By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOUR: Pokémon switch to be a reboot of the franchise

spemanig said:
peachbuggy said:

There's actually a quite large competitive pokemon battling scene.

Yeah, “large” as in a few thousand. It’s niche. Pokémon sells millions. Only a fraction of a percent even know there is a competitive battle even to begin with. I’m part of that scene. You don’t have to talk like I’m out of the loop.

Well, considering the franchise is so huge, even a tiny percentage would still be quite large. Whilst i agree with what you are saying, i would argue it is bigger than what you think.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
spemanig said:
routsounmanman said:

Smash does the same, but you don’t hear people babbling about changing the battle system.

It’s like everyone holds a grudge against turn-based combat (especially so-called critics) while it offers the most depth and requires actual thinking.

My comment was only concerning you being baffled.

Oh. Sorry, fair enough.

AnmolRed said:

Wasn't there a post near SuMo that said the models in the game were HD and assets were ready , but they dumbed it down for the 3ds?

I wouldn't have a clue, haven't paid attention to Pokemon in years.
Happy to read any sources if you have them.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
AnmolRed said:

Wasn't there a post near SuMo that said the models in the game were HD and assets were ready , but they dumbed it down for the 3ds?

I honestly don't know if thats true or not, but when upscaled on pc, with the black outlines removed, the models looks quite a bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSI1Id1LHPI

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Pemalite said:

I honestly don't know if thats true or not, but when upscaled on pc, with the black outlines removed, the models looks quite a bit better.

The models look low poly, I would fully expect the Switch to be a huge jump over that in terms of model complexity.

Everything upscaled on the PC tends to look better, even Nintendo 64/Playstation 1 games.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Flilix said:
spemanig said:

Yeah, “large” as in a few thousand. It’s niche. Pokémon sells millions. Only a fraction of a percent even know there is a competitive battle even to begin with. I’m part of that scene. You don’t have to talk like I’m out of the loop.

There may be only a few tens of thousands of people who go to actual tournaments and stuff like that, but the 'semi-competitive' scene (people who train their Pokémons for online battles, but who aren't on the official ranking) is definitely huge.

I highly doubt that a lot of Pokémon fans would want the battle system to change dramastically. And with 'fans' I don't mean these few thousands of people, but the millions of people who are into the franchise.

It's a tiny fraction of the fanbase. It's not most. You can call that whatever you want, but it's not most by a long shot, which is all I care about arguing.

And I don't agree with the idea that literally anyone but competitive heads and purists, of which I am both, cares at all about keeping the battle system. If you asked 20 mil fans if they'd rather Pokemon be turn based or more "like the tv show," I'd bet real money that at least 18m of them would pick the different battle system. And only a few thousand of those would actually be into competitive battling.

And for the record, I have no qualms what so ever about GF ditching the current battle system because they've absolutely destroyed the metagame by introducing megas and z-moves. Let's not pretend that Pokemon's battle system is still some haven for nuanced and interesting battle tactics. Next thing you know, gen 8 will introduce special items that let Pokemon use two moves every turn or something equally as absurd as a super saiyan form and a 5th super move slot. This battle system is far from sacred. I genuinely miss the days when the worst and most centralizing force in the metagame was Stealth Rock and all the boring and stifling tactics it brought.

peachbuggy said:
spemanig said:

Well, considering the franchise is so huge, even a tiny percentage would still be quite large. Whilst i agree with what you are saying, i would argue it is bigger than what you think.

I'm only concerned with what I'm arguing. "Large" is not what I'm arguing against. "Most" is.

Last edited by Frogger - on 12 March 2018

The Pokemon formula is really good and doesn't need to be tweaked really, so I would be interested in a reboot in the series.. a jump to something new and exciting

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Honestly, I kinda do hope they do something radically different with it.

I've never really liked Pokemon cos the games always seemed very formulaic and dated.

If they do a BOTW-style reinvention of the series, I may actually buy it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 March 2018

Pemalite said:
flashfire926 said:

The models look low poly, I would fully expect the Switch to be a huge jump over that in terms of model complexity.

Everything upscaled on the PC tends to look better, even Nintendo 64/Playstation 1 games.

Even if the models aren't just downscaled for 3DS, I would think they could still just update the models, they wouldn't have to make completely new ones from scratch saving them loads of time n effort. Plus come on, rebooting the series just so you don't have to deal with 800+ pokemon models is quite the lazy excuse.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Pemalite said:

Even if the models aren't just downscaled for 3DS, I would think they could still just update the models, they wouldn't have to make completely new ones from scratch saving them loads of time n effort. Plus come on, rebooting the series just so you don't have to deal with 800+ pokemon models is quite the lazy excuse.

The 3DS models / assets are unusable.

If Nintendo / Game Freak wants to have anything resembling a quality product, everything will need to be redone.
Animations.
Models.
Textures.
Sounds.
AI.
Nothing in the 3DS titles is even close to being adequate for a console release.