 sounds like your math is way off and your biases. So your dumbass statement on dated document being imported is also wrong. Only thing was imported from French was the Statue of Liberty. Get your facts straight please