By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Recommend Me a New Game

This is way way way outside the box, but...

I recommend Photopia by Adam Cadre.



Around the Network

Nice recent games (no female protagonist):
Chuchel
Gorogoa
The Journey Down

...and earlier (female protagonist):
Last Day of June
Kathy Rain
Goetia
Shardlight
Her Story
Anna‘s Quest
Memoria
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Nelly Cootalot
Fran Bow
The Cat Lady
Dreamfall Chapters

Seeing your list and preferences, I assume you‘ve already played Life Is Strange, I would be surprised if you haven‘t. If not, this should be right up your alley, though it‘s just an interactive movie.

Also, for something different, Bayonetta 2.



MasterThief said:
Psychonauts

Have it! I do like it. Qualifies as perhaps my favorite game from the year 2005.

KLAMarine said:
Kamiko!

Got it! Definitely enjoyable.

Vodacixi said:
JRPGfan said:

MORE JRPGS :P

JK.

Well, Golden Sun is classic JRPG meets The Legend of Zelda pretty much. So... adventure, puzzles... he might actually like that one xD

Also Undertale could hardly be classified as an RPG

Also also... I would recommend LIMBO and INSIDE to Jaicee. Platforming, puzzles, very unique atmosphere, mysterious... I think you'll love them.

1) For at least the 15th time, I'm a she.

2) I think most people, myself included, definitely think of Undertale as an RPG. Just because it's an especially creative one doesn't mean it fails to qualify.

3) I have INSIDE and agree that it's quite awesome. I especially like the game's hidden ending, which frankly I felt said what The Witness had to say for $25 and like 65 hours less, plus a lot more actual atmosphere and thought provocation.

Hiku said:
 

Glad to hear you played it, and loved it. :) As I progress I'm seeing more and more of why people speak so highly of it.
I think I can see (roughly) where the story of "what it means to be human" is headed, and it's been pretty intriguing so far. That Nier says something about why we play these sort of games though is something I haven't thought of or noticed yet, but I'll keep that in mind moving forward. (Just started A2's story.)

Well that's just my interpretation, as someone who tends to read combat-based games of this nature as simple, mindless power fantasies. That's what I came in expecting, but left instead with an extraordinarily thoughtful critique of social violence and commentary on, as you aptly put it, the nature of humanity. Where meaning is to be found in this world. (Incidentally, Carolyn Petit wrote an exceptionally good article about the core point of the game last year by contrasting it with the defeatist conclusion of The Witcher 3. I'd recommend giving it a read, though you might want to finish the game first because the commentary spoils the conclusion, which will likely surprise you no matter how far along you are toward it, big time.) It definitely blew away my prejudices and expectations.

Nozz-A-La said:
Persona 5 !

Have it too. Loved it! Not quite as much as Persona 4, but still felt that it demonstrated an unusually deep-going understanding of human motivations.

globalisateur said:
 

If you like incredibly well done environmental puzzles with a bit of a story:

- The Talos Principle + DLC (don't miss the incredible DLC !)

This is one of my favorite game.

The Talos Principle is a pretty smart game (and I don't mean in terms of the challenge level on offer), I agree! :)

VGPolyglot said:
Do you like disturbing/horror games?

A game's actual theme doesn't matter too much to me per se so much as the emotional density thereof, if you will. I'm up for disturbing/horror! Whatcha got?

VersusEvil said:

Crossing Souls and whilst not a 2018 game I can't recommend Pyre enough, one of my top 10 games.

Hmm, haven't heard of Crossing Souls before, but will add it to the wish list on your recommendation, as I think you and I have pretty similar tastes. I liked Pyre a lot too. :D

John2290 said:
PSVR headset with whatever interests you the most out of a decent top 20 list. Personally I'd go for, in no particular order Wipeout VR, Blasters of the Universe, Superhot VR, Farpoint, Resident evil 7, Dirt rally, Moss, Windlands, Rush of blood, Sprint vector, Apex contruct, psvr worlds for the London heist segment. You'll never feel in need of games again, the list is ever increasing and every month seems to be getting better and better. It's like having your first console all over again, that level of excitement.

