By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Diabetic awareness after amputation

Eh. That's odd - and sad.

Around the Network

Mean age of 64 years and probably if not likely living unhealthy and definitely already having massive health issues before.

I know someone who has diabetes and had to have his leg amputated as a result. Unfortunately he still doesn't have the healthiest diet.

Are DM patients more prone to below knee problems?

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

dx11332sega said:
Zkuq said:
Eh. That's odd - and sad.

What I dont get why doctors don't tell Diabetics that after amupation they have so little time to live?

Because it's not necessarily a cause and effect relationship.  Factors like age, lifestyle, and overall health are massive factors.  Someone who is 70 years old with an unhealthy diet might not live nearly as long as someone who is younger and willing to change bad habits.  I would guess that the majority of people who have an amputation due to diabetic complications aren't the picture of health to begin with.

A friend of mine had a leg amputated a few years ago.  Why?  Mostly because he wouldn't give up cheap snack cakes and Mountain Dew.  His amputation is more like a symptom of his irresponsibility than the cause of his declining healthy.  

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
pokoko said:

Because it's not necessarily a cause and effect relationship.  Factors like age, lifestyle, and overall health are massive factors.  Someone who is 70 years old with an unhealthy diet might not live nearly as long as someone who is younger and willing to change bad habits.  I would guess that the majority of people who have an amputation due to diabetic complications aren't the picture of health to begin with.

A friend of mine had a leg amputated a few years ago.  Why?  Mostly because he wouldn't give up cheap snack cakes and Mountain Dew.  His amputation is more like a symptom of his irresponsibility than the cause of his declining healthy.  

What's his age? How many since amputation?

I believe he is in his 40s.  Probably been about 3 years since the amputation.  

In his case--and in most cases--amputation is but one of several factors affecting life expectancy.

"The mortality was significantly related to age and pre-amputation morbidity. The regression analysis showed that the risk of not surviving 30 days from amputation was six times higher for a patient with 4–5 co-morbidities when compared with one with 0–1. The risk of not surviving more than 1 month increased with 7% per each additional year the patient got older. The corresponding figures for 1-year survival were five times (comorbidities) and 5% per year (age)."  https://academic.oup.com/icvts/article/14/5/543/746325

I love to eat fruits.

So you're saying that patients which have such a bad diabetic problem that they have to get limbs amputated might have a shorter lifespan than others?

You learn something new every day.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
So you're saying that patients which have such a bad diabetic problem that they have to get limbs amputated might have a shorter lifespan than others?

You learn something new every day.

Condescending Vivster strikes again!

Diabetes is a lifestyle disease that's your responsibility, change to a healthier one (very little sugar, ton of exercise), move on with your life and be happy