By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Won April NPD ( PS4 > NSW > XBO)

JRPGfan said:

From the ResetEra thread:

"While we are specifically talking about the US. The bigger news for me is the US market now accounts for ~70% of Xbox’s worldwide sales. That puts them at under 200k worldwide for the month of April.

The US accounts for around 35% of PS4’s worldwide market. So that puts PS4’s worldwide sales for April around 1m. Of course, it’s an exceptional month with God of War’s launch, but it’s clear Microsoft need greater efforts outside their hone market. "
- Apex88

Is this true?

Is PS4 going to 5 to 1, the Xbox WorldWide this month?

It looks like that person got that percentage from dividing XB1's NPD LTD numbers by the quantity of EA's install base estimate minus Sony's PS4 sell-through numbers. It's already established that subtracting the PS4's sell-through numbers from EA's estimate is not an accurate way of finding out the XB1's WW sales. Last time I checked, the US made out around 60% of the XB1's total sales. A jump from 60% to 70% is hard to believe, in my opinion.

Around the Network

Thats what i call GOW mode.

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:

If your memory can't buffer the sales of the 3 systems while looking for several people then you have an issue.

Feeling compelled to fling out unnecessary personal attacks out of the blue over this indicates having no issues I guess?
Though unless you have a PHD in neuroscience, you'll have to forgive me for not taking your expertise to heart.

Either way, even if you somehow remember the sales numbers for each console down to the last digit and that never gets blurry for a moment while looking at dozens of similar numbers mashed together in a bracket, you still have to look at both the percentage and the person's predictions to figure out if they were over or under. And in case you for a moment don't remember if PS4 sold 654 units or 652, and how it stacks up to someone's prediction of 653 (Crazy, I know. Would never happen. Unless you have issues.) you may have to look at all three fields depending on where you start.

With a + or - in front of the percentage, it would be enough to only look at the percentage portion to get an idea of how much they over or underestimated sales.
I'd rather start at that end, and then look at their prediction if something catches my eye. I wouldn't even need to look at or memorize the actual sales numbers then.

Seems like you took a joke quite hard.

You don't need to remember all the digits to know if it is a + or - ... since most are over 10% wrong you putting PS4/X1/Switch to some nearing like 25 to 25 interval rounding (like consider PS4 325k Switch 175k X1 125k) and looking at whatever the predictioner have put you will now if it's over or under.

If you want to only look at the percentage and call it a day just look at the sum of the percentages from the prediktor to see if he was to much off the mark.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Aura7541 said:
JRPGfan said:

From the ResetEra thread:

"While we are specifically talking about the US. The bigger news for me is the US market now accounts for ~70% of Xbox’s worldwide sales. That puts them at under 200k worldwide for the month of April.

The US accounts for around 35% of PS4’s worldwide market. So that puts PS4’s worldwide sales for April around 1m. Of course, it’s an exceptional month with God of War’s launch, but it’s clear Microsoft need greater efforts outside their hone market. "
- Apex88

Is this true?

Is PS4 going to 5 to 1, the Xbox WorldWide this month?

It looks like that person got that percentage from dividing XB1's NPD LTD numbers by the quantity of EA's install base estimate minus Sony's PS4 sell-through numbers. It's already established that subtracting the PS4's sell-through numbers from EA's estimate is not an accurate way of finding out the XB1's WW sales. Last time I checked, the US made out around 60% of the XB1's total sales. A jump from 60% to 70% is hard to believe, in my opinion.

Last time we had reliable MS numbers were near the 10M, so a shift from 60 to 70% on a period that X1 have been continualy underperformed WW but held close on USA makes it possible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

gemini_d@rk said:

I think many guys want to Switch sell and cover PS4 sales as a measure of success and this is a mistake as they are consoles with proposals and very different public. At the moment guys, the Switch has to at least be equal to the 3ds + wii u sales, since it has united its two fronts, to become a success. This is the current target market for nintendo, not the market that sony achieves.
If Switch already sells more than 3ds monthly, there is a bright future.

Switch from launch is selling with profit while Wii U and 3DS were selling with loss for quite time after launch, not to mention that Switch has better attach rate than Wii U and 3DS, and has less expenses for things like marketing and game development with one platform. In other words, Nintendo is making curently more profit than they did with 3DS and Wii U combined in same time period. And yes, WW Switch is selling more than 3DS for same time period.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Aura7541 said:

Last time we had reliable MS numbers were near the 10M, so a shift from 60 to 70% on a period that X1 have been continualy underperformed WW but held close on USA makes it possible.

Zhuge has the XB1's total sales at around 35m by the end of last year, which means the US takes up about 60% of sales. It is likely that over the course of Q1 CY2018, the percentage went up because IIRC, XB1 sales were up YOY by 15% though in the US, the YOY increase was greater in the same time period. But 60% to 70%? That's a big stretch.

Miyamotoo said:
gemini_d@rk said:

I think many guys want to Switch sell and cover PS4 sales as a measure of success and this is a mistake as they are consoles with proposals and very different public. At the moment guys, the Switch has to at least be equal to the 3ds + wii u sales, since it has united its two fronts, to become a success. This is the current target market for nintendo, not the market that sony achieves.
If Switch already sells more than 3ds monthly, there is a bright future.

Switch from launch is selling with profit while Wii U and 3DS were selling with loss for quite time after launch, not to mention that Switch has better attach rate than Wii U and 3DS, and has less expenses for things like marketing and game development with one platform. In other words, Nintendo is making curently more profit than they did with 3DS and Wii U combined in same time period. And yes, WW Switch is selling more than 3DS for same time period.

No doubt about it switch is a huge success for nintendo, even they only sell 60 million, those software sales are something else.

Last edited by quickrick - on 18 May 2018

Pinkie_pie said:
How is nintendo expecting to sell 20m switch this year when it's not gonna outsell ps4 and Sony is expecting 16m this year?

Pokemon.

Megiddo said:

God of War, Spider-man, Kingdom Hearts 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, COD BLOPS IV

Sony is going to blow 16 mil right out of the park.

Was CoD Blops 4 confirmed Sony marketing?

Hiku said:
Aura7541 said:

Any idea how EA determine the install base? If one person buys a PS4 Slim and then a PS4 Pro, does that count as 1 or 2 units to them?

There are two possible scenarios. Zhuge mentioned that EA has left out Japanese sales in the past. If you subtract the PS4's sell-through sans Japan sales from EA's estimate, then the XB1's sales is close to 35m.

Or EA is actually trying to estimate the actual number of systems in homes. IIRC, Sony mentioned that about 50% of the Pro's sales are upgrade purchases, meaning only half of the Pro's sales add to the install base.