By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: Detroit Become Human - 3 New Videos

CGI-Quality said:

If we want to get nit picky, I’ve seen ‘lazy’ instances of writing in plenty of games, even ones I’ve seen you defend. Point was Cage’s writing improved substantially over Heavy Rain with his next title.

That's not nit-picky at all. That's walking out the cinema and demanding my money back. I cut games some slack occasionally but when you have a heavily narrative driven game from a dev that leans heavily on that very thing to differentiate himself from others, I expect a better level of craft.  He put himself in this position, not me. ND have also put themselves in that position but they live up to it (99% of the time).

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

It is nit-picky, because the whole game didn’t have that problem. Besides, you’ve already made your mind up about him as a writer. Using your analogy, if you ‘wanted your money back’ for his previous work, why come to his next movie to bitch about his writing? 

Because, just like in nearly all games I 'play', I end up tuning out of the story and dialogue and just enjoy the gameplay. I would just like to also engage in the story without wincing. Like I said, Cage is the person responsible for this level of scrutiny, not me. Other developers don't push the 'emotional connection' narrative like Cage does. They just make the game and hope people like it. ND also talk in similar terms but they're more nuanced and multifaceted in their approach to explaining it. ... And of course, they're leagues ahead of Cage in this regard. If ND slips with the next game, I will be all over them. The difference here is they have actually set the standard while Cage simply gives it lip service. 

I take it you like David Cage ... :) Sorry.

The PS5 Exists. 

CGI-Quality said:

No need to apologize. I got it. You suddenly like to bitch about things more these days. I’d say you should just skip the game entirely and not buy anymore Quantic titles until they ‘meet your standard’.

So, let's look at this ...

1: 'No need to apologise'. Perfectly reasonable and decent.

2: 'I got it'. Mmmm ... Curt and so suggestive of testiness. Is at odds slightly with the fist sentiment. We already have 'conflict' without it being spelled out. Take note Cage.

3: 'You suddenly like to bitch about things these days.' I would lose 'suddenly', it does't really add to the sentence because 'these days' does that job better. This is very Cage unfortunately. The interesting word here, and a brilliant counterpoint to the first perfectly reasonable sentence, is the word 'bitch'. It could have been 'complain' (neutral and objective, emotionally speaking)  or 'moan' (Less neutral and from a more subjective and negative perspective) but you chose 'bitch' (A powerful word, perfectly nailing the conflict with the opening sentence.) We now know for certain the sentiment of the first sentence is meaningless. Again, Cage, take note.

4: 'I'd say you should just skip the game entirely and not buy anymore Quantic titles until they 'meet your standards''. 'I'd say' is a reasonable sentence starter here. It shows the writer understands this is merely a subjective interpretation of the conversation and that other people may have differing views. I would lose 'entirely' here though. You can't really partially skip something. You either experience it or don't experience it, unless you partake and then decide it's not an experience you want to continue with, in which case 'skip' isn't the word I'd use. At the very end we have 'meet your standards'. Without the quote marks there would be a certain degree of ambiguity in tone. Although the inclination would be to think it a possible dig. However, with speech marks included, it makes it a certain dig in the context of what was written beforehand. It was also the motive for this ironic response :)

The PS5 Exists. 

CGI-Quality said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I saw one particular scene in Beyond and that was enough to put me off. It was a scene with an African child helping our protagonist and forming a bond through cliqued dialogue and events. The scene ends with the protagonist shooting the African Childs father. LOL. Music swells, we cry, job done. THAT'S Cage and his stupid obsession with 'wanting to make people feel emotion'. The quality of dialogue or any interaction between the characters needs to be consistent throughout the game and the Kara vid just made me laugh when I watched it.  

'It's us against the world Alice'
'Just the two of us.'
'We have to learn to trust each other.'
'I only have you.'
'And you only have me.'
'And I'm going to do everything I can to make you happy again.'

Just awful writing. It's not 'human', it's cliques in speech marks. It's just a summery of something that should have been shown not explained. It's lazy. 

If we want to get nit picky, I’ve seen ‘lazy’ instances of writing in plenty of games, even ones you’ve defended. His writing still improved substantially over Heavy Rain with Beyond.

There's also the fact that these are androids. They don't exactly have a natural talking pattern. To me, the writing is fine. I do think it's funny that some have a certain writer/director that they chastise, but then defend other games/movies with equally "bad/clichéd" writing.

thismeintiel said:

There's also the fact that these are androids. They don't exactly have a natural talking pattern. To me, the writing is fine. I do think it's funny that some have a certain writer/director that they chastise, but then defend other games/movies with equally "bad/clichéd" writing.

'You can't kill me, I'm not alive,' the android tells the android. 

It has nothing to do with natural talking patterns. It's stupid writing. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

SO WONDERFUL !!!

My Dream-Game this year maybe!

Connor and Kara, the two <3 These character inventions are awesome. I'm looking forward to everyone else too. The story, the emotions, the atmosphere .. cant wait of this game! And it will be the biggest and most varied Quantic Dream-game, according to the interview. One of the video games that will be remembered in fifteen years :) Have pre-ordered in the store now:)

KazumaKiryu said:

Connor and Kara, the two <3 These character inventions are awesome. I'm looking forward to everyone else too. The story, the emotions, the atmosphere .. cant wait of this game! And it will be the biggest and most varied Quantic Dream-game, according to the interview. One of the video games that will be remembered in fifteen years :) Have pre-ordered in the store now:)

Who said that? Person in the interview? Or You?

Press X to Jason

Detroit Become Human 3?

Oh damnit, did time slip my attention again when i didnt look?

Hunting Season is done...