By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bloodborne vs. Dark Souls 3 for a beginner

Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 for a Souls-newbie?

Bloodborne 22 66.67%

Dark Souls 3 10 30.30%

Both equally 1 3.03%

Total:33
trasharmdsister12 said:

I was in a very similar situation to you a couple of years back when Bloodborne came out. Of course, at the time Dark Souls 3 hadn't been released but I wanted to get into the Souls-like genre. So I bought Bloodborne for $15 a couple of months after it launched. And I enjoyed the setting and Gothic styling to it a great deal. The gameplay took some getting used to as my first Souls game but I got the hang of it and enjoyed exploring the world for the opening of the game. Then it happened...

I hit Father Gascoigne. And this wall was a wall I have never gotten passed. I've made more than 100 attempts. My play time in the game is well over 25 hours and I'm just stuck. I put the game on the backburner and planned on going back to it another day.

This year I got Dark Souls 3 in January. I'll say this - the difficulty of Dark Souls 3 is set a lot more immediately. The first boss and mini boss are all experienced within the first half hour of play. But it's a difficulty that scales much better with both character progression and gamer skill progression. I managed to work my way through all of Dark Souls 3 and even beat all the optional bosses in the base game. It was an amazing experience.

After having accomplished that I recently went back to Bloodborne for a couple of 3 hour stints of getting beaten by Father Gascoigne time and time again and have put the game on the backburner yet again.

But that's just my experience. A lot of what people have said about your play style with games does matter and I'm always a more defensive and methodical player vs someone who can react in the moment well.

Did you find the music box? If you talk to the little girl and get the music box, you can use that to stun him and get a few combos in on him (Two while human, one while transformed). In addition, I recommend running up the stairs when he becomes a werewolf to make him follow you and get some hits while he's still climbing the stairs. After, keep running and going down over the little shed, and repeat the process. As long as you have the upper ground (anakin), you can get a few good hits in. 

He really is an intense first real boss,  and exactly why I tend to recommend Dark Souls for beginners. If you're not outstanding at bloodborne, Father Gascoine is going to put an end to your session every time. 

Even now, after beating the game a dozen times and getting the platinum, I still find him one of the hardest bosses in the game. 

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:

I did find the music box that stuns him. I even cheese the first half of the fight using the gravestones and whip. For whatever reason when I fight him I can't seem to dodge when he jumps way up into the air and lands on me in beast form. He ALWAYS lands on me no matter what I seem to do. From that point on he just has me stun locked for multiple combos where my character is still trying to get up. I don't know if there's a lag in my display that doesn't register my input quick enough or what but I've just been unable to stave off his attacks once he transforms. 

I even went back after mastering a few of the more difficult bosses in Dark Souls 3 through the coop summoning and Gasciogne still wrecks me.

WHIP? There is your first problem. Like I said in my previous comment, dodging away and running doesnt really work well in Bloodborne(with a few exceptions). You will be much better off by dodging to the side or behind the boss while he does a combo attack. For father G the easiest way to kill him is to learn how to parry with a gun, when he transforms it becomes even easier to parry him and you can just kill him after 3 or 4 visceral attacks.

Azuren said:
My theory is Bloodborne was made to be difficult, but more difficult for Souls vets than anyone else by forcing them out of their comfort zone (which is usually behind a shield). New players will be more at home with the frenetic dodge-heavy gameplay of Bloodborne than those used to Dark Souls' block and poke style.

This is exactly how it went down for me.  Found Bloodborne quite difficult to get used to because I'd already been playing DeS, DS1, and DS2 at that point.  I can switch between them pretty easily now, but when it first came out, it was very tough.

trasharmdsister12 said:

Alara317 said: 

Did you find the music box? If you talk to the little girl and get the music box, you can use that to stun him and get a few combos in on him (Two while human, one while transformed). In addition, I recommend running up the stairs when he becomes a werewolf to make him follow you and get some hits while he's still climbing the stairs. After, keep running and going down over the little shed, and repeat the process. As long as you have the upper ground (anakin), you can get a few good hits in. 

He really is an intense first real boss,  and exactly why I tend to recommend Dark Souls for beginners. If you're not outstanding at bloodborne, Father Gascoine is going to put an end to your session every time. 

Even now, after beating the game a dozen times and getting the platinum, I still find him one of the hardest bosses in the game. 

I did find the music box that stuns him. I even cheese the first half of the fight using the gravestones and whip. For whatever reason when I fight him I can't seem to dodge when he jumps way up into the air and lands on me in beast form. He ALWAYS lands on me no matter what I seem to do. From that point on he just has me stun locked for multiple combos where my character is still trying to get up. I don't know if there's a lag in my display that doesn't register my input quick enough or what but I've just been unable to stave off his attacks once he transforms. 

I even went back after mastering a few of the more difficult bosses in Dark Souls 3 through the coop summoning and Gasciogne still wrecks me.

BB is more aggressive when it comes to dealing with combat you were fine in DS because the series is more geared towards defence, the whip is not really ideal for the boss I found the Saw Cleaver to be the best weapon in the game tbh, fight him on the stairs as its easier to read his movement and the are less obstacles as well as it boxing him in a controlled area if you have Molotovs use them as they work well in this fight learning to parry  is a big help in the first phase of the fight.

I don't get the answers in here.

Out of Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodborne, Nioh and Dark Souls 3 (all base games), Bloodborne was by far the easiest.

