By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - You can't believe trump won?

Trump 2020

Hell yes! 20 25.32%

Lets wait and see! 3 3.80%

Fuck no! 50 63.29%

Indifferent/comments/Hilary's dusty pussy... 6 7.59%

Total:79
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Google "is blah blah blah unprecedented"

The answer is no. The thought that Senate will not consider lame duck nominations is long standing

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/05/senate-obama-merrick-garland-supreme-court-nominee/482733/

Critics—who concede that the Senate can refuse to approve Supreme Court nominations—argue for an atextual requirement that the Senate must refuse its consent through  formal procedures. But nothing in the Constitution requires this, and the Senate’s longstanding practice has included many failures to take formal action on nominees.

https://www.acslaw.org/acsblog/text-of-senator-schumers-speech

Second, for the rest of this President’s term and if there is another Republican elected with the same selection criteria let me say this:

We should reverse the presumption of confirmation.  The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance.  We cannot afford to see Justice Stevens replaced by another Roberts; or Justice Ginsburg by another Alito.

Given the track record of this President and the experience of obfuscation at the hearings, with respect to the Supreme Court, at least:  I will recommend to my colleagues that we should not confirm a Supreme Court nominee EXCEPT in extraordinary circumstances

Chuckie Schumer

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/history-political-fights-over-supreme-court-seats/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/history-stolen-supreme-court-seats-180962589/

“There is this tendency to view history through rose-colored glasses from time to time, and to suggest we’ve never been this political,” says Charles Gardner Geyh, a law professor at Indiana University and author of the 2008 book When Courts and Congress Collide. “In reality, we have always had a highly politicized selection process.” Several times in the 1800s, Geyh says, “the Senate certainly appears to have delayed with an eye toward saving the nomination for the next president.”

Also from that Smithsonian article: "Despite the stolen Supreme Court seats of the mid-1800s, says Geyh, the modern Senate's outright declaration that no Obama nominee would get a hearing or vote in 2016 still violated the Senate's norms. None of the tabled nominees of the 1800s were federal judges like Garland, whose qualifications the Senate endorsed in 1997 by confirming him for his appeals court seat, 76-23. "You've got a consensus choice," says Geyh, "which makes it all the more bald-faced that the Senate would do as it did."

Lots of chaotic SC crap went on in the mid-1800s--that's why these "norms" were established in the first place.

I admit it was not literally unprecedented--I only checked the 20th century nominees. And indeed nothing in the Constitution requires the Senate to vote on nominees. Even so, norms have a place--if it weren't for them, the Dems could have blocked Eisenhower's, Nixon's, and maybe Reagan's picks since they controlled the Senate for 52 out of 62 years from the 30s to the 90s; the GOP could have done the same to Bill's nominees. Each side understood that if one broke the norm, it'd start a race to the bottom. Aging justices would always retire while their party controlled the other two branches so the makeup of the SC would stay locked no matter whom the people vote in. How about electors? Nowhere in the Constitution does it require they follow the popular vote, so I'm sure it's fair if they choose anyone they want!

So yes, these things aren't set in stone, but they most certainly have a valid purpose.

Around the Network
Mr_Destiny said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Google "is blah blah blah unprecedented"

The answer is no. The thought that Senate will not consider lame duck nominations is long standing

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/05/senate-obama-merrick-garland-supreme-court-nominee/482733/

Critics—who concede that the Senate can refuse to approve Supreme Court nominations—argue for an atextual requirement that the Senate must refuse its consent through  formal procedures. But nothing in the Constitution requires this, and the Senate’s longstanding practice has included many failures to take formal action on nominees.

https://www.acslaw.org/acsblog/text-of-senator-schumers-speech

Second, for the rest of this President’s term and if there is another Republican elected with the same selection criteria let me say this:

We should reverse the presumption of confirmation.  The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance.  We cannot afford to see Justice Stevens replaced by another Roberts; or Justice Ginsburg by another Alito.