I can't really afford VR. Well I could, but then I couldn't afford games. Plus honestly, there's really nothing original -- nothing only available in VR -- that even looks particularly interesting to me, if I can be honest.

Player2 said:

Until I saw 2018 I was going to say Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Castlevania Order of Ecclesia and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, but now.... maybe Atelier Lydie & Suelle?

I still haven't haven't played the new Shantae and suppose I should probably get around to it. It's been out long enough that I probably should have tried it by now. Order of Ecclesia is also my favorite Castlevania game. :)

As to Atelier Lydie & Suelle, I had to look that one up, but after so doing, honestly I may bypass on it. Given the sheer volume of games being released nowadays, I can't help but feel that I can do better than a truly generic JRPG "for girls" anymore.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ico?

I got Ico a long time ago. :P I felt it was extraordinary back when it was new, though by today's standards it feels a little less special to me.

weraru_1 said:

Play Cave Story.

Been there, done that!

mjk45 said:
I know it's light on in some of the gaming styles you favour but i recommend Journey.

Been there, done that too!

okr said:
Nice recent games (no female protagonist):
Chuchel
Gorogoa
The Journey Down

...and earlier (female protagonist):
Last Day of June
Kathy Rain
Goetia
Shardlight
Her Story
Anna‘s Quest
Memoria
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Nelly Cootalot
Fran Bow
The Cat Lady
Dreamfall Chapters

Seeing your list and preferences, I assume you‘ve already played Life Is Strange, I would be surprised if you haven‘t. If not, this should be right up your alley, though it‘s just an interactive movie.

Also, for something different, Bayonetta 2.

Now THAT is a recommendation list! Out of the games on your main list, I have played only Her Story (loved it; 25th or so, as I recall, on my all-time favorites list from last year!) and Last Day of June (a very sweet game), so there's a lot there for me to look and maybe try in the future. Thanks! :)

Yes, I have indeed played both Life is Strange games.

Bayonetta 2? After finishing the first one, no. Not my cup of tea. :P

Last edited by Jaicee - on 07 April 2018

Jaicee said:

VGPolyglot said:
Do you like disturbing/horror games?

A game's actual theme doesn't matter too much to me per se so much as the emotional density thereof, if you will. I'm up for disturbing/horror! Whatcha got?

Have you tried Yume Nikki? It's a surrealistic adventure game that kind of reminds me of Earthbound.



Jaicee said:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Player2 said:

Until I saw 2018 I was going to say Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Castlevania Order of Ecclesia and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, but now.... maybe Atelier Lydie & Suelle?

I still haven't haven't played the new Shantae and suppose I should probably get around to it. It's been out long enough that I probably should have tried it by now. Order of Ecclesia is also my favorite Castlevania game. :)

As to Atelier Lydie & Suelle, I had to look that one up, but after so doing, honestly I may bypass on it. Given the sheer volume of games being released nowadays, I can't help but feel that I can do better than a truly generic JRPG "for girls" anymore.

 
 
 

It's ok to say "perverts".

Atelier games aren't generic. The idea in this series is that your characters work at an alchemy workshop. Unlike most RPGs you find/buy/obtain recipees and ingredients you can use to craft al kinds of items like potions, weapons, accessories, armor, etc and give them special properties.

Rol should be playing it right now, he can tell you more things about this entry than I can.



Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

Have you tried Yume Nikki? It's a surrealistic adventure game that kind of reminds me of Earthbound.

I've never heard of it before just now. Looked up some footage a moment ago and it looks quite awesome! I definitely enjoy surrealism in games. :D

In fact, I think I'll place this right after Iconoclasts as the second game I'll try out in the immediate future.



Player2 said:

It's ok to say "perverts".

Atelier games aren't generic. The idea in this series is that your characters work at an alchemy workshop. Unlike most RPGs you find/buy/obtain recipees and ingredients you can use to craft al kinds of items like potions, weapons, accessories, armor, etc and give them special properties.

