By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My very mixed reactions to the Pokemon announcements

Yerm said:
Bristow9091 said:
Can't say I'm a fan of Quest, at least not the LOOK of it anyway, too squared/cubey, as if they're trying to appeal to Minecraft fans on style alone, lol. However, I do think the Let's Go games look interesting and something I'll be looking at in the future... overall pretty decent, two spin off games to tide people over until the mainline game launches next year, that's not too shabby if you ask me :P

after actually getting to play it, i am disappointed as well. its just a mobile game that they soft-launched on the Switch. there are not even dedicated console controls. you use the left stick to move a cursor and the A button to press on-screen buttons in an attempt to replicate a touch screen. the gameplay is limited and uninteresting at best. 

You can use the shoulder buttons to select Pokemon and the x & y buttons to select a move. I think the game is semi-decent, but not good enough to outweigh the inconvenience of pay to play and forced grinding.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
I was entirely all for the Lets Go games...until I found out that you can't battle wild pokemon and gain experience that way. But I'm still getting the game, I guess it's something I can live with as long as the game is well paced overall. Who knows, maybe this is a choice I won't be able to live without when it's all said and done.

Wait... you're upset that the game ISN'T about grinding? What?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Ljink96 said:
I was entirely all for the Lets Go games...until I found out that you can't battle wild pokemon and gain experience that way. But I'm still getting the game, I guess it's something I can live with as long as the game is well paced overall. Who knows, maybe this is a choice I won't be able to live without when it's all said and done.

Well, I also said I'll be okay if the game is well paced. And being a classic JRPG fan, Grinding doesn't bother me much. To me, it's rewarding but to others it can be seen as a hindrance. I am fine either way. Hell, I played Pokemon Colosseum and it didn't have wild Pokemon matches, so I guess initially I overreacted but yeah, I'll take it either way.

Jumpin said:
Ljink96 said:

So many want the leveling up, grinding, ect.

Wouldn't it be great if there was no leveling up involves. Essentially the whole game every pokemon is lvl 50. Then the game becomes completely about strategy. You know type matching, ect.

The only progression your pokemon makes is by finding and learning new moves. Your pokemon evolves based on # of battles and friendship formula of some sort.

That would be great imo. Then no matter where you are in the pokemon world you can be fighting a tough battle if you don't match up well.