By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - U.S. withdraws from UN Human Rights Council

I'm just gonna ask why the OP is wrong here? Everyone seems to disgree and mock her without showing or proving why they're wrong?

A good point is that the US is being isolationist. And regardless what you think of the UN (the fact that they are useless is largely down to the US btw ironically), to leave in that manner is not a good look.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

*siiiiiiighs*

I'm sure by now that we're all aware of my government's new policy of state kidnapping wherein we now rip the children of asylum seekers (most of whom are fleeing violent situations in their own countries) out of their parents' arms and simply don't give them back as penalty. You may have also heard about the revelation that said children are now being held in concentration camps (tent cities, collections of animal cages, etc.) and often subjected to physical and sexual abuse by their new, ostensible protectors. Yes, this is America. In 2018. It's hard to believe sometimes, but it really is.

Well anyway, oddly, the UN's Human Rights Council two days ago proclaimed this policy of official kidnapping "despicable " and "unconscionable". The next day (yesterday), just by coincidence, my country withdrew from the UN Human Rights Council, supposedly for other reasons. The decision also comes just a month after we pulled out of our own nuclear agreement with Iran and a year following withdrawal from the Paris Accord on climate change by the same administration, thus continuing a general theme of isolationism that our new border policy in question also expresses. (Further details can be found here.)

Not a worrying sign at all, is it?

I've been hearing different stories about these places where the children are being held. Some call them concentration camps while some images and videos have been floating around that shows what looks like a daycare center or even a summer camp. Also, the parents of these children have no documentation proving they are indeed the parents. Of course they're not going to have documentation if they're coming to the US illegally. The reason why that is a big deal is because a lot of children from Mexico and South America who are brought into the US illegally are victims of child sex trafficking. It is a terrible situation and it could have been avoided decades ago if the drug war had ended and the cartels had gone out of business. This would have meant less crime and fewer people crossing the border. Of course there the talk of building the wall, but that is like putting a bandaid on an infection.

As for the UN, I don't care. The UN is a joke. They're full of scandals of their own. They put countries like Saudi Arabia on a council for women's rights. They can't even do the very job they were created to do. They don't actually prevent wars from happening. In my opinion, the US should stop founding the organization altogether.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

melbye said:
They are illegally entering the United States, they are criminals and therefore jailed. Enter the United States as legal immigrants and the children won't be taken away. And UN's Human Rights Council is a joke

What are refugees in your opinion?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
melbye said:
They are illegally entering the United States, they are criminals and therefore jailed. Enter the United States as legal immigrants and the children won't be taken away. And UN's Human Rights Council is a joke

By definition, a refugee is a displaced person who has been forced to cross national boundaries and who cannot return home safely. Given that there are not any active wars going on south of the border, most people crossing the US border illegally would be considered economic migrants. There are people who may have been directly affected by the drug war. Maybe the gangs and cartels are after them, but in most cases, the people crossing are economic migrants. 

Last edited by Jon-Erich - on 20 June 2018

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

You know the reason why they can rip children from their parents and keep them in concetration camps? Because the US never ratified the conventions of the rights of the child, despite signing it. Over 30 years ago.

No one thought: Hey, childrens rights should be something we should universally implement in over thirty years in the US. Makes you wonder what kind of fucked up priorities are being followed if people can't even agree on protecting children.

Around the Network
melbye said:

What about the internet robs people of their humanity.  Practically, if you are  actually thinking about cost, there is no reason to take on the task of ward for all of these children.  Lol, I'm sure if they started shooting the kids people would still support it.  There are a few things people need to realize:

1. People will NEVER stop trying to make a better life for themselves and their children.  They come here because they need help.

2. People would not leave their homes with kids to cross into another freaking country without reason.  They come here because they need help.

3. If we don't actually actively attack the real cause, it will never stop.  This has more to do with Mexico than ourselves, but if we want it to stop this is what we need to do. 

When I was a young child I was homeless with my family.  We needed help.  Separating me from my mother would not have helped.  We needed real help not your indignation. 

vivster said:
melbye said:

Legal refugees or legal asylum claimers are not separated (the US took in 40K refugees in 2016). Illegal migrants, human traffickers and criminal aliens are.

Jon-Erich said: As for the UN, I don't care. The UN is a joke. They're full of scandals of their own. They put countries like Saudi Arabia on a council for women's rights. They can't even do the very job they were created to do. They don't actually prevent wars from happening. In my opinion, the US should stop founding the organization altogether.

You know why the UN isn't working ? Because it isn't a "world government", they can only suggest to do things but can't force it, because it isn't the main purpose of the UN. And the USA is one of the first countries which don't give a crap about the UN.

Now while the UN Human Rights Council has some questionable members (like DR Congo for example), it is quite a bad decision to leave as it does not do the US any favors.

If someone is interested in actual facts, the exit from the UNHRC came because of their Anti-Israel policies, announced a year ago:

The Trump administration withdrew from the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday, making good on a pledge to leave a body it accused of hypocrisy and bias against Israel.

“For too long, the Human Rights Council has been a protector of human rights abusers, and a cesspool of political bias,” Nikki Haley, the American ambassador to the UN, said Tuesday at the State Department in Washington. She said the decision was an affirmation of U.S. respect for human rights, a commitment that “does not allow us to remain a part of a hypocritical and self-serving organization that makes a mockery of human rights.”

Haley warned a year ago that the U.S. would pull out if the council didn’t address what she saw as its bias toward Israel and the fact that many of its current members -- they include China, Saudi Arabia and Egypt -- have poor human rights records themselves.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-19/trump-is-said-ready-to-pull-u-s-from-un-s-human-rights-council