By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War review thread - Meta: 94 OC: 95

Azuren said:
Carl said:
It's gonna be a long few days wait.

I'm happy the risk to change the formula has paid off.

That's two big risks that paid off for game developers this year (the first being MHW).

Hopefully this leads to a trend of trying new things.

And horizon zero dawn last year. That's 3 games on playstation within 13 months of each other all taking big risks and blossoming on playstation. Sonys platform never stays still. Games always evolving and I think that's why the ps4 is king. 

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

Is a 5/10 automatically going to be considered a troll review?

Well, ask yourself - what does 5/10 signify? In school, a 50 out of 100 means you only put forth half the effort, and thus, failed the assignment. When everyone else is rating something 8-10, 3 (or 30) points less becomes suspect.

Nice way of explaining it. 

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, the quality of a game is completely subjective, I love FFX for example but I know there are others that absolutely hate it.

They'd have to state what they hate about it. 5/10 means there are lots of problems (or significant ones - like poor Game Design, clunky game-play, visual errors, etc...). They couldn't have simply been overlooked by every other reviewer.

And even if they hate it,, as a reviewer they should factor in if its because of their taste or because its bad. Otherwise you could have people who only like jrpgs reviewing this game, saying they hate it because it's not a jrpg, 2/10.

Around the Network

For example, a broken gameplay mechanic isn't really subjective. Graphics that look 10 years outdated isn't really subjective. Bugs and glitches aren't really subjective. Lots of aspects of a video game aren't that subjective. If a game is well made in virtually every aspect, it deserves decent scores from game critics, even if it's not necessarily their top personal preference type of game.

HyrulianScrolls said:
For example, a broken gameplay mechanic isn't really subjective. 

Actually, it is.

VGPolyglot said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

Getting really really close to 95. Hope some idiot doesn't wreck it with a troll 5/10 or something.

Is a 5/10 automatically going to be considered a troll review?

Usually outliner reviews are genereally considered as troll reviews.

I mean how will 100 people review something and give it a score between 9 or 10. Then maybe 4 or 5 people give it an 8. Then one person shows up and gives it a 5 or 6?

Its too far removed from the general consensus.....

Thats like 100 people  getting into a tesla and doing a 10 second quater mile then one person gets into the car and does the same quater mile in 20 seconds and claims something is wrong with the car. Nope..... its not the car, its the driver. And with referwnce to what you say about subjectivity and oersonal tastes here (agaon using the tesla analogy); so let the 20 second driver point out rhat going fast isn't really his thing and hes afraid of speed. But if he doesnt say that and instead says something is wrong woth the car, then hes trolling.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 12 April 2018

CGI-Quality said:

Are those his actual teeth? 

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
GoOnKid said:

Very high score, indeed. Congrats to the developers.

Has it been Jim Sterling's turn already? Imagine, what if he gave it a 7/10 (even if it wouldn't affect the score)?

He doesn't do reviews anymore so it'll have to be someone else.

He doesn't? Why not?

KLAMarine said:
TruckOSaurus said:

He doesn't do reviews anymore so it'll have to be someone else.

He doesn't? Why not?

Because a certain fanbase ruined it for everyone. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
For example, a broken gameplay mechanic isn't really subjective. 

Actually, it is.

No it isn't. Lets not confuse unique quirky gameply (eg tank controls) with 'broken gameplay' eg missed hit points, being able to stab/shoot enemies through the same walls that prevent them from comomg through to you, enemies being able to climb some stairs and not others giving you a loop hole advantage.....etc.

While "subjectively" you my like those things (like some people may like being able to cheat during an exam), it doesn't change thae fact that those are all broken elements in gameplay design and that cheating during an exam is still wrong.

Intrinsic said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Actually, it is.

No it isn't. Lets not confuse unique quirky gameply (eg tank controls) with 'broken gameplay' eg missed hit points, being able to stab/shoot enemies through the same walls that prevent them from comomg through to you, enemies being able to climb some stairs and not others giving you a loop hole advantage.....etc.

Well that's actually the problem. What is or isn't a broken gameplay mechanic is up for debate. There are the obvious ones like what you mentioned. But there is a lot of nuance between the obvious and the obscure. 

I guess it's time to clean the dust out of my PS2.