Rol should be playing it right now, he can tell you more things about this entry than I can.

I'll be honest: that sounds dull even to me. I mean unless there's a real reason for doing so. I can't do Minecraft/Terraria type games where you just create stuff for no reason.

There's just something about this trailer I'm watching that simultaneously weirds me out and bores me to tears at the same time. I'm not sensing any real heart here behind the development. It's coming off as a very superficial game in this trailer. I could be wrong! But I think this is the kind of game that, at best, I might, MIGHT considering renting first. There's no way I'm plunking down $50-60 for this unless it turns out to be a great deal more interesting than it looks to me right now, at first glance.



Jaicee said:
VGPolyglot said:

Have you tried Yume Nikki? It's a surrealistic adventure game that kind of reminds me of Earthbound.

I've never heard of it before just now. Looked up some footage a moment ago and it looks quite awesome! I definitely enjoy surrealism in games. :D

In fact, I think I'll place this right after Iconoclasts as the second game I'll try out in the immediate future.

The game's free on Steam too! Though there is a re-imagining that isn't free, I'd recommend playing the original first anyway.



VGPolyglot said:

The game's free on Steam too! Though there is a re-imagining that isn't free, I'd recommend playing the original first anyway.

Free a winning price is! Plus I like the NES-style look better anyway.



Jaicee said:
Hiku said:

Glad to hear you played it, and loved it. :) As I progress I'm seeing more and more of why people speak so highly of it.
I think I can see (roughly) where the story of "what it means to be human" is headed, and it's been pretty intriguing so far. That Nier says something about why we play these sort of games though is something I haven't thought of or noticed yet, but I'll keep that in mind moving forward. (Just started A2's story.)

Well that's just my interpretation, as someone who tends to read combat-based games of this nature as simple, mindless power fantasies. That's what I came in expecting, but left instead with an extraordinarily thoughtful critique of social violence and commentary on, as you aptly put it, the nature of humanity. Where meaning is to be found in this world. (Incidentally, Carolyn Petit wrote an exceptionally good article about the core point of the game last year by contrasting it with the defeatist conclusion of The Witcher 3. I'd recommend giving it a read, though you might want to finish the game first because the commentary spoils the conclusion, which will likely surprise you no matter how far along you are toward it, big time.) It definitely blew away my prejudices and expectations.

Well I'd really like to ask you more about some of your interpretations, once I fully complete the game. Though in my case I didn't expect the story to disappoint me based on the choice of gameplay/combat, because I find that the writing can often be very far removed from the choice of gameplay, and I'm no longer surprised to find a compelling story in almost any type of game. On top of that, prior to playing the game I heard that Square Enix were ok with the story portion of the Nier/Drakengard series (I have not played any of those games yet), but needed to improve the gameplay/combat portion to give the series the proper attention it deserved, so they contracted Platinum Games for this particular entry in the series.

I did however expect that the combat aspect of the gameplay would be the main takeaway from this game, in particular because it was developed by Platinum, and I got the sense that the focus lied heavily on the stylish combat, after playing the demo, where you didn't get much of a sense of the story. Even when I continued on in the full game it took a while before I became really interested in the story. But I especially liked how they let you explore the world and its inhabitants, and how the story unfolded through those interactions.
And while the combat was really enjoyable and well made as well, I don't look back at it as the main takeaway of the game, as I do with Devil May Cry, or from what I've played/seen, Bayonetta. When the gameplay is as good as it is here, and it's not the first, or even the second, thing that comes to mind when someone mentions the game, says a lot about how good of an experience it was overall.

I'm not completely finished with the game, but I'm probably very close as I just finished Route C. And I think D will be finished by just making a different choice in the last battle. So I'll see what that ending brings, and what new side stories opened up, and if there's possibly an additional ending beyond that, etc.
But I'll get back to you once I'm done with the game as I'm curious to hear some of your thoughts about it.

Oh and I bookmarked that article you linked. I'll be sure to check it out later.

Last edited by Hiku - on 07 April 2018