Given the track record of this President and the experience of obfuscation at the hearings, with respect to the Supreme Court, at least:  I will recommend to my colleagues that we should not confirm a Supreme Court nominee EXCEPT in extraordinary circumstances

Chuckie Schumer

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/history-political-fights-over-supreme-court-seats/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/history-stolen-supreme-court-seats-180962589/

“There is this tendency to view history through rose-colored glasses from time to time, and to suggest we’ve never been this political,” says Charles Gardner Geyh, a law professor at Indiana University and author of the 2008 book When Courts and Congress Collide. “In reality, we have always had a highly politicized selection process.” Several times in the 1800s, Geyh says, “the Senate certainly appears to have delayed with an eye toward saving the nomination for the next president.”

Also from that Smithsonian article: "Despite the stolen Supreme Court seats of the mid-1800s, says Geyh, the modern Senate's outright declaration that no Obama nominee would get a hearing or vote in 2016 still violated the Senate's norms. None of the tabled nominees of the 1800s were federal judges like Garland, whose qualifications the Senate endorsed in 1997 by confirming him for his appeals court seat, 76-23. "You've got a consensus choice," says Geyh, "which makes it all the more bald-faced that the Senate would do as it did."

Lots of chaotic SC crap went on in the mid-1800s--that's why these "norms" were established in the first place.

I admit it was not literally unprecedented--I only checked the 20th century nominees. And indeed nothing in the Constitution requires the Senate to vote on nominees. Even so, norms have a place--if it weren't for them, the Dems could have blocked Eisenhower's, Nixon's, and maybe Reagan's picks since they controlled the Senate for 52 out of 62 years from the 30s to the 90s; the GOP could have done the same to Bill's nominees. Each side understood that if one broke the norm, it'd start a race to the bottom. Aging justices would always retire while their party controlled the other two branches so the makeup of the SC would stay locked no matter whom the people vote in. How about electors? Nowhere in the Constitution does it require they follow the popular vote, so I'm sure it's fair if they choose anyone they want!

So yes, these things aren't set in stone, but they most certainly have a valid purpose.

The norms were already being challenged by the dems as Schumer and Reid show. No seat was stolen and the tactics used had been used previously. They could have just abolished the seat and have no tie breaking vote. They allowed the seat to remain vacant for long enough.

Electors can and have voted against the popular vote of their state 

And just wanted to point out that "norms" is a terrible way of defending something... "but it was always like that".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sethnintendo said:

Apparently republicans can't stop believing in fantasy either.  Enjoy your stay in "heaven" when you die.

4 - Everyone probably believes in some sort of ideal society and others even think it is possible. I'm atheist so I have zero issue with you desiring me heaven or hell, but we can see your intentions of bad outcome for someone that disagree with you.

Apparently you missed my dig against religion.  I was calling all religion fantasy and people that believe in religion are living in a life of fantasy. I was making fun of all that think their religion is right and they are going to a place with streets of gold, mansions, etc... when they die while all other non believers are damned to hell.

Let's just agree that no one us is going to change each others mind.  I hate all established parties but I certainly hate republicans far more than any other party because they are a party of douchebags and fuck heads.  Just look at their leaders and almost all their representatives they are all douches.  I present to you McConnell and Ryan.  I rest my case.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 23 May 2018

sethnintendo said:
DonFerrari said:

4 - Everyone probably believes in some sort of ideal society and others even think it is possible. I'm atheist so I have zero issue with you desiring me heaven or hell, but we can see your intentions of bad outcome for someone that disagree with you.

Apparently you missed my dig against religion.  I was calling all religion fantasy and people that believe in religion are living in a life of fantasy. I was making fun of all that think their religion is right and they are going to a place with streets of gold, mansions, etc... when they die while all other non believers are damned to hell.

Let's just agree that no one us is going to change each others mind.  I hate all established parties but I certainly hate republicans far more than any other party because they are a party of douchebags and fuck heads.  Just look at their leaders and almost all their representatives they are all douches.  I present to you McConnell and Ryan.  I rest my case.

