By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's Talk About Sony's New "Secret" San Diego Studio.

Earlier this year it was reported that Sony was building a new, yet secret, first-party studio in San Diego. Shortly after rumours began circulating that the studio would take over the much beloved and highly critically acclaimed Uncharted franchise, leaving Naughty Dog only to worry about The Last of Us - Part II. On May 30th, Quentin Cobb, former Game Designer at Naughty, added to the speculation when he announced on his twitter he had had his first day working as a Senior Game Designer for a secret Sony owned studio.

And it got me thinking, what if the rumours were true - what if they actually are working on another Uncharted game. I immediately began speculating for myself about who they could potentially hire, and I think I came up with some interesting names;

1) Christophe Balestra, former Naughty Dog Co-President.
2) Bruce Straley, former Naughty Dog Game Director.
3) Amy Hennig, former Naughty Dog Creative Director & Lead Writer.

What do you think? Would you like another studio to take over the Uncharted franchise, and how would you feel if all 3 decided to join the project?

Around the Network

How is it still a secret, do you/they/or us know what secret means???

What's there to talk about? New studio being built to take over uncharted, not much else to say. I hope they aren't built solely for the purpose of making uncharted games though.

Its not really a new studio though. If they moving key people that worked on Uncharted then it is the same but rebadged. They could have just hired more people at Naughty Dog and worked on two games at once.

Different smell same shit kind of scenario.

Now if it was brand new people that were given the reigns to work on Uncharted who knows how that would go.

So essentially nothing really worth talking about as the game will turn out great as there is no risks here.

Uncharted was my favorite series for 1-3. Tho Uncharted 4 was an excellent game, I still felt some fatigue from the same basic Uncharted formula. Then I was darn near bored for most of Uncharted TLL. If Sony is going to continue Uncharted, I just really hope that they give Uncharted a major positive transformation.

I also hope they plan to open at least one other AAA studio in addition to this one.

Around the Network

IMHO, why create a new studio to focus on uncharted? I mean, why dispose of "naughty dog logo" that sell games alone and replace it whit the logo of another studio? Just create a internal team for uncharted, give uncharted a nice 5 years rest and make a new Uncharted.

Make a new uncharted on WW II era. Some elderich horror from lovecraft, "nazi like organization" working whit elderich forces and more things from Indiana jones movies. Uncharted just need a small rest, great things can be done whit uncharted.

its probably not a new studio and rather just expanding the san diego studio.

btw am the one that found out about it and posted it on reddit. 

It would be great if they got Amy into a potencially new Uncharted studio. It would actually be perfect.

Last edited by Nem - on 06 June 2018