By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - NSFW Discussion - What term do you use for the viral/bacterial crudding of genitals?

What term do you use?

VD 2 11.11%

STD 12 66.67%

STI 3 16.67%

pox 0 0%

Social disease 1 5.56%

Sexually communicable disease 0 0%

Total:18
Jumpin said:
VAMatt said:
VD refers to a specific subset of STDs. At least, that's how we do it in the US.

STD is a more recent term, from the 80s or 90s which was more or less brought in because it was less stigmatized. Then STI came in to replace it once STD gained all the stigma of VD. They claim different technical meanings but, in actual practice, all mean the same thing.

The reason for the change is largely due to old ones becoming too stigmatized for discussion.

Someone brought up pox as a medieval term - it is, it entered the English language during Middle English, and is descended all the way back to Proto-Germanic thousands of years ago.

At some point, venereal disease replaced it. This originated in Latin, and was introduced through the Norman conquest of England. In the 1600s it became commonly used, replacing pox.

At the turn of the 20th century, they decided a less offensive term was required. That's when Social Disease was introduced, and others less successful.

By the 1930s VD came to be the term, and that remained the main word until around the 1990s when STD replaced it; although STD was first used in the late 70s. VD is just short for venereal disease. That VD poster in the original post was from the TV show Friends season 1 in 1994; just before STD became more commonly used.

STI was introduced in the 80s, but didn't catch on until around a decade ago. It has fallen into less use... an I just doesn't have the rind of a D.

That's the history of it.

I believe right now we are in the era of STDs.

Thanks for the lesson, I always thought of a pox as a general sickness the likes of which a superstitious person would think a "witch" or the like cast on them.

granturismo238 said:
I was taught STD in the 90's and early 2000's. STI is more recent but I refuse to use it.

I feel the same way about Pluto. It is still a planet to me.

Great post, love it

Around the Network

Neither of those things is an acronym.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Neither of those things is an acronym.

True, fixed!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I thought STD was the only term.

spurgeonryan said:
Always wish I was cool enough to have one of these.

Std.

Didn't manbearpig make a thread about you having a horrible STD when you foolishly gave him access to your account?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Aspiring public health professional here...
STI...
There's also a new movement to do away with terms like safe/unsafe sex and protected/unprotected sex...
The new phrase is sex with/without condoms...
If your using PrEP or birth control, then you would say sex with condoms and PrEP/birth control...
Is it a mouthful???
Yes...
Is it more direct and helpful for researchers and people in public health and healthcare???
Yes...

Have a nice day...

Ka-pi96 said:
STD. That's what I learned first, and they are diseases so it's certainly not wrong.

I remember STI was what they tried to bring in because apparently calling them "infections" rather than "diseases" is less "offensive".

Pox sounds like something from the middle ages and I've never even heard of the others before.

So now we have to be PC with diseases to not offend them :) great time we live in /jk

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

So now we have to be PC with diseases to not offend them :) great time we live in /jk

That was 11 or 12 years ago, and it was a great time compared to now. Since nowadays they're making it perfectly legal to intentionally give somebody said diseases

Source?

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Source?

VGC. It was a thread awhile back about California making it legal to have sex with someone knowing you have HIV and not sharing that information with them.

I found a source for the bill, but I don't know if it ended up passing.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-aids-felony-20170315-story.html

But man, just the thought of infected blood makes me feel sick.

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

That was 11 or 12 years ago, and it was a great time compared to now. Since nowadays they're making it perfectly legal to intentionally give somebody said diseases

It is getting crazy... Words hurts but aids is totally fine

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."