SInce I understand your other points I'll just say that I like Democrats even less because not only they are also douchebags they try to put themselves on high moral pedestal.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

SInce I understand your other points I'll just say that I like Democrats even less because not only they are also douchebags they try to put themselves on high moral pedestal.

At least they try and pass some laws here and there that actually benefit the average citizen instead of being completely fake like republicans who only pass bills in favor of the highest donor.  Republicans are completely sucking on the tit of corporate America while putting on complete bullshit front of actually caring about the average citizen.

So go ahead and support your corporate whores.

Maxosaurus-rex said:

Your post ishilariously incorrect and self righteous y

Cosby,Conyers, clinton,Schneiderman,wienstine, Franken,Rosee, Jesse Jackson, SpadeWienerl, Levin all sayhi. Just off the top of my head. i

George H.W. Bush (groper in chief), Roy Moore, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Mark Sanford, Mark Foley, Dennis Hastert, Donald Trump

I can keep going also if you want.

Vinther1991 said:
epicurean said:
I didn't watch the video. I didn't vote for Trump, either. But the playbook the left used the previous 8 years was to call everyone who didn't think EXACTLY like them a bigot, a racist, or a sexist (among other things). Then they ran against a guy who backed those so called people. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

The far/alt-right is terrible, yes, but the majority of the left is becoming quite terrible as well.

Absolutely this.

I am an outsider to American politics, but I am beginning to understand more and more why Trump won. Had I been American I would have certainly not voted for Trump in 2016, had the election been today, I might have, not sure. His views (lies) about global warming and his promises about putting Clinton in jail would probably still be a turn-off for me - at least the latter turned out to just be a 'sick joke'.

The main reason Trump won and the reason he will win in 2020 is that the democrats allow less and less room for nuances in thinking. The radical left has a lot of power over the whole left in American politics. Any deviation from their mindset and you will be called all different kinds of things and will not be welcome in hollywood or a lot of other places, and a lot of 'reliable' media will quickly label you alt-right or something worse.

Also the whole victimization of black people (this includes black lives matter) and women that the radical left is practicing, along with the collective guilt put on white people (especially men) is extremely dangerous to the society.

If the moderate left in the US does not wake up and seperate itself from the political correct fanatics of the radical left, they will not stand a chance against republicans.

Some of the same issues are also seen in other western countries. One of the worst examples is Canada, which passed the Bill C-16, the most radical restriction on freedom of speech we have seen in any western country since WW2. Also UK suffers from left wing fanatism, especially in the media. Other western countries are doing better, but the problems are still deeply present.

I withdraw my comment about the canadian Bill C-16, which was based on a miss-representation of the bill. The bill had nothing to do with freedom of speech, and was infact a very important bill. I apologize for the stupid claim I made. I still stand by everything else I said.

sethnintendo said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Your post ishilariously incorrect and self righteous y

Cosby,Conyers, clinton,Schneiderman,wienstine, Franken,Rosee, Jesse Jackson, SpadeWienerl, Levin all sayhi. Just off the top of my head. i

George H.W. Bush (groper in chief), Roy Moore, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Mark Sanford, Mark Foley, Dennis Hastert, Donald Trump

I can keep going also if you want.

And so could I. Your post is self righteous while being wrong. Cosby and wienstine are the worst of all of them 

sethnintendo said:
DonFerrari said:

At least they try and pass some laws here and there that actually benefit the average citizen instead of being completely fake like republicans who only pass bills in favor of the highest donor.  Republicans are completely sucking on the tit of corporate America while putting on complete bullshit front of actually caring about the average citizen.

So go ahead and support your corporate whores.

You have a very hard sale on me for "laws that benefit average citizen", since all evidence we see from government intervention sooner or later goes to kick citizen in the ass even when they say it is on the citizen interest.

But that is me being a minimum government defender and seeing politicians from all sides usually more worried about themselves and favoring big players.