By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A motion controller for the PS3 ?

Pakidan, I think you've misinterpreted what Sony is trying to do.

MS and Sony are not trying to capture a meaningful part of the motion control market with these new devices. Sure, they wouldn't mind if every casual gamer decided that motion controlled games were much, much better in HD, but they don't think it's likely to happen.

This is just about building the brand. Remember the original XBox? MS didn't think for a minute that they would steal the console gaming market from Sony. The point was to lay the groundwork for a more serious attempt - the 360.

Consider the position that Sony (and MS) would be in at the start of the next generation if they didn't do something now. The Wii is enjoying PS1-level success (relative to the total size of the market) and the Wii 2 would be poised to enjoy PS2-level dominance. People who bought into the Wii would have absolutely no reason to think twice about the PS4 or XB3 - they're just the successors to systems that held absolutely no interest for them.

By building motion control mindshare now, they can credibly offer a Wii2-like experience in the next generation. They're not really advertising to new customers - they're advertising to people who already own the Wii. They're saying "please consider us next time". I think most everyone here is familiar with the way the industry works, or at least with the maelstrom articles on gaming. Sony and MS know very well that continuing to retreat to more and more hardcore territory as the Wii creeps up from the casual side of things is ultimately self-defeating. If they want to stay in this for the long haul, they've got to compete now.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
I said it once and I'll say it again: Most games are poor enough when made for the Wii and it's controls, I can't imagine how useless this will be while an afterthought for developpers.

its a matter of how its used, I like how in resistance you shake your enemies off of you when the grapple. thats good use for the motion

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

please dont do this sony.

OMG, if these rumors are true, MS and Sony are both stupid. It would be such a better idea to implement something like a wiimote with their next consoles that try to force fit it in the current ones.

If they do now, they will both fail and then probably not do it next gen because they failed now. Whereas if they waited, they could insure it is designed specifically for the console, like the wiimote, and thus have a much higher possibility of being a success.

Transforming configurations doesn't sound like the Wiimote at all. Reminds me more of the DS than anything. Ladies and gentlemen, Sony's next controller will be a touch-screen enabled PSP! You heard it here first!

I'm not a hardcore gamer.  I'm not a casual gamer.  I'm a gamer.

Around the Network

Reckon they would include it with the system's purchase?

If this rumour gains weight I may have to further delay my PS3 purchase.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

SpartanFX said:
MANUELF said:
dsoverpsp said:
what's with everybody now copying the Wiimote?
Because the Wiimote is better than HD graphics

but according to thnis source it has different fucntionality than wiimote

i wanna know what this means?

"it is transforming controller that  has  multiple configurations"

Maybe a controller that has 3 or 4 parts, and they can be connected/disconnected depending on how complicated the controls are for the game?

libellule said:
Sixaxis is broken
Nobody use it because no game use it correctly, except for warhawk, Rachet and Uncharted.

I m not even sure all the PS3 users know the capcity of the controller since a lot of games dont use it.

Fixed.

for god's sake..... that's all very stupid!! (what Sony/Microsoft do)

btw, i can remember some fanboys saying: "wii is for kids, the controller is stupid and annoying" and things like that.....

hard-cores don't care about it, it's casual that they like it, but ps3/xbox360 has no games for casuals........so there's no point!!Wii has already attracted the audience, not to mention that this is an add-on, if it is not in bundle with ps3, it won't reach far....

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Please, please!!!! don't do this.

Console gaming is ruined if everything has to be Wii motes.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!