Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Darrell Gallagher joins Microsft Studios executive leadership team

mizzou_guy said:
All of those Tomb Raider credits. This couldn't possibly lead to MS making Tomb Raider a permanent exclusive, could it?

More likely they'd put him in charge of a new studio that's working on the rumored new Perfect Dark. MS has spoken in the past of rebooting Perfect Dark in the style of the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot, in other words 3rd person action-adventure-stealth with a heavy cinematic focus, and this guy was head of Crystal Dynamics while the Tomb Raider reboot was in development, he's perfect for heading up the new Perfect Dark. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
mizzou_guy said:
All of those Tomb Raider credits. This couldn't possibly lead to MS making Tomb Raider a permanent exclusive, could it?

More likely they'd put him in charge of a new studio that's working on the rumored new Perfect Dark. MS has spoken in the past of rebooting Perfect Dark in the style of the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot, in other words 3rd person action-adventure-stealth with a heavy cinematic focus, and this guy was head of Crystal Dynamics while the Tomb Raider reboot was in development, he's perfect for heading up the new Perfect Dark. 

That actually sounds awesome.  I don't have an XBox, but I remember playing the original Perfect Dark on my N64, and that sort of re-envisioning would be amazing for that story.

mizzou_guy said:
shikamaru317 said:

That actually sounds awesome.  I don't have an XBox, but I remember playing the original Perfect Dark on my N64, and that sort of re-envisioning would be amazing for that story.

Here's the quote from MS Studios Creative Director Ken Lobb a few years ago:

"Today, no one is working on a new Perfect Dark," he said, "it's in the discussion a lot. In a world where you have Halo and you have Gears, having another Perfect Dark Zero-style game maybe makes a little bit less sense than something that's a little more story-driven around Joanna, whether that's third-person with stealth, et cetera, et cetera ... we like the IP. Maybe we'll see another Joanna Dark game with Joanna by 2020. That would be an interesting year to bring her back."

And here's an article about the rumor which suggests the new Perfect Dark is in development now: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/rumour_a_new_perfect_dark_game_is_in_development_but_rare_isnt_involved

Did op care about this guy before he just joined Microsoft? o.o

Are Bonnie Ross and Rod Fergusson also on Microsoft studios leadership team?

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I'm just kind of surprised he stayed with Activision for such a short time.

They were risking some backslash if he joined MS directly after CD, so a couple of years somewhere  else allows everyone to forget the "Why did he give the ROTTR exclusivity to MS?" question. My opinion is that we have the answer to this question now. I could be wrong of course...

hudsoniscool said:
Are Bonnie Ross and Rod Fergusson also on Microsoft studios leadership team?

Bonnie Ross is, she's an Executive Vice President at MS Studios in addition to being 343's studio head. Afaik Rod is just The Coalition's studio head, I don't believe he holds an executive position at MS Studios. So this could go either way, Darrel might be just an executive, or they could be putting him in charge of a new studio. Hopefully the latter, MS needs to build up their first party and this guy would be perfect given his Tomb Raider credentials. The fact that he will be at Microsoft's E3 show tells me there will be a new studio, they wouldn't bring out a new executive on stage just 2 months after he joined MS, it's usually the same executives every E3, so most likely they will announce the new studio he will be heading at E3, with plans to build it up to AAA size by the end of the year. 

Well his involvement with TR could have some to do with MS trying to have their version of TR/UC, good to have more IPs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

a great move by MS, but safe to say whatever he'll be working on is a few years away?