By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - should IPs be given up by large publishers if not used?

Should IPs be given or easily attainable by other studios/publishers?

Yes 8 33.33%

No 5 20.83%

you're an idiot 11 45.83%

Total:24

Yeah I knew it was dumb. but I also meant games that have to have been abandoned for a significant period of time
like 10 years

Around the Network

I'd say the best option for IPs the publishers are not using would be to outsource them to smaller developers, while still holding the publishing rights to them, because let's face it, no publisher is going to willingly just give up any of their intellectual properties for free.

This way those unused IPs would not only remain relevant and in use, but it would also give the publishers an incentive to make use of them, as they could minimize their costs for them while also making profit by publishing them.

I mean it'd be cool if some dead IP's that are worth bringing back wound up in the hands of some passionate dev team looking to do just that, but the "Should" part of your title throws me off. If it had been "Would it be nice?" I'd say sure, but it makes very little sense to give up any IP's so they really shouldn't.

The main issue is that there's no real incentive to give up a dead IP as it may one day be in some way valuable, but by virtue of being dead they generally can't expect much compensation for it should they be open to selling it. That varies by IP, of course, but it's true more often than not.

I would like for publishers to give up IPs if they no longer intend on using them, yes. If you think deep down a certain property is no longer viable for your company, auction it. Don't just sit on it until it loses value. Sometimes corporations do use IPs as bargaining chips though.

No.

Fifty years or the life of the creator, which ever is longer. That is how long I think IP ownership should last before becoming public domain.  Either buy an IP or make your own if that is too long.

Around the Network

I think that IP laws are way too long, if more franchises/games were in the public domain it'd be great seeing all of the things that could be done with them.

VGPolyglot said:
I think that IP laws are way too long, if more franchises/games were in the public domain it'd be great seeing all of the things that could be done with them.

But people complain about lack of new IPs already, if you're giving everybody free access to a bunch of established franchises then there's going to be even fewer new IPs.

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

But people complain about lack of new IPs already, if you're giving everybody free access to a bunch of established franchises then there's going to be even fewer new IPs.

Not really, since copyright holders right now like Nintendo would have to create new franchises in order to own the IP rights since their old franchises would be in the public domain.

VGPolyglot said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Not really, since copyright holders right now like Nintendo would have to create new franchises in order to own the IP rights since their old franchises would be in the public domain.

The existence of cheap knock-off Mario games wouldn't stop people from buying a new proper Nintendo made Mario game though (unless the cheap knock-offs made the IP look really bad)

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

The existence of cheap knock-off Mario games wouldn't stop people from buying a new proper Nintendo made Mario game though (unless the cheap knock-offs made the IP look really bad)

Yeah, but if they want to avoid having others making use of the new game to promote their own titles they'd have to make a new IP.