By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Won April NPD ( PS4 > NSW > XBO)

Nautilus said:
quickrick said:

I thought DK was a may release.

It was a early May release, if im not mistaken.And by the looks of it, NPD got the initial sales of that game.

"Top sellers were God of War, Far Cry 5, Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze."

First 2 days of sales were included in April NPD

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
quickrick said:

That should a huge system seller on switch imo, first great 2d platformer on the system. switch should get a boost in may i think from DK.

Its going to push some units, but I personally think its going to be as big as Kirby in terms of convincing people to jump abord.TF is a better game than Kirby, but its still a port, and a significant number of people already played the game, and it dosent have the impact a new game has.

on wiiu it flopped. It will sell 3x as much on switch imo, its the perfect game for a handheld.

quickrick said:
Nautilus said:

Its going to push some units, but I personally think its going to be as big as Kirby in terms of convincing people to jump abord.TF is a better game than Kirby, but its still a port, and a significant number of people already played the game, and it dosent have the impact a new game has.

on wiiu it flopped. It will sell 3x as much on switch imo, its the perfect game for a handheld.

Oh thats certainly possible, even though saying the Wii U version flopped is simply false.But I do agree it didnt reach its potential.

All I meant it is that this game will sell more to current owners of a Switch rather than convince people to buy a Switch because of it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

zorg1000 said:
Nautilus said:

It was a early May release, if im not mistaken.And by the looks of it, NPD got the initial sales of that game.

"Top sellers were God of War, Far Cry 5, Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze."

First 2 days of sales were included in April NPD

Oh ok, thanks!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:
quickrick said:

Oh thats certainly possible, even though saying the Wii U version flopped is simply false.But I do agree it didnt reach its potential.

All I meant it is that this game will sell more to current owners of a Switch rather than convince people to buy a Switch because of it.

For a franchise as big as DK and for what it sold on wii, I would consider 1-1.5 million LTD a flop.

Around the Network
Green098 said:
Pinkie_pie said:
How is nintendo expecting to sell 20m switch this year when it's not gonna outsell ps4 and Sony is expecting 16m this year?

With games presumably. 

They will need serious improvement on the numbers to reach it. But it surely is doable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hiku said:
kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Yeah, I don't think it'll be great. The Labo box is almost as big as PS4 box that will need more space in retail stores by november.

Yeah the size of the Labo boxes is an interesting point.

If retailers overstocked on it, they're not going to want them taking up that much space in place of other products. Perhaps we'll see a price cut soon?

CosmicSex said:

I think this is the first time I actually won lol!

What does the % indicate?

jonathanalis said:
Nintendo readjusted 2017 switch shipments forecast from 10, to 14, then to 15. Seems Nintendo is being conservative in their forecasts.
But is very hard to see these 20 million...
This pokemon game might be a huge system seller, and Nintendo might be planning other huge things or deals.

Switch was also a new never tried before type of system coming off a colossal failure (WiiU), so Nintendo would probably want to be conservative at that point. Especially after what happened in 2014 where they slashed their sales forecast by ~75%. It's better to underestimate sales than over estimate them.

We're just one month into the fiscal year so I don't know about hitting 20m one way or another. But it doesn't look like Switch will commonly do fantastic numbers on months where it doesn't have quality software.
This year looks to be the first big test for Switch's software output.

% away from actual number so if anyone had predicted 326k for ps4 theybwould have gotten 0%

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

quickrick said:
Nautilus said:

For a franchise as big as DK and for what it sold on wii, I would consider 1-1.5 million LTD a flop.

I dont think you are in the majority, but I think we can all agree that it should have sold more.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
quickrick said:

I don't see  sell through at 17.5 million as possible. if they sell 17.5 million, 2.5 million isn't all that much. i think sell through will be around 14 million. 

So you emerge from the abyss? You've been mighty quiet until today...

I thought the same thing myself. Curious this is theoment he pops back up 😉

I didn't expect Switch to "lose momentum" this much. It's going to be interesting to see whether new games will bounce it back.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game