Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shenmue 1&2 Announced!

$30? Physical?

What did we do to deserve this blessing of two complete games, far above most AAA trash in quality, at this low low price?
I think I'll preoder a copy!

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
StuOhQ said:

No Switch, no dice. Portable would be interesting, but remaster alone does little for me. Dreamcast still looks VERY sharp on an HDTV with the right equipment: https://youtu.be/u4Hld3ewARk

I am curious as to why these games aren’t gonna be released on the Switch, considering Xbone isn’t getting Shenmue 3 at the moment. There really isn’t anything on the Switch’s specs that’s holding it back so what gives? Almost like the Disney Afternoon collection all over again.

Rumor has it that Sega has been working closely with YS Net to time the release of Shenmue 1 + 2 HD around the release of Shenmue 3, and that the plan was to release Shenmue 1 + 2 HD on the platforms that Shenmue 3 will release on. While Shenmue 3 is currently not announced for Xbox One, it is heavily rumored that it will release on Xbox One later. Either Sony moneyhatted timed console exclusivity on it in exchange for advertising the Kickstarter on Sony's E3 stage, or YS Net simply lacks the resources to develop on 3 platforms at once.

As for why there is no Switch version, Yu Suzuki has confirmed that there are no plans at present for a Switch version of Shenmue 3, so if the rumor about Sega only releasing 1 + 2 on the platforms that 3 will release on is true, it makes sense that there is no Switch version of 1 + 2 HD. 

Very nice... and there goes one of my last reasons I kept my original Xbox connected to my old Sony CRT-TV.

Anyone interested in a used Shenmue II (NTSC Xbox version)?

Conina said:
Very nice... and there goes one of my last reasons I kept my original Xbox connected to my old Sony CRT-TV.

Is it complete? And for how much?

I keep asking this, but will they still stick to the unbelievably terrible control scheme it had on the Dreamcast? I'd have to think NO! would be the answer, but Sega ported these to the original Xbox, and even though they had a perfectly good dual analog controller to work with, chose to, lazily, stick with the archaic Dreamcast layout.

Chinese food for breakfast

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
I keep asking this, but will they still stick to the unbelievably terrible control scheme it had on the Dreamcast? I'd have to think NO! would be the answer, but Sega ported these to the original Xbox, and even though they had a perfectly good dual analog controller to work with, chose to, lazily, stick with the archaic Dreamcast layout.

It was confirmed that you'd have the option between the original controls and a new style of controls.

COKTOE said:

They added a modern control scheme in addition to the classic controls according to the Steam page. 

VGPolyglot said:
COKTOE said:

It was confirmed that you'd have the option between the original controls and a new style of controls.

shikamaru317 said:
COKTOE said:

They added a modern control scheme in addition to the classic controls according to the Steam page. 

Oh sweet Jesus thank you.

Chinese food for breakfast

F

shikamaru317 said:
Kai_Mao said:

I am curious as to why these games aren’t gonna be released on the Switch, considering Xbone isn’t getting Shenmue 3 at the moment. There really isn’t anything on the Switch’s specs that’s holding it back so what gives? Almost like the Disney Afternoon collection all over again.

Rumor has it that Sega has been working closely with YS Net to time the release of Shenmue 1 + 2 HD around the release of Shenmue 3, and that the plan was to release Shenmue 1 + 2 HD on the platforms that Shenmue 3 will release on. While Shenmue 3 is currently not announced for Xbox One, it is heavily rumored that it will release on Xbox One later. Either Sony moneyhatted timed console exclusivity on it in exchange for advertising the Kickstarter on Sony's E3 stage, or YS Net simply lacks the resources to develop on 3 platforms at once.

As for why there is no Switch version, Yu Suzuki has confirmed that there are no plans at present for a Switch version of Shenmue 3, so if the rumor about Sega only releasing 1 + 2 on the platforms that 3 will release on is true, it makes sense that there is no Switch version of 1 + 2 HD. 

Aw well. I guess it is what it is..

VGPolyglot said:
Conina said:

Is it complete? And for how much?

Should be complete... but I was wrong, it is the German PAL version.

So I'll try to sell it here in Germany to keep shipping costs low.