Game closed: 05/11/2019

Denmark 1-0 Australia
France 2-1 Peru
Argentina 2-1 Croatia

Around the Network

Denmark 2 x 1 Australia
France 2 x 0 Peru
Argentina 2 x 1 Croatia

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

It’s a shame I didn’t catch the prediction league before it started. I haven’t filled the option to choose who advances, so I’m losing lots of points. :c

Anyway, tomorrow should be an interesting day. We will get to see more from France, and Argentina will have to win, otherwise they’ll be in a very bad position. I wonder how changing 2/3 of the team from one match to another will pay out for them. It’s certainly a very bold move and anything can happen.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Denmark 2 - 1 Australia
France 1 - 0 Peru
Argentina 3 - 1 Croatia

Hmm, pie.

I would love to see Peru and Austraia winning tomorrow, and I kinda want Argentina to win just so Messi doesn't go home earlier than anticipated and we can hopefully see some magic from him.

Around the Network

Denmark 1 - 1 Australia
France 2 - 0 Peru
Argentina 3 - 2 Croatia

RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:

With there being 2 European teams in most groups though luck does go further for them. When you've got 2 chances then you'd expect at least 1 to get through in most groups and that's the 50% done.

If you were to have say 2 African teams per group instead then I fully expect a higher % of African teams would get through to the knockout stage, not as high a % as European teams since there is still a clear quality gap with the majority of the favourites being European, but still a higher % than they'll manage as it stands.

I have to disagree. European teams go through more often because they are better than teams from other continents. That's the same reason why South American teams reach the round of 16 more often than other continents despite a similar number of teams in the tournament.

If there were two African teams per group, you'd have a much lower average quality for African teams. As it is now (32 teams at the World Cup, 5 from Africa), you'd probably find it a reasonable expectation that 2/5 African teams, so 40%, make it to the round of 16. If there were 16 African teams, you'd limit the number of spots for Europe and South America, but Europe's and South America's top teams would still be there, so 6/16 African teams going through would be a reasonable expectation because almost every group would have 1 or 2 teams from Europe and South America that qualify (plus Mexico); after all, if you have 16 African teams, you are bound to have some weak ones at the tournament and you know that Africa's top teams already have trouble to prevail. 6/16 is 38.5%.

Get it? The percentage metric is a fair one. The more teams a confederation has, the more teams will have to reach the round of 16 to get the percentage to a satisfactory level. The UEFA club and country rankings work similarly; countries who have only a couple of teams in Champions League and Europa League can work their way up in the rankings quickly, because they only need one or two successful clubs whereas the big nations need a few clubs do well every year to maintain their position. Having more Austrian clubs play in Europe would be detrimental for Austria's ranking, rather than beneficial like your argument implies. That's why the low number of African teams at the World Cup isn't a disadvantage. After all, the low number has never been a disadvantage for South America.

My problem is that teams from outside of Europe and South America are held to a higher standard. For example when the USA made it out of their group in 2002, 2010 and 2014 you still had many people arguing that they didn't deserve to be there and to get rid off CONCACAF spots. Also when Iceland play for a draw against Argentina and get it people will applaud but when Iran was playing for a draw against Spain (before they conceded) people were saying they shouldn't be there.

Last edited by HomokHarcos - on 21 June 2018

Where can my arm go? Another bad decision, The Danish defender had no chance of not handling the ball. Yellow card too. At least it was not a red card.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 21 June 2018

Ka-pi96 said:
What's with this trend of teams scoring the 1st goal and then just giving up on getting anymore?
I'm glad Denmark were punished for it though, hope that happens more often!

It's just too hot to play for that long in Russia. Better to score, and then rest .

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

1-1, yes!