Maybe because I play aggressive style in every game, so Bloodborne naturally made it easier. Dark Souls 3 definitely has more natural progression, but the bosses are much harder. In fact the difficulty I had with Bloodborne was when I stumbled upon the wrong zone at a really low level and rammed my head face first into the regular enemies one shotting me over and over again, but the bosses are chumps.

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:

I was in a very similar situation to you a couple of years back when Bloodborne came out. Of course, at the time Dark Souls 3 hadn't been released but I wanted to get into the Souls-like genre. So I bought Bloodborne for $15 a couple of months after it launched. And I enjoyed the setting and Gothic styling to it a great deal. The gameplay took some getting used to as my first Souls game but I got the hang of it and enjoyed exploring the world for the opening of the game. Then it happened...

I hit Father Gascoigne. And this wall was a wall I have never gotten passed. I've made more than 100 attempts. My play time in the game is well over 25 hours and I'm just stuck. I put the game on the backburner and planned on going back to it another day.

This year I got Dark Souls 3 in January. I'll say this - the difficulty of Dark Souls 3 is set a lot more immediately. The first boss and mini boss are all experienced within the first half hour of play. But it's a difficulty that scales much better with both character progression and gamer skill progression. I managed to work my way through all of Dark Souls 3 and even beat all the optional bosses in the base game. It was an amazing experience.

After having accomplished that I recently went back to Bloodborne for a couple of 3 hour stints of getting beaten by Father Gascoigne time and time again and have put the game on the backburner yet again.

But that's just my experience. A lot of what people have said about your play style with games does matter and I'm always a more defensive and methodical player vs someone who can react in the moment well.

Quite fascinating indeed.

As an aggressive playstyle type of person, I beat Father Gascoigne on the first try. Nameless King on the other hand was almost impossible for me to kill solo. If I tried 100 times then I win maybe 1/100 with my 2h axe.

Wyrdness said:
freebs2 said:
Dark Souls Remaster if you've never tried the game is the right awnser.
Actually I would recommend Demon to start but it's only on Ps3.

People keep saying DS1 but it's the hardest game in the series it might put a beginner off especially as the structure is less straight forward than the other games.

Imo Dark Souls 3 is harder in than DS 1, while I agree DS 1 is less straightforward. Plus for a beginner of new series I would recommend to start with the best titles, that way its easier to establish if the series is good for them or not. Unless there's a linear narrative between them but that's not the case the DS.

Both are great games and I little prefer DS3 little more, but BB is game that introduce me DS games, so I would say that its better you go with BB first.

Get the original Dark Souls.

Bloodborne is very different then a typical souls game. It rewards being aggressive, while DS rewards being patient. 

I'm actually kinda shocked that so many people are saying bloodborne is the better entry point for the 'series'.

Father Gascoigne.

That's really all I need to say He is such a potent road block so early on (Could end up being your first boss if you someone don't meet the Cleric Beast), and he remains one of the hardest in the entire game. Nay, franchise. Bloodborne is far less forgiving than Dark Souls III, and that's a perfect way to show that.

I still think Bloodborne is the best overall, as it demands the most out of me and is the only one I feel I haven't mastered even after a dozen full playthroughs, but that's exactly why I don't think it's the better entry point over Dark Souls III, which I found to be far more forgiving.

I played them in this order:

1 - Demon's Souls (Got about 1/3 through it then had to move on, I hadn't yet got gud)
2 - Bloodborne (Beat it multiple times, got the platinum trophy)
3 - Dark Souls II: Scholar of the first Sin (Hated it, made it about an hour in and gave up)
4 - Dark Souls III (loved it, beat it multiple times, got Platinum on it)
5 - Dark Souls (Beat it, but didn't care for it much; hated half, loved the other half)

So I had a peculiar journey with the souls series. I didn't have any of that nostalgia tainting my opinion of II by comparing it to I or III so my distaste for it was pure. Dark Souls II was my first entry into the series and it almost made me say no to Dark Souls entirely, but then I played 3 and loved it, and I played I and thought it was okay. Then, after Dark souls Remastered came out I played THAT and fell in love with it. Went so far as to get the Platinum trophy on it, which felt great. I put it just one point below Dark Souls III (which is still my favorite, barring Bloodborne.)

So yeah, even without bias, and after trying to play Dark Souls II multiple times (after I beat bloodborne but before I got the Bloodborne platinum, again after I got the platinum and before I played III, after I beat III but before I got the platinum, and again after getting the platinum on III and beating I for the first time), which tells me it's just not good enough. Dark Souls is iconic, memorable, and well designed for the most part but it shows its age by being clunky and possessing some terrible bosses (Bed of Chaos, Capra Demon), while III is basically I but with polish and nary a bad boss in the entire game.

But I'm rambling.

Bloodborne is my favorite getting a 9.7/10, but I wouldn't say it was the best for a beginner.
Dark Souls III is my second favourite, getting a 9.5/10, and I'd say that it's the most approachable of the whole franchise
Dark Souls I is my third favorite, getting a 9.4/10 and I'd say it's wonderful but not the most newbie/user friendly

Demon's Souls is nice but it shows its age
Dark Souls II misses the mark and feels bad to play and lacks so much of the iconic stuff from I or the refinement from III.

My vote still goes to III for your first game, then go back to I and then Bloodborne. Those three are all masterpieces. Avoid II at all costs, and I can't really recommend Demon's Souls, even though it's